Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Forks: Mill Creek Inn...or other? Lake Crescent/Quinault tips?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/forks-mill-creek-inn-or-other-lake-crescent-quinault-tips-621848/)

Daydreamer Jun 8th, 2006 03:49 AM

Forks: Mill Creek Inn...or other? Lake Crescent/Quinault tips??

Saw Mill Creek Inn cabins online & they appear decent. Considering staying in Forks, to be near hike at Lake Ozette.

Thinking if we stay at Lake Cresent or Quinalt that might be too far from Ozette to do the whole 9 mile hike plus drive...but perhaps others can advise?

Anyone stay at Mill Creek before?

Lastly, w/Lake Crescent...
for those who have stayed there before...
any tips on the best rooms to shoot for...
or even exact numbers you've enjoyed? :-)

I know odds are slim to have much/any choice...just would *love* your wisdom if you're a fan of it (OR Lake Quinault Lodge).
Thanks so very, very much. :-)

happytrailstoyou Jun 8th, 2006 05:51 AM

We stayed at Mill Creek Inn a few years ago--in a small cabin behind the main house.

It is a simple place geared toward housing people who go fishing. (The hosts will get up at any early hour to serve breakfast.)

In another post you ask about rooms at Lake Crescent Lodge. I suggest Marymere, which is right on the water; however, it has always been booked when I've tried to reserve there. My second choice is Pyramid Mountain rooms, which are farter back in the woods. However, you can't go wrong at this lodge--the setting is spectacular and the restauant is good.

Daydreamer Jun 8th, 2006 04:06 PM

Thanks so much! So, it seems you didn't think all that much then of Mill Creek? Online it looks like the cabins are very nice, but...sometimes photos can be deceiving... :-\

Thanks for the concrete ideas of which rooms at Crescent Lake. (if I have any choice of ANY rooms) :-)
So appreciate it!

JohnInMiami Jun 9th, 2006 05:22 AM

Olympic Suites in Forks http://www.olympicsuitesinn.com.

suelh Jun 9th, 2006 01:09 PM

Hello--not sure about distance for lodging/hiking in the Lake Ozette area, and hope you get some advice.

Regarding Lake Crescent Lodge, I agreee that Marymere Rooms are nice to stay in at Lake Crescent. As for Lake Quinault Lodge, the fireplace rooms are the nicest, we think. Restaurants at both places are good, and both lodges and lakes have unique, beautiful, and distinctive appeal.

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful trip--you are in "God's Country!"

Clousie Jun 9th, 2006 06:48 PM

We really enjoyed Manitou Lodge near Forks. It's on a side road west of town, and therefore closer to the beaches. Lots of room to spread out in a very peaceful setting.

http://www.manitoulodge.com/index.html

Daydreamer Jun 10th, 2006 02:56 AM

Thanks for all the tips, you guys! :-)

Re: Manitou...which room did you stay in, if you recall? Did you stay a few nights?

Now I have to decide whether to make the full loop w/only 3 days or less or whether to do Hurricane Ridge...things near Lake Crescent, then our big hike near Lake Ozette...
then back to SeaTac via Port Townsend vs. going around through Quinault & Tacoma.

Not sure which takes less time...and returns the best experience. :-)
(have seen ONP but 10 yrs ago...
did the full loop then)

Did not see Sol Du or Marymere last time.

happytrailstoyou Jun 10th, 2006 09:50 AM

Our favorite way to do the ONP loop is clockwise--starting at Lake Quinault via Tacoma and Olympia. That way we save the best for last and return on the ferry with those great skyline views.

Daydreamer Jun 10th, 2006 01:44 PM

Thanks for that tip.
We may be able to head that direction (clockwise) if we do ONP first, after we get into the area. (either by flying or driving)

At this point in time, flying is looking unlikely...just way too expensive! :-\ 4th of July time period...just too popular, I guess.

In that case, since heading to San Juans afterwards (if I manage this plan) :-)
I guess we'd get ourselves to Anacortes then to hit San Juan Island next. (or maybe travel via Victoria, but will be tight on time so unlikely)

Thanks again!
Btw, HappyTrails...if we had to choose either Lake Quinault OR Lake Crescent...is your clear fave Lake Crescent, or....?

happytrailstoyou Jun 10th, 2006 02:33 PM

Yes, because it is better located for more of the things there are to do in the ONP.

Quinault Lodge is a short drive off the road, and the historic part of the lodge is well worth a visit.

Make Ruby Beach one of your stops on the way.

The Hoh Rain Forest is at least an hour drive in and another hour out, and, considering time constraints, you will see what amounts to a rain forest when you take the easy hike to Marymere Falls.

Daydreamer Jun 11th, 2006 11:53 PM

Thanks again! Looks like Quinault is a bit more quaint than Lake Crecent...the lodge, I mean.

But if we have to cut out part of ONP, this time, since vacationing north of here too...and needing to allow time
for driving 2 days to the area...
and back...
then it looks like the Hurricane Ridge/Crescent area lends itself better to a mini-ONP getaway...

Still will be sad if we can't do more.
Choices, choices!