For those of you without kids.....

Oct 14th, 2002, 09:06 AM
Bobbie

For those of you without kids.....

I am curious about something. I have a good friend and she and her husband always vacation the last week of June and the first week of July. They don't have kids so I can't figure out why they don't take advantage of off season prices and go then.

Oct 14th, 2002, 09:09 AM
S

I know people whose company literally shuts down for a particular week during the year and EVERYONE takes their vacation that week.

Oct 14th, 2002, 09:17 AM
jvs

Most times, that is the slow season for many companies so travel is, by default, expected. Frankly, I prefer to travel off season.

Oct 14th, 2002, 09:24 AM
No Kids Have We

Bobbie: Hubby and I are child-less. We mainly vacation when school is in session. We always book a cottage the week after Labor Day - beaches are deserted, water is still warm and rates are down.
I purposely avoid school vacation days to schedule our get-aways. For instance, we are renting a house for a 4 day weekend at the end of this week, vs this past weekend, due to the Columbus Day holiday.

Oct 14th, 2002, 09:28 AM
Bobbie

Thank you for the replies. She says they prefer that time. Personally, being childless, my husband and I also go off season.

Oct 14th, 2002, 09:34 AM
Jen

Another minor factor: Since the first week in July includes the July 4 holiday, you get a two-week vacation but only use up 9 of your vacation days, rather than the 10 that would be required for most other summer intervals. And many vacation destinations have special events around the 4th.

Oct 14th, 2002, 09:36 AM
MYOB

I wish that I had so little on my mind!Bobbie, you need to find something to do with your time instead of wondering about your friends vacation habits.

Oct 14th, 2002, 09:48 AM
Bobbie

You are telling me to MYOB? That's rich.

Oct 14th, 2002, 09:52 AM
Eric

My wife and I have no children yet, but she teaches elementary school and we are therefore stuck to vacationing when school is out. I would much rather travel off season, but we can't do it.

Oct 14th, 2002, 09:54 AM
suzanne

I have no kids and have NEVER taken, and would never take, a vacation during the summer. September and May are great for traveling in Europe, so that's when I always go. In February (b/f most spring breaks) I head to the Caribbean, Florida, or Mexico, and in April or October I go to Vegas and the nearby national parks. I get the best weather at all these destinations and still avoid the crowds. Hoping to get in all the vacations I can before I have some little ones!

Oct 14th, 2002, 10:01 AM
MJ

Anyone else notice the hypocrisy in MYOB's note?

Criticizing others for having so little 'on their minds' while she wiles away her time on a travel forum???

Ha!!
What a beast.
Bet her husband has all the personality of a shrew, if she has one.

Oct 14th, 2002, 10:36 AM
ncgrrl

Maybe they are meeting family/friends who have children.

Maybe they have held onto the notion of 'summer vacation' from their school days.

As others said, it might be a good time work-wise to take vacation.

June/July is low season for the Carribean.

Have you asked your friend about this.

Oct 14th, 2002, 12:41 PM
maybethey

I don't understand this. I'm counting the minutes until my vacations don't revolve around the school calendar!

Why anyone would choose to vacation when prices are high, places and resorts are crowded and kids are everywhere (yes, even though I have a few of my own), is beyond me.

Oct 14th, 2002, 12:52 PM
Melissa

I also am childless, and my husband and I NEVER vacation in June/July. However, the person who says that you use less vacation time makes sense to me. We vacation in March to Sanibel Island, and usually do a weekend trip in April/May and then a big trip in September/October.
Granted we live on Cape Cod, so the whole summer is a vacation!

Oct 14th, 2002, 12:56 PM
Sarah

I am childless the market is down in August. Also I like Hawaii better in summer, sun is stronger days are brighter less overcast and rain. Would prefer Early September travel to Europe but that is my busiest time at work.

Oct 14th, 2002, 01:07 PM
jb

We went to the Riviera for our honeymoon in the middle of June and were thrilled to go during the season. Yes, there were more people (including children) but the weather was amazing and the energy level was very high.

Last year we went to St. Barts during the off-season and we were very disappointed. It was beautiful but the energy level was very low and not many people were around.

So there you have it. We will go during the season no matter what because it is worth it even if there are more kids there.

Oct 14th, 2002, 01:15 PM
Samala

jb: Who's energy level? Your own? The natives? The tourists?
If I'm on vacation, my energy level is peaked - don't care about others'.

Oct 14th, 2002, 01:27 PM
Lenore

My husband and I are also a child-free (not child-less!) couple. We like to combine vacation time with normal paid days off, such as Memorial Day, the Fourth, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas/New Years. You can stretch more weeks into your overall vacation time if you wisely combine it with company paid holidays.

Oct 14th, 2002, 01:30 PM
Mary

I'm with you JB. Went to St. Lucia in the off season and in a less touristy part of town. After about 4 days....BORING!

Oct 14th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Sarah

Agree JB I don't like the energy level in the off season in all places either. I will say Europe and Italy especially is nicer in the off season.

I would never turn down my nose at Hawaii any time of year but I do prefer the high energy of summer travel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO