Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Fort Lauderdale in February any suggestions (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/fort-lauderdale-in-february-any-suggestions-21001/)

Sandy Lowe Jan 27th, 1998 08:41 PM

Fort Lauderdale in February any suggestions

My husband and I are planning a week in Southern Florida this February. Accommodations are already taken care of in Fort Lauderdale at Boneventure Resort. We're thinking of visiting Everglades and Biscayne National Parks, Key Largo, Miami Beach, Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale (busy week?). We want to go on a dinner cruise and an air boat ride in the Everglades. Any suggestions? What are the "must see" and "must do" attractions in the area? Also, any suggestions on some good but not super expensive resturants in the area? Thanks for any input.

Kelli Higginbotham Feb 2nd, 1998 04:30 AM

I typed a long response to your inquiry, only to find out that it wouldn't post for some reason; also tried to e-mail you directly but your e-mail would not accept letters from my address. If you still have any questions you can write me directly. I live in Palm Beach and would be happy to help.
Kelli

seth murphy Feb 6th, 1998 08:10 PM

hi kelli
this is my third attempt at a message to you!hope this one works. anyhow---i'm traveling with wife and 14 mos. old daughter march 3-6 to palm beach area. last minute reservations left us with only
2 choices. the hawiain inn of palm beach and the boca raton hilton on deerfield beach. please advise which to choose (if either) or be so kind to suggest
a few preferably on the beach. many thanks

Cheryl Feb 6th, 1998 10:11 PM

Hi... my boyfriend and I just returned from South Florida. It was my fourth trip to the area, so here are my suggestions: If you can, go to South Beach in Miami Beach. Daytime is nice, less crowded, but if you like nightlife, it's also the place to be. There are wonderful restaurants there and the people watching is great. If you like good food, head to Boca to this place (I believe) called Max's Grille. Key Largo and the whole upper keys are not worth seeing, in my estimation, though perhaps I'd have a different opinion if we had been there snorkeling on a sunny day. It's a long drive from Ft. Lauderdale and there is so much to see in Miami, that I would concentrate on the metro region. But I've never been to Key West or the Everglades. Have fun!

sharon Feb 7th, 1998 05:49 PM

my suggestions: don't drive to the keys. It takes forever this time of year & the multicultural/multigenerational driving experience on I95 can be frustrating & very slow. Unless you are wanting to snorkel (come back in about 4 mos or more), Key Largo has little to offer. Very cold water right now and it's been so choppy.

My picks: Miami: South Beach: drive down from Ft. L & have late breakfast at the News Cafe. You will see at least 1 famous or infamous person. Walk the streets to scope where you want dinner that night.
Drive to Coral Gables & see the Venetian Pool which is a public pool but lovely, tour Viscaya which is a stunning home & garden, go shopping in Coconut Grove. Back to So Be for dinner.

Ft. Lauderdale: my pick for dinner is the California Cafe. There may be some better restaurants (very $$$) but this one is more reasonable, has great innovative food & wine, & one of the best locations ever. (Pier 66). The yachts (200'long megaships) are parked outside and you can sit outside & watch the beautiful boats on the Intracoastal Waterway. We've never had a decent meal on a dinner cruise so I can't make a recommendation. Be prepared for tacky tourist stuff in the everglades but look carefully & see nature in it's most subtle mode: the sea of grass.

sharon Feb 7th, 1998 05:53 PM

my suggestions: don't drive to the keys. It takes forever this time of year & the multicultural/multigenerational driving experience on I95 can be frustrating & very slow. Unless you are wanting to snorkel (come back in about 4 mos or more), Key Largo has little to offer. Very cold water right now and it's been so choppy.

My picks: Miami: South Beach: drive down from Ft. L & have late breakfast at the News Cafe. You will see at least 1 famous or infamous person. Walk the streets to scope where you want dinner that night.
Drive to Coral Gables & see the Venetian Pool which is a public pool but lovely, tour Viscaya which is a stunning home & garden, go shopping in Coconut Grove. Back to So Be for dinner.

Ft. Lauderdale: my pick for dinner is the California Cafe. There may be some better restaurants (very $$$) but this one is more reasonable, has great innovative food & wine, & one of the best locations ever. (Pier 66). The yachts (200'long megaships) are parked outside and you can sit outside & watch the beautiful boats on the Intracoastal Waterway. We've never had a decent meal on a dinner cruise so I can't make a recommendation. Be prepared for tacky tourist stuff in the everglades but look carefully & see nature in it's most subtle mode: the sea of grass.

sharon Feb 7th, 1998 06:01 PM