Football road trip to Charlotte

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are coming to Charlotte for the Panther/Ravens game and have a couple of questions
. I have been doing homework, but need to know if there are alot of hotels in walking distance to stadium.
Also, we will be there two nights and would like some ideas for dinners. We like bbq (like we have seen on Diners Drive-ins and Dives) and also places with good local cooking too , maybe alittle more formal. Thanks, we will be nice visiting fans! .
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 10:32 AM

If you are a Ravens fan, no doubt you will be rewarded with a win.

There are lots of hotels within walking distance, virtually all hotels in the Uptown area (our downtown) are walking distance. You can be very close, or a 10 to 15 minute walk. Only the Blake Hotel or the Crown Plaza are too far in my opinion. What level hotel are you looking for and I can make better suggestions.

If you like DD&D, The Penguin about 2 miles from uptown I think was actually on the show. There are currently some management changes going on there (quite the scandal here), but I'd guess it's about the same greasy spoon it's always been. Be prepared to wait in line.

Mac's BBQ, about 2 miles the other way from Uptown, is a fun place with good BBQ. Sounds like your kind of place. Can get busy, but better chance of not waiting than at the Penguin.
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 01:48 PM

We went last year and stayed at the Charlotte Mariott City Center... excellent location right between Stadium and Bar and Restaurants... also has Champions Sports bar in lobby and the added bonus.... drumroll....... many of the teams stay there... The Bills were in the hotel which made it a little security hassle, but it was fun... the perfect choice for a Football Road Trip... have fun...

PS The Panther Fans are the nicest hosts I have ever experienced... and I have been to 28 of the 32 cities...
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 01:58 PM

I agree w/Brian, some other local eateries that I tend to favor - http://www.priceschickencoop.com/, http://fuelpizza.com/, http://www.mertsuptown.com/, http://www.lupiescafe.com/start.html, http://almikestavern.com/ These, for the most part, tend to the 'dives' side of things, but you can't beat the food or prices.
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 03:24 PM

We love the Dunhill! It is walkable, but old style enough to be something different/
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 03:33 PM

gary22's right about teams staying at the Marriott. One Saturday we went to Champions to watch a college game we could only see there and saw an entire NFL team getting off their buses. It was quite an event in the lobby.
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 04:30 PM

There are one or two right next to the stadium. The Westin is VERY close.
Thanks for the compliment about us as fans.
The Dunhill is an "experience". REALLY old style elegance and great if that is what you want.
Right across the street from the Penquin is DISH, also on DDD. Price's Chicken COOP is the place for fried chicken.
Peter Reinhart has a pizza place downtown--Pie Town. Not your mama's pizza, and it isn't for takeout.
Have fun. We'll seeya there.
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 05:05 PM

Gary, wow, you have been to 28 NFL cities? For Bills games? I thought that I was quite the fan, but you put me to shame. Do you have Bills season tickets or do you just like travelling to see them? I'm curious, what are the cities that you haven't been to?
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 05:55 AM

Kathy... my misses are Baltimore, Washington, San Diego, and Seattle... Been a Season Tix for 43 years and seen all 4 SuperBowls... that's a lot of wasted money (LOL)... and they keep building new stadiums so many of these trips were years ago... a cheap way to see cities has been to grab the weekend Bills game package that includes flight, hotel, transfers, and game tickets... a lot of the times they have a last minute discount on the package just to fill the seats... Go Bills?
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help. Most hotels are booked so we chose courtyard by M.. which looks fine and is walkable (and we get points). First time in Charlotte so am looking forward to it.
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 12:09 PM

Gary, I've "wasted" alot of money on the Bills too! We've had season tickets for 30 years and also went to all 4 Super Bowls. We've gone to a few away games, but not nearly as many as you have! This year is the pits.