Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

For those of you looking for a place to go in NYC for Thanksgiving dinner

Old Nov 9th, 2007, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stumbled upon this place while looking for a prix fixe wine menu but noticed they have a very nice and reasonable thanksgiving special.

St. Andrews on w. 44th St, www.standrewsnyc.com. The comments on both menupages and zagats (no regular rating yet because it's too new) are excellent.

Has anybody eaten here, and tried the wine menu? It's very reasonable as compared to the wine menu at the former Cite (which I always enjoyed).
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 10:01 AM

I've never been, but if you end up going, please report back on the food. I'm always on the lookout for good, mid-priced places for pre-theater dining.

If you ask me, I think one of the best deals in town is the wine pairings with the prix-fixe at Aquavit Cafe. The only problem is that you have to like Scandinavian cusine and the menu is fairly limited, but it's really good value for the price.
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 02:05 PM

I've eaten at ST. Andrews a number of times and always enjoyed it, but I think of it more as a "glorified pub", especially popular with local business people for a quick and efficient lunch. I don't put it anywhere near the same category of restaurant as Cite, for example. And certainly nowhere near the caliber of Aquavit!

But I'm confused by your comment about it being new? I've been going there for four or five years. Has it changed hands or something?
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 02:11 PM

Regarding the wine menu, I'm not sure what that includes at St. Andrews (a full bottle?), but they list an inexpensive Chilean malbec and Morrow Bay Cab as the two red options, which both sell for something like $12.95 a bottle in the grocery. That has NO relation to the fine wines they used to do for the wine dinner at Cite. In fact, the "deal" doesn't sound great at all to me at St. Andrews. Even if it's unlimited wine, I'd prefer a really nice glass of wine to an "all you can drink" house type wine.

Old Nov 9th, 2007, 02:53 PM

I've been to St. Andrew's. I agree with NeoPatrick that it's basically a glorified pub. In fact, I would say that the meal I had there was mediocre.