Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Foodie Foodie Foodie! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/foodie-foodie-foodie-678153/)

bardo1 Feb 9th, 2007 03:59 AM

Foodie Foodie Foodie!

Sorry for the rant, but this tired term was retired back in 2004 (or earlier!). Enough already. Just seeing it in the listings is like nails on a blackboard to me.

vjpblovesitaly Feb 9th, 2007 05:10 AM

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the title! Foodie - what a dopey word.

Dukey Feb 9th, 2007 05:38 AM

Well, Bardo...now you know what to do when somebody here uses that term...we expect you to charge right in and blast them for it.

Now about that term "passive-aggressive" LOL!

highflyer Feb 9th, 2007 05:44 AM

The colors prompted me to check if this was a rec for Valentine's Day restaurants!!!!

marginal_margiela Feb 9th, 2007 05:51 AM

Tough crap what you think. If I want to use "foodie" I will.

When you start writing a food column for the NY TIMES, maybe I will pay attention to you.

Thin

sandi_travelnut Feb 9th, 2007 11:41 AM

ahhh ThinGorjus

FainaAgain Feb 9th, 2007 11:46 AM

From Oxford Dictionary:

foodie (also foody)

• noun (pl. foodies) informal a person with a strong interest in food; a gourmet.

Nothing about retirement.

It's like abortion: if you don't like it, don't use it, Bardo.

christy1 Feb 9th, 2007 02:34 PM

If you are going to bash the word, at least propose an alternative so that people with a strong interest in food can get their point across in their thread title.

Though I'm not sure why anyone would ask here for food advice rather than egullet.org, chowhound.com, or mouthfulsfood.com.

NeoPatrick Feb 9th, 2007 02:48 PM

christy, I'll answer that last question for you. Chowhound is the MOST user unfriendly site I've ever gone to. If you want a nice restaurant in a particular location you could spend hours trying to click back and forth to find nebulous responses about specific places. And even then most posters never mention anything like specific prices or ordering suggestions.

Why come here? Because people will often give specific advice to people who ask specific questions -- that's why.

And I think some of you should get over being upset about the word Foodie. It is in common usage today and most people who are well traveled know exactly what is meant when someone says he's a Foodie. I agree. If you want to retire the word, give us an alternative.

bardo1 Feb 10th, 2007 04:54 AM

Good point. What was ever wrong with <b>gourmet</b> or even <b>epicure</b>. Both fall much easier on the ear and the eyes.

Heck if you want a more trendy sounding word, why not something like <b>gastronaut</b>?

BTW, <b>IS</b> there a major food critic today who still uses &quot;foodie&quot;? Who?

iamq Feb 10th, 2007 06:55 AM

Well, someone is still using it. Just yesterday I got some advertising in the mail from David Rosengarten editor of the Rosengarten Report, &quot;The Private Newsletter for Passionate Foodies&quot;. This thing has the word foodie all over it. Never heard of the guy.

-Bill

monet77 Feb 10th, 2007 07:14 AM

David Rosengarten used to have a TV show on the Food network in NYC. He is the author of The Dean and DeLuca Cookbook. I believe he has written other cookbooks, but I am not familiar with them.

annesherrod Feb 10th, 2007 08:19 AM

The lady from NPR - Lynn Rosetta Kasper (sp) still says that ALL the time.
Doesn't bother me....

LucieV Feb 27th, 2007 04:50 PM

I couldn't agree more with the op. It's like &quot;gourmet.&quot; Except foodie isn't even pretentious, just comical.

NeoPatrick Feb 28th, 2007 05:19 AM

A gourmet is something else.

If a person can't wait for the new opening of a top sushi bar in his neighborhood and wants to try the latest creations (let's say they're offering some before unheard of fish selections) then that person is a foodie. He may not be a gourmet.

A person whose favorite restaurant has won many awards and is known for their classic French creations and sauces, service, and decor -- true old fashioned excellence -- then that person is a gourmet. He may not be a foodie.

GoTravel Feb 28th, 2007 05:21 AM

If I'm not mistaken, you have to be in the business to post on eGullet.com or pay.

Celebrity chefs and food writers post there.

LucieV Feb 28th, 2007 01:03 PM

I understand the difference, NeoP. My point was that both terms are overused and, imo, comical.

lcuy Feb 28th, 2007 01:27 PM

Yea, but it's kind of ackward to post titles like &quot;Person who really likes food and other associated aspects of dining would like restaurant recommendations for NYC&quot;

BetsyinKY Feb 28th, 2007 01:35 PM

Anyone can post in the forums sectons on eGullet.com. You have to register, but it's free. I like eGullet better than chowhound, because it's easier to navigate.

LucieV Feb 28th, 2007 01:36 PM

But why is there any need to ask for anything other than &quot;good restaurants&quot;? I don't get it. I guess I give people more credit than they deserve or something, but I assume that people who are seeking a good restaurant appreciate good food &amp; good restaurants &amp; everything that implies. It's not rocket science! I just find the label &quot;foodie&quot; a bit self-serving, as in &quot;I'm a foodie; you're a slob.&quot;

Whatever. I grew up in a family that was into good food; we just didn't advertise it.
;)