Fort Lauderdale-St Augustine-Savannah-Charlston-Jacksonville

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2010, 12:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are Australians arriving in Fort Lauderdale by cruise ship early January. Although we have travelled in your great country many times we have never been further south than Virginia.
We will have 8 days/nights before flying out to San Francisco to take a ship back home.
Our plan is to hire a car at the cruise terminal on early morning arrival, spend the day looking around Ft Lauderdale and first thing the following morning head off to St Augustine with the following itinerary:

2 nights St Augustine staying at Casa Monica
2 nights Savannah staying at Ballastone Inn
2 nights Charleston appreciate suggestions
1 night at Jacksonville " "

Would you good people kindly comment on this trip. We are returning the car at Jacksonville airport where we will fly out from.
We are very interested in history, and period architecture and would love to visit some of the best plantations. Could you please advise us on which are the lovliest homes, settings etc and on how to get there.
Do you think we are doing too much driving? We don't want to be too rushed but realise the second day from Ft Lauderdale to St Augustine will be long. What is a must to see during this part of the trip?

Any suggestions for atmospheric places to stay in Charleston would be very welcome. We want to feel we are in the deep south rather than stay at chain type hotels which could be anywhere.

I think at Jacksonville we will just stay at a hotel near the airport as we will fly out the following morning.

Finally , can anyone please tell us of a good hire car firm who delivers to the cruise terminal at Fort Lauderdale and will let us return the car to the Jacksonville airport. If an email address can be given we would be very appreciative.

Apolagies for all these questions but this is such a great forum and its members have been so helpful to us in the past. Thanks in advance for any advice you all can offer. Cheers.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 02:19 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I cannot comment at all since I haven't done the trip.

However, I live near Ft Lauderdale and this trip (either Charleston & Savanah if flying or adding St Augustine if driving) is on my very short list.

My dilema is to drive or fly. Florida is a very long state and I'm wondering which choice would be better.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 03:32 AM

I can only handle the rental car question of your posting.
You've got a great itinerary together. Hope you enjoy.

Following from the Port Everglades web site. As or more important as cruise terminal service is getting a competitive rate on a one-way rental. Some of the companies have intentionally priced themselves out of one-ways. Also, when renting one-way take care that you don't get a mileage charge in addition to drop fee. Ideally, you should be able to get an unlimited mileage one-way with a drop charge of $50 to $100. You will find shockingly higher quotes.

Car Rental
A number of car rental firms are licensed to do business at Port Everglades. Some companies provide shuttle service from the cruise terminals to their off-site but nearby rental locations. And, the Rental Car Center at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL) houses many rental car companies under one roof that share a shuttle bus to and from Port Everglades. We suggest you confirm shuttle service with the car rental service prior to reserving a vehicle. Check prices for FLL airport pick up.

The following companies are located at the Rental Car Center:

Alamo 800-462-5266 Level 2
Avis 800-331-1212 Level 3
Budget 800-527-0700 Level 4
Continental 800-221-4085 Level 3
Dollar 800-800-4000 Level 4
Enterprise 800-325-8007 Level 4
E-Z Rent A Car 800-277-5171 Level 4
Hertz 800-654-3131 Level 3
National 800-227-7368 Level 2
Payless 800-729-5377 Level 4
Royal 800-314-8616 Level 3
Thrifty 800-847-4389 Level 2
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 04:05 AM

Try Travelocity for information on which car hire companies will permit you to drop off at a different location. Some of the majors (Hertz and Avis, etc.) have a nominal $25 to $50 one way drop off charge. Some are free.

The long part of this driving trip is in the state of Florida from Ft. Lauderdale to St. Augustine and the St. Augustine to Savannah. Savannah and Charleston are fine for a morning drive.

Some of the best preserved plantations, though, are in south Georgia further west of where you will be and I'm not sure it would be worth your trip given the time you have.

Keep in mind that Sherman burned most of the coastal plantations on his way to Savannah. However, the City of Savannah is well worth spending time and just walking the squares can be a very charming way to spend a couple of days. Many homes permit tours and/or viewing.

A fun introduction to Savannah for the "flavor" of the city is "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil." It's also a film with John Cusack, but the book is SOOOO much better. The film was pretty dull in comparison.

As to Charleston, try the Governor's House Inn - pricy but what you're looking for - http://www.governorshouse.com

or

the 15 Church Street B&B - You'll have to google that one, as I could not find a direct link but know it's out there.

