Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Footwear for day hikes in yosemite? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/footwear-for-day-hikes-in-yosemite-886955/)

Singlemost Apr 17th, 2011 12:48 AM

Footwear for day hikes in yosemite?

I already have a nice pair of hiking boots but there heavy. I was considering the trail running low cut hiking shoes. I will have a osprey pack with about 15 pounds in it. These day trips include half dome one of the days.
What do you think? Will there be a very noticeable difference in comfort?

tomfuller Apr 17th, 2011 05:59 AM

Stick with the hiking boots. If yours are too heavy, shop for some lighter ones. There is a strong possibility that you will sprain your ankle with the low cut shoes. Rescue from the high country in Yosemite is very expensive if you can't walk.
Break in your new shoes before heading to Yosemite.

spirobulldog Apr 17th, 2011 12:55 PM

It might depend on how good your ankles are. If you are subject to turning your ankles, absolutely wear boots. Plus boot tend to make me a little hot, feet sweat more, and then more likely to blister. Proper socks are just about as important.

november_moon Apr 17th, 2011 01:02 PM

For shorter hikes, I would say that low cut shoes would be fine - but you really need hiking boots for Half Dome. It is a major hike.

janisj Apr 17th, 2011 09:39 PM

Since you are planning on Half Dome and Clouds Rest on the same day you'll need the very best/sturdiest footwear possible w/ full ankle support. Anything else would be foolhardy.

Placename Apr 18th, 2011 07:23 AM

And really good socks that don't promote blisters. I like those double-lined socks. And moleskin and other skin treatments. Blisters formed on Day 1 are going to severely prohibit what you do on Day 2

Singlemost Apr 18th, 2011 11:33 AM

Yea I'm worried about my groups feet. I'm told them they must bring lots of high quality socks to change through out the day. Any other way. To train feet?

november_moon Apr 18th, 2011 12:18 PM

I think that your feet will get all the training they need while you are training for the hike itself - other hiking, general endurance and cardio workouts, etc. Your feet will just naturally toughen up.

spirobulldog Apr 18th, 2011 01:08 PM

I'm going to be point blank. If you are asking about what kind of shoes and socks to wear I seriously doubt that you know what you are getting yourself into. The hike to halfdome is incredibly tough. Then you are going to add another tough hike in the same day. There is absolutely no way that this can be done unless you are a serious serious serious olympic-type trained super conditioned athlete.

Do not put yourself at risk and others. It is very expensive and sometimes not even possible to rescue people that get into these kinds of situations.

You also need to factor in the fact that this will be in the middle of July. Temps can be hot at that time. You will all need to be packing plenty of water. You will need to filter water that you get out of any stream.

You didn't answer my question in the other post. What experience do any of you have hiking? You shouldn't start out with a hike like this. There are many other easier hikes with just as stunning and great rewards in Yosemite. Heck just driving down the valley is pretty amazing.

I am not trying to sound negative. This just seems like a disaster that could easily be prevented.

Singlemost Apr 18th, 2011 01:33 PM

Ive hiked half dome already. This will be my 3rd trip into Yosemite. I ask these questions Because im taking a group up there and have always hiked for myself so i needed the opinions from you for my group. I already know most the answers to my own questions, i just want to hear others takes on it to improve myself and my trip.

I have been training my group bi weekly and as the months get closer to July I will really push them like I do myself and gauge their skill and adjust accordingly. I have a lot of local hiking training grounds that some what simulate Yosemite and have high elevation.

I wanted to go to clouds rest but it was never in the plans to actually make it all the way there. Just some extra trail to hike while we are up that way. At the very most ill drop pack ( minus camelbak ) and try to run there.

janisj Apr 18th, 2011 01:41 PM

"<i>Ive hiked half dome already. This will be my 3rd trip into Yosemite. I ask these questions Because im taking a group up there and have always hiked for myself so i needed the opinions from you for my group. I already know most the answers to my own questions, i just want to hear others takes on it to improve myself and my trip.

I have been training my group bi weekly . . . </i>"

OK - now I'm a bit confused. Earlier you posted >><i>any body have experience with driving from southernmost California to Yosemite? Google said 8 hours.. whats it really? </i>"

If you have done this so many times, one would think you already know the answer . . .

ipod_robbie Apr 18th, 2011 01:52 PM

I see fodors own self proclaimed police & chief interrogator has chimed in.

Singlemost Apr 18th, 2011 02:33 PM

Why are you going so far off subject and prying into my personal life?
Not that its any of your business but I moved from Oakland to San Diego.
If your not going to help id appreciate you leaving me be Nancy Drew.

Placename Apr 18th, 2011 02:56 PM

It's best to break in boots/socks by wearing them for smaller hikes consistently. I've read about people regularly brushing their feet and heels with rubbing alcohol to toughen the skin. The blister develops with repetitive motion over skin on high spots and really the only way to toughen is to wear the boots regularly.

Also make sure to take those 3 x 5 inch moleskin sheets and a pair of small scissors to trip them so the edges don't get stuck on your socks. Each ski season I'd go through about 10 packages of moleskin on my left heel just because that's where my boots always rubbed, despite my best intentions.

michele_d Apr 18th, 2011 06:20 PM

I've always carried a tiny roll of duct tape to cover any hot spots that crop up unexpectedly. Works great IMO.