Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Food/Snacks in suitcases (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/food-snacks-in-suitcases-249835/)

red Aug 15th, 2002 07:17 AM

Food/Snacks in suitcases

Hi - My husband and I are going to New York on a tight budget the last week in August. We would like to save money by packing cans of soda, snacks etc. We have only flown once before so we don't know alot about what is allowed in your luggage and with 9/11 I thought maybe I should ask around. Any advice? Thank you.

susan Aug 15th, 2002 07:33 AM

I've flown with unopened snacks on several flights recently. There are lots of options available to purchase at airports now, too, since food on short flights has been discontinued. I'm not sure about cans of soda, but packaged snacks should be fine.

xxx Aug 15th, 2002 07:44 AM

They do have reasonable small grocery stores in New York City.

annie Aug 15th, 2002 08:00 AM

Hi:<BR>You won't need to pack snacks and sodas in your luggage. Stop in one of the supermarkets and get what you need. Food emporium, etc always are having a special on sodas and snacks.<BR>Enjoy your stay here!

nyer Aug 15th, 2002 08:03 AM

Packing cans of soda in checked luggage that go into pressurized cabins is not a good idea. They could explode. You could carry some items in your carry on luggage but that would be heavy.<BR><BR>Do count on saving money in NY by buying snacks in markets rather than always eating in sit down restaurants, but it is absolutely unnecessary to bring things with you unless you are on a very restricted diet and are worried that you can't find the items here (but remember, it is NY, you can buy anything here).<BR><BR>When you're here, buy snacks at supermarket or large drug store chain (we have CVS and Rite Aide, as well as local huge chain, Duane Reade). A 6 pack of soda in a regular grocery goes for between $3.00 - $4.00 (including tax and can deposit) but you can sometimes find sales of 12 packs for $3.50- $3.99.<BR>Potato chips, pretzels, etc are all pre- priced and should cost what you're used to seeing at home for the same brands.<BR><BR>And if you do want to have restaurant meals, you can have pizza slices for about $1.75, sit-down served (not fast food) full chinese lunches for about $5.

Me Aug 15th, 2002 08:22 AM

Soda may explode in the luggage compartment of a plane. As aalready sid, these items can easily be purchased at reasonable rates all over NYC. Ther are Duane Reade stores on almost every corner that have the basics at good prices.

rqf Aug 15th, 2002 08:23 AM

There are plenty of places for snacks and soda where prices will be comparable to what you pay in your home town so bringing stuff from home is really not necessary. Post where you will be staying and you will probably get replies on where to shop and reasonably priced restaurants.

red Aug 15th, 2002 10:03 AM

Thank you all for your comments. I wasn't quite sure what to expect as far as finding a grocery store. We are staying at the Radisson on Lexington Ave and I think it is 48th street

MHS Aug 15th, 2002 10:18 AM

Have stayed at Metropolitan just down Lex from the Raddison. While not "bargain" 7-11 store(s) -- Grand Central is just a few blocks south...Go take a look at their restoration work & visit the quick-food alley of shops there. Indulge just a bit in something wonderful that you don't buy back home in the local Stop & Shop.<BR><BR>I'll let the locals point the way to the nearest Duane Reade.

xx Aug 15th, 2002 11:18 AM

You would think that you were making a trek to Antartica. Who brings food and drinks with them? Excpet for maybe on the plane. Its just too wierd that you are going to NYC and thought of packing provisions. Its called the concrete jungle but it really is quite civilized believe me.

Jen Aug 15th, 2002 12:47 PM

If you REALLY want to save money, don't drink soda at all, it's just sugar, water, and things that are bad for you.

Owen O'Neill Aug 15th, 2002 01:32 PM

Good points already made here. Find a Food Emporium or similar full size grocery store for major food items if you're getting a place with a kitchen or as mentioned - just go to Duane Reade for basic snacks, bottle water.soda, juice etc. Don't worry about where a Duane Reade is - it's hard to go more than a block or two (literally) in most parts of Manhattan without bumping into one. Don't hesitate to refill water bottle from drinking fountains (if the water is cold enough for you). NYC has very good municipal drinking water. There are many, many street vendors selling fruit at competitive prices. The places to avoid are already menioned - small convenience stores and so-called "gourmet" delis. Don';t be lured into thinking you'll get a real baragin on the "by the pound" hot buffets either. I've done it and when all was said and done I could have gone to a Mexican or Chinese restaurant and gotten a better meal for less. NYC is a GREAT city to enjoy on a budget - there is so much to do that's free or cheap and food can be very reasonable if you choose carefully.

xxx Aug 15th, 2002 03:40 PM

You can definitely get your snack and soda supply in NYC. If you plan to take snacks on the airplane please make sure that they are packaged/identifiable. FOX carried a report last week of a guard who made a Mother drink her own breast milk from her baby's bottle to prove that it wasn't anything poisonous. You never know when you will meet a freak who wants to prove he/she is so good at their job!

Sara Aug 15th, 2002 03:55 PM

Even better on the budget drink water! I think that grocery stores are probably not that much more expensive in New York and you only need to find one to fill your snack needs. <BR><BR>I agree that pop might explode but other snacks would be fine to pack. I always take jerky - protein makes you feel full.<BR><BR>I am sure you know this but eat lunch out at the sit-down it is cheaper so you can eat at some of the nice places. So eat breakfast in for sure and dinner in too. Don't forget to get a great New York hot dog from a vender.

joe Aug 15th, 2002 04:07 PM

peanut butter crackers always hit the spot!

x Aug 15th, 2002 06:12 PM

I don't know of any supermarkets near the Radisson. Rather than shopping at "gourmet" delis buy snacks and drinks at a Duane Reade. I am certain there is one near the hotel - probably on 3rd Ave.

xxx Aug 16th, 2002 07:07 AM

I think there are more Duane Reade's in NYC than Starbucks.

Suzanne Aug 16th, 2002 09:24 AM

There is a Duane Reade at Lexington and 47th. You'll be able to get cheap snack food here (cookies, chips, rice cakes, candy, you name it) as well as sodas and other drinks.<BR><BR>Have a good trip!

Owen O'Neill Aug 16th, 2002 09:54 AM

xxx says "I think there are more Duane Reade's in NYC than Starbucks."<BR><BR>Hadn't thought about it before but just checked and WOW!<BR><BR>How about 119 Duane Reade locations vs. 57 Starbucks? We're not kidding about how easy they are to locate!<BR>

American Beauty Aug 16th, 2002 11:44 AM

You didn't say where you're flying from, but you would probably be better off having a few snacks in your carry-ons -- then buying snacks as suggested by previous posters.<BR><BR>Many a time I've been glad to have a little something to eat during a long, delayed, non-meal flight.<BR>