Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Food at "Cheers" (Bull & Finch) - Has anyone eaten there recently?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2008, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have some tourist friends coming to Boston and they've expressed an interest in visiting Cheers. Aside from a drink a few years ago, we have not been there recently and have never eaten there. Has anyone? Is the food okay? If not, can anyone recommend other casual spots for a good burger? We usually go to the Bristol Lounge or 29 Newbury but we want a place more casual and not a $20 burger! Thanks.
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 10:21 PM

One of my favorite burgers in Boston is at Clery's Irish bar on Dartmouth Street - if you walk past the Fairmont Copley Plaza, pass Back Bay Station/Neimans - it is about a block or so down on your left -
very casual, lots of families eating early, becomes a real hotspot for younger/college kids at night - excellent burgers as well as other food -

I also like the Parish Cafe on Boylston for casual, but have never had the burger there -

I've heard people mention enjoying the burgers/beer at Cheers pub in Faneuil Hall -but I rarely even walk thru there these days so I would check and make sure it is still there !

you could also check on Chowhound.com and see what the buzz is over there if you like that site.

Old Feb 19th, 2008, 05:35 AM

We (4 senior ladies) ate there in Oct because one of us just "had" to eat there. We had been told the burgers were large so we ordered two to share . . . they came w/wonderful fries, we all had a couple of beers, and it was plenty of food.

The burgers were VERY good. I think the burgers were about $12 and the beer, about $6 (big beer). We sat outside on the patio and had a lot of fun people watching. If your friends really want to eat at Cheers, why not let them. I know our friend would have been disappointed if we had voted her down on that.

We went to the one at Franeuil Hall.

Sandy (in Denton)
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. Escargot, I now remember other posts where you've recommended Clery's so we'll look into that. I did check out Cheers on Chowhound and there were some not so good reviews for it, but I think it was the original location at the Bull & Finch and not the one at Faneuil Hall (which got a good review from Sandy_b here). I appreciate your replies!
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 12:28 AM

I'd take your friends to both Cheers locations Marie. The Bull & Finch, the original outdoor location where you can get great photos and the reconstruction of the actual indoor Cheers bar at Faneuil Hall, where there are massive cut- outs of the Cheers characters, another great photo opportunity. I took a picture of hubby with "Norm" as he is also called Norm!
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 05:16 PM

I got dragged to the Cheers location at Faneuil Hall not too long ago. The food was forgettable, but for some reason there a few real characters at the bar and I had a good time regardless (the subject of the TV show did not come up once).

A lot of the clientele is (at least...was on that night) people who used to live in Boston and came back to visit, so the topic of conversation was how things "used to be". Maybe that's why it was fun.

Outside of the bar were LOTS of empty seats but it was a weeknight. It probably gets more crowded on weekends.