There are many more ...
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 04:11 AM

Wait - I just realized your budget based on you staying at the Ballestone Inn.

You will love this: Vendue Inn in Charleston. www.vendueinn.com
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 05:42 AM

one other car tip, most rental cars put a limit on driving out of the state your in--since youl be dropping off in Fl but going thru Ga as well,make sure your rental agreement allows interstate travel--otherwise theres a fine.Ive used National several times for one ways,and they were very good for me.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 05:51 AM
DRJ

I live near Savannah and Charleston and offer this:

Just north of Charleston is Middleton Gardens with an old plantation house and, adjacent, is the Middleton Inn. IMO, one of the finest pieces of contemporary architecture in South Carolina.

For excellent dining in Charleston try McCrady's, just off Bay Street. Google Chuckeats for a generous description of the experience. (bring money)
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 05:57 AM

St. Augustine is fun and have dinner at Casa Monica Hotel and do a tour of the Hotel(I think this is a College now-was originally the first high class hotel in Florida, was built by the railroad magnate that built to Key West.) across the street.

Savannah, the most beautiful city in the US(by far). Would recommend you cancel your hotel and stay at any B&B in town.
Pink House for dinner, Bohemian hotel on the river for drinks and hourdorves upstairs. Do walking tours of the City. And if you have time go to the Bonaventure Cemtery--beautiful angels and monuments
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 11:55 AM

Someplace you might like to add to your itinerary is Jekyll Island, Georgia. It's now a state park, but it once was the winter home of the very rich (Vanderbilts, Goodyears, etc.) and many of their homes have been restored and are open for touring. Also, their hotel, the Jekyll Island Club, has been restored and is again open as a hotel. We have spent many summer vacations on Jekyll Island, but I think it would be wonderful to be there in the winter.
If your flight does not leave Jacksonville too early, you could even stay over for the night at the Jekyll Island Club. The drive from the Club to the Jacksonville airport is less than 90 minutes.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 12:40 PM
DRJ

Of course, if you get to Hilton Head Island, I'll buy you a martini.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 01:02 PM

"St. Augustine is fun and have dinner at Casa Monica Hotel...."
Alternatively, you could walk a few dozen meters south on Cordova Street and have dinner (or breakfast) at the Old City House < http://www.oldcityhouse.com
I have enjoyed their cuisine for 15+ years and have never been disappointed.

Old Aug 27th, 2010, 01:19 PM

>

That would be Flagler College. Even the cafeteria has Tiffany windows. It was a hotel. It is beautiful, and was built by rail and oil magnate Henry Flagler.

Your Savannah Hotel is beautiful. There are many B&Bs in Savannah and some more centrally located - the city is known for them, but the Ballestone is lovely.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Original Poster

A big "thank you" to all you dear people. I have done further research into your suggestions and am so grateful for them all.
Stumpworks73....Your advice and warnings re car rentals have been noted and I will contact a few companies for quotes but am now aware of things to make sure of before final booking.

Mom23rugrats....I read "Midnight in the garden of good and evil" shortly after it was published and it added to my yearning to visit beautiful Savannah. Checked out the web site for both the Governor's House and also Vendue Inn in Charleston .Both look great. Which would be your preference and why? We havent't as yet booked Ballastone in Savannah but definitely love the look and position of it. Is there any other B&B that I should consider, otherwise I will go ahead and book as now our itinerary is falling into place.

Langhorn55. We love your suggestion of staying the last night on Jekyll Island. We don't fly out until early afternoon so I will book at the Jekyll Island Club. It looks fabulous and being able to visit a number of homes on the island is just an added bonus. To know the island is only about a 90 minute drive to Jacksonville airport makes it just perfect and so much better than staying in some concret old airport hotel.
Thank you so much for this suggestion.

I appreciate every post and can't tell you how much we are looking forward to visiting this part of the U.S.

One final request. Are there any must stop at places on the long part
of
the trip from Ft Lauderdale to St Augustine? Where should we stop for lunch?

Oh, that brings me to just one more question. What are the MUST eat Southern dishes? I have glanced at the menues from a number of recommended restaurants and some of the cuisine is very unfamiliar to us. Grits e.g. Would love a short list of things we definitely should try in our Southern travels and maybe for us ignorant Aussies, a translation may be benefitial.

