Search

Ford's Theatre

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford's Theatre

Received this from a DT newsletter today and thought I'ds pass it along:

"The historic Ford's Theatre (511 10th Street) will be closed to the public through November 2007 due to renovations and upgrades. No performances or tours will be held during this time. The theater will re-open in November 2007 with a production of the Charles Dickens classic, "A Christmas Carol." For more information, visit www.fordstheatre.org.:
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 03:02 PM
jgg

Thanks repete. We are headed to DC in a few weeks and had this on my list. Glad to know BEFORE we walk over there that it is closed.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 05:01 AM

The Peterson House, where Lincoln passed away, is still open. If that interests you at all.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 02:36 PM

This is the full announcement on the website:

"Please note: Ford's Theatre Historic Site -- both theatre and museum-- will be closed to the public until November 2007. when the theatre will reopen for our annual production of Dickens' classic A Christmas Carol. Tickets will go sale Monday, September 17th at 10 am. The theatre will then close again until November 2008. During these periods when the building is closed to the public, the theatre will undergo a comprehensive renovation. Please check back for updates throughout the summer."

Aside from "A Christmas Carol", Ford's is closed until November 2008.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 03:51 PM

FYI, anyone who is interested in this subject should definitely read "Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer" by James L. Swanson. A fascinating read which describes what happened at Ford's that night in great detail plus of course what happened after.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 03:54 PM

Yes, I would recommend that book too.

And, there are specialized tours given of the escape route by Smithsonian Associates and/or the Surrat House Museum. Check the websites if you are interested.

When you get to the place where Booth died, there is only a spike to remind people that that is the place--and it is on the side of a major highway which runs more or less right through the property. Virginia, I think, simply wanted to forget about it. The route is much better marked in Maryland.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 03:59 PM

Ford's Theater and the Museum were some of the highlights of our trip to Washington. The Peterson House was also interesting. The size of the theater and tiny room where Lincoln died are miniscule compared to my imagination of the event. I can hardly believe that John Wilkes Booth broke his leg jumping from the balcony. If you are in DC when it reopens, you would be well served to tour it.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 06:11 PM

While Ford's is closed, go take a look at the back of the theater. You have to go around some eternal construction to get to it. The dirt path you see is the "street" Booth rode his horse down after the assassination. It was then called "Baptist Alley".

Remnants of our country's history are all over DC. If anyone of you would like a personal tour of some of the sites connected with the assassination in DC, I would be happy to do it. Watch out though, I charge. I am a licensed tour guide here. If anyone is interested, email me privately at [email protected].

With all the triumph and tragedy in US history, the Lincoln assassination remains Washington's saddest story. Lincoln was such a giant. You can even see pieces of buildings that were here at the time. His summer White House on the grounds of the Soldier's Home is being renovated and should open for tours at some point.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 07:49 PM

I was at Ford's Theater / House where Lincoln Died a couple summers ago. The HWLD can be closed from time to time due to heat. I don't think it's air conditioned? The house was open when we went into the theater and had been closed right before we headed across the street to see it.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 08:20 PM

The Peterson House, where Lincoln died, now has air conditioning.