Reload this Page >

Footwear and New Years in NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2000, 12:37 PM
Jennifer

I am hoping someone can give me some insight as to what kind of outerwear I will need for NYC in DEC. I am from Canada and prepare for bitter cold temps. but what should I really expect? Will I need Mittens, Scarves, Hats, Big Coat, and what kind of footwear? Boots??? Also anyone think the New Years in Times Square is worth it or better to do somthing else? Any suggestions are welcome.

Old Nov 15th, 2000, 12:51 PM
Owen O'Neill

It could be balmy and in the 40's at night (not that likely) or may be from the teens to the high twenties at night (more likely). ON occassion we'll have a cold snap at that time of year and temps could be below zero (these are al fahrenheit temps). The biggest issue in NYC winter is the wind. Bitter cold winds, fueled by a coastal location, often blow down the streets or avenues, somehow increased in intensity by funneling through the open spaces caused by such a density of buildings. This morning a case in point: I walked down 8th Ave from the bus station, quite comfortable wearing my suit and no coat. As I turned onto 34th Street I was overwhelmed by a bitterly cold wind coming down 34th. A few hundred yards later I was shivering and wished I'd brought a coat and gloves. Best advice will be no suprise to a Canadian: dress in layers for maximum warmth and flexibility, if possible having a knapsack or something else to keepp unused or removed items in if it gets warmer than anticipated. Can't comment on New year's Eve as I have no interest in it and stay home.

Old Nov 15th, 2000, 01:08 PM
Diane

Two years ago my daughter and some friends went to celebrate her 21st birthday in NYC (lucky girl, always a big party on Dec 31). They had a fabulous time, wore layers, scarves, boots, mittens, (it was really cold!). Didn't do Times Square, but found a fun club for the night and ran out to the street at midnight to pop champagne and dance and sing. Pretty memorable 21st!

Old Nov 16th, 2000, 05:08 AM
AC

Hi Jennifer:
New Year's Eve in Times Square is 1 million people corraled into pens of NYPD barricades for 6 blocks square. It is cold, crowded and bathroom facilities are practically non-existant. It is for the brave and young!! I did it once a long time ago...never again. Find a nice pub with a TV and a party atmosphere. You'll have a warm place with a bathroom and a place to sit down. Have a great time in NYC.

Old Nov 16th, 2000, 05:29 AM
Susan

Yes, layers are essential. Not only can it get mighty cold outdoors, it can be
terribly hot indoors and on the subway.

As for shoes, comfort is most important.
You'll definitely want to be able to do plenty of walking without your feet hurting. I would suggest a pair of black
(always good in NY) low lace-up boots with good traction. If the weather is mild, you'll be in fashion. If the weather is wet, slushy, snowy or icy, you can put on a pair of thick socks and be warm, dry, and steady.

And yes, yes, yes, to scarf, mittens, and hat!

Old Nov 16th, 2000, 07:29 AM
cherie

I took the kids back east to visit longtime friends in Ny and NJ for New Years. Wear thich-soled shoes or boots. Our friend, a NJ attorney, was wearing his "court clothes" because he had just come home when we nabbed him to go with us for a ride. When we were walking around he could hardly walk because his feet were numb. The locals will tell you....take the time to put on those boots or thick-soled shoes! I wore an anorak and could leave it open if it was balmy or zip it up when it was cooler. When we went to see the Xmas Tree at Rockefeller Plaza, I noticed a lot of the locals in furs and pashminas, but I had the feeling they walked from nearby LuxoApartments or had been dropped off in limos. Most of the people were bundled up.