Thanks again to you all. If you think of anything else that may be helpful please post. We are soooooooooooo looking forward to our trip. Cheers.
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 04:26 AM

Shrimp and grits, fried green tomatoes, she crab soup, collard greens, ok now I'm hungry. Oysters will be in season in January-delish. High Cotton in Charleston is great too. It's not that gastronomical wonderland that is McCrady's but it's great.
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 06:11 AM

Shrimp & grits, fried okra and hushpuppies ... Typical "Southern " food is battered and fried .. I miss it now and then, having grown up on it . Peach or berry cobblers are nice desserts too.
(grits - imagine white polenta) Biscuits with gravy too .. all for breakfast and do not miss the Chocolate Pralines on River Street !

We really loved the Old Pink House for dinner .. we stayed at the Hyatt on River Walk, I would stay in one of the B&Bs right in town .. it is a walkable city, you don't want to have to drive and park, so staying in town is preferable, imo.

Don't miss Telfair, a lovely small museum in town.

When we lived in Jacksonville, we used to spend a lot of time in St Augustine, I never loved eating there. I would stick with places in Jacksonville, my favorite being Bistro Aix in the San Marco neighborhood, seconds from the river and hotels.
http://www.bistrox.com/
I would also stay at one of the hotels that is along the River.. the views are lovely at night and there is safe fun walking along RiverWalk..
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 07:14 AM

The Ballastone is a fine Inn. In the Savannah Historic District, it would be hard to err on Inn choice. For high-end food, Cha Bella's, Elizabeth's on 37th, Sapphire Grill, Garibaldi's, and the Pink House are tops. My favorite is the Sapphire Grill. For southern food, Mrs. Wilkes would be my choice over Paula Deens. On your way out of Savannah, for southern barbecue, shrimp, fish, hush puppies, etc. The Pink Pig is hard to beat and it's cheap. It's on the way to Charleston (sort of). From Savannah: Take Oglethorpe Ave to the Talmadge Bridge. The bridge becomes 17 North. Follow 17 about 4 miles. Take a right onto Hwy 170A. Proceed 3.5 miles. The building is on the right just before a caution light. Closed Sunday and Monday. It's a simple matter to get back on the route to Charleston. One benefit of taking the bridge out of Savannah is the view to the north, east and west along the Savannah River. For miles one can see the remnants of the rice culture of post colonial South Carolina and Georgia. As far as the eye can see lies 200 year old rice fields hewn from swamps by slave labor.

About halfway from Jacksonville to Savannah lies the little town of Darien, Ga. It's minutes off of I-95. If you time it around meal time, B&J's Seafood and Steaks is a remarkable place. Don't let the outside appearance mislead you. It has the finest fried shrimp basket on the coast and it costs 10 bucks. The 100 mile corridor of I-95 through Georgia is within a few miles of the old Gullah-Geechee culture. Herein are descendants of slaves who tilled the ricefields of coastal Georgia almost two centuries ago. The influence of this culture on southern cuisine is significant. One resulting stamp of this culture is an unparalleled ability in this region to apply hot grease to shrimp, fish, etc. beyond compare. Not endorsed by the American Heart Association, but mouth-watering just the same. The Boston Globe published a review of the eateries along this corridor two years ago. It's easy to find online.

Have a great trip.
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 09:07 AM

What a great trip you have planned. Savannah, Charleston and St. Augustine are three favorite cities of ours. When planning our trips I gathered quite a lot of information on both Savannah and Charleston and kept my files on both. I also have excerpts from my journal on St. Augustine.

We flew into Jacksonville (from SFO) and spent the night. Drove the next day to Savannah, and after our visit there we drove to St. Augustine. You are staying at the same hotels we did in those two cities and they are both superb!

We went to Charleston last September and stayed at the King Charles Hotel. It is a Best Western, but don't let the chain name put you off. It is a wonderful place in the heart of the historic district.

If you would like my files/info please e-mail me at [email protected] and I will be pleased to send them to you.
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 12:06 PM

"One final request. Are there any must stop at places on the long part of the trip from Ft Lauderdale to St Augustine? Where should we stop for lunch?"

You could take Interstate Highway 95 (I-95) all the way to St. Augustine, but I would recommend Florida's Turnpike to to Orlando, I-4 to Daytona Beach and then connect to I-95 going north to St. Augustine (and Jacksonville). Either way, the scenery is almost nil. The turnpike is a toll road with limited access and much less traffic. You will also make better time going this way. However, your restaurant options will be very limited to turnpike rest stops and the very crowded, undistinguished, chain restaurants there. If you choose to take I-95 all the way, here is a good reference: http://www.i95exitguide.com/index.php

"What are the MUST eat Southern dishes? "

In Florida, Key Lime Pie, for sure.

