Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Fort Lauderdale Car Rental: Can you drop your car off at the port?

Notices

Old Feb 8th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking of renting a car from the time we get to Fort Lauderdale Airport, until time for the cruise. Only problem is returning the car and getting a ride to the port. It seems silly to pay for a cab when we had a rental car. Can you return your rental car to the port? Are there just some rental companies who have a store there.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 01:20 PM

I'm not aware of any car rentals in the port. However, the airport is very close by, as are most of the car rental places. It shouldn't cost much to grab a cab. There is a car rental place very close to the port entrance, if I can find the previous post, I'll let you know which one it is.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 01:28 PM

Budget is supposed to have a car rental place at 1515 S.E. 17 Street. This is so close to the Port that it is within walking distance of one of the entrances, but with luggage and newer security measures, I'm sure you wouldn't be walking to the Port. Besides, it's a big port and your ship might not be close to 17th Street.

I hope this info helps.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 06:36 PM

All of the rental car lots are off-site of the actual airport and some of them may even have shuttle buses running to the port. Why don't you ask if any of them can shuttle you to the port, which is pretty close to the airport?
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 06:59 PM

"All of the rental car lots are off-site of the actual airport. . ." Huh? We rent and return cars both with National and Dollar. They along with others are right on the airport grounds, sort of to the side of the parking garage area. Incidentally the big construction going on is mainly for new rental car locations, actually their own garage semi-attached to the main parking ones.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 09:30 PM
Original Poster

Heartburn3,

Do you think the Budget place on 17th St. would be too far for my husband to drop me and the kids with the luggage off at our ship, and then he take the car back and walk to the ship himself alone? We have to do this a lot when we visit Chicago...He drops us off, and then he goes and drives around until he finds a meter and then walks to wherever we are...a lot cheaper than $15 an hour for a parking garage. Sometimes he has to walk a long way but doesn't mind to save money, and he is in good shape.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 09:41 PM
Original Poster

Another question for you, Heartburn3:
I saw you said you usually stay at Hyatt Pier 66 in Ft. Lauderdale. Do they provide free (complementary)airport and port shuttles?
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 09:41 PM

I haven't stayed at Pier 66, just been there for parties, etc.

Which ship are you taking? Do you know which dock # it is at? I can check to see if it's very far from 17th Street. I was in the area tonight and tried to find the Budget Car Rental on 17th St and didn't see it. If you decide to use it, get good directions. It's a busy area and I may have missed it in the dark.

There are plenty of hotels in the area with shuttles to the port/airport. Embassy Suites, AmeriSuites, Comfort Inn, and I'm sure there are others. There's an Extended Stay and Holiday Inn Express in the same area on 17th St, they might have shuttles, too.

Also, like the previous poster mentioned, check with the car rental agency and see if they will shuttle you to the port.