Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

For all it's worth, I personally preferred the previous version of Travel Talk travel forums, not that new one. Anyone else agree with me?

Search

For all it's worth, I personally preferred the previous version of Travel Talk travel forums, not that new one. Anyone else agree with me?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 11:27 AM
jan

Keep the original format!

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 11:34 AM
Ginny

You and me both! I found the new version hard on the old eyes.

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 11:48 AM
keep

keep this one - that is, the one running right now - Friday 4/13 3:45 est.

and please post the name of the vendor that's having all the trouble with the new version.

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 07:10 AM
lisa

Yes, I agree -- I like this version (the restored old version) better than the new one they keep trying to change over too. I wish they'd just leave it alone because this version is great!

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 06:20 PM
roanne

Maybe Fodors realized it made a mistake. Perhaps that's why we have the old style forum back.

Does the term "New Coke" mean anything to you?

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 06:53 AM
NewCoke?

Nope...

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 07:31 AM
Bob Brown

I live in Georgia, and when the new coke came out, old Coke was gone from the shelves and the new stuff just sat there. Even Coca Cola understood that declining sales were helping Pepsi more than Coke. But in a face saving effort, the old Coke returned as Coke Classic. For a while, both versions were in the monopolized vending machines on the UGA campus.
A lot of people here regarded the move as akin to sacrilege and blasphemy on the same level as defaming Jesus.
I remember standing by a vending machine when two physical plants fellows walked up to take a break. One of them bought a can of the New Coke. He took one swig, swore expressivly saying something like "What the &*(& is this (&(*)*."
Then he poured it in the bushes with more vigorous language.

As for the new Fodors format, I found several things I liked. I often embed URL's in my postings, so having them show up as clickable entities was great.
And some of the sorting features were nice too. But on the whole, the window shrunk too much and Fodors seems to have too little computational horse power to pull the new load. The system probably does not have enough telecommunications ports either. From the error messages that appeared on my screen, it like they were running Oracle, and Oracle is a system that requires a lot of resources.
It will take a major upgrade of facilities to make all those bells and whistles work.

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 11:14 AM
PhysicalPlantsFellows?

Triffids drink Coke ?

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 03:05 PM
old

The Coke analogy is perfect; they tried to fix what wasn't broken. Fodor's, please listen to us!!!