Elsewhere, try some boiled peanuts. They may be more easily found in roadside stands or trailers, but I have had some in a Charleston restaurant as sort of an appetizer. You can find some of the Southern specialties (grits, biscuits & gravy, etc.) and outstanding blueberry pancakesat a chain of restaurants called Cracker Barrel, often found at or very near to interstate exits (you will see the signs). http://www.crackerbarrel.com/trip-di...cfm?doc_id=173
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 03:43 PM

Two menu items not mentioned are Brunswick Stew when in South Georgia and barbecue in either GA or SC. Barbecue probably means pulled pork with either a vinegar or mustard sauce in this region. Barbecue has local variations in the US. Trying as many as possible to have opinions of your favorites is a worthy and eternal bucket list item.

I am also in favor of shrimp and grits, any preparation of okra, hush puppies, crab bisque, and if nobody said pecan pie, sweet potato pie or shoo fly pie all must be considered.
Old Sep 11th, 2010, 06:34 PM

Sorry to be replying so late, but haven't been on Fodor's for a while.

I lived in Ft Lauderdale 50 yrs and moved to South Carolina five yrs ago, so I can give you some tips.

Most rental car locations are a five minute cab ride from Port Everglades. Most of them are located at Ft Lauderdale airport and you'll probably find a shuttle to the Airport, or it's a 5 minute cab ride.

Check with the rental car company and find out if you can turn the car in at a Savannah location and then get another car for the rest of the trip. In Savannah, inquire as to any additional charges if you return the car to Jacksonville or St Augustine. I've found when I rent a car to go from South Carolina to Florida, it is quite expensive, so I drive to Savannah to rent the car. It seems the rental companies allow two states with no additional charges, but double check with the rental company. Hertz, Enterprise, Avis & Alamo are good companies.

Ft Lauderdale to St Augustine is at least five hours of driving (not including stops.) The best stop along the way is Titusville to tour Cape Canaveral (space shuttle launch area.) Traffic on I-95 will be slow or congested in some areas, but I would not recommend taking the Turnpike route, it will cost more and take you out of your way. However, if you want to bypass some of he traffic in Ft Laud & Palm Beach, you can take the Florida Turnpike from I-595 to Fort Pierce (at Fort Pierce the Turnpike and I-95 almost intersect.) That's the route I used to take when I lived there.

A great stopping off point between Savannah and Charleston is in the City of Beaufort (the area where I live.) You'll see beautiful Antebellum homes and driving there will give you a true flavor of "The Lowcountry". You won't be going out of your way to Charleston because the best route is to take Hwy 17 instead of I-95. (FYI: Charleston is approximately 1-1/2 hrs from Beaufort)

Directions to Beaufort's downtown area: I-95 to Exit 8 in South Carolina; go east (towards Hilton Head) approximately 7 miles to SC-170 East (towards Beaufort); take 170 until it ends at US-21, turn right and follow the roadway to Carteret Street (21 curves and becomes Carteret St); turn right on Bay Street and you will be in the downtown waterfront area, a good place for a meal. The bridge at the waterfront was used in the movie "Forrest Gump". "The Big Chill" and "Prince of Tides" were filmed in this area. If you have time, take "The Prince of Tides" boat cruise (less than 2 hours.) Or you can drive around the area to see the beautiful homes. If you turn left on Bay Street (instead of right, as listed above) you can drive through the neighborhoods and see the historic homes and lovely oak trees. Just drive up and down the streets. (On Carteret Street, stop at The Chocolate Tree for some yummy treats.)

To get back on the road to Charleston, backtrack on Carteret St to US-21. Follow US-21 to US-17 North in Seabrook,SC. US-17 will take you into Charleston. It's a very nice ride and you'll see the Lowcountry in a different way than you will if you take I-95.

I've stayed at The Mill House in Charleston, it is an old hotel, but I liked it. I could walk around the historic area from the hotel.

I have taken your route from Ft Lauderdale to Charleston numerous times and you will enjoy it very much. As others have said, the worst part of the trip is getting to north Florida. After St Augustine, the only bad part of the trip is in Georgia because I-95 has been under construction in various areas for the past five years. Be careful not to speed in the construction zones as the traffic tickes are doubled and it will not be good for your vacation.

I hope this information helps in planning your trip. Be safe and have a wonderful vacation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -