Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Folly Beach or Isle of Palms? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/folly-beach-or-isle-of-palms-401246/)

greatlakestravel Feb 19th, 2004 03:59 PM

Folly Beach or Isle of Palms?

Okay fodorites, you helped me with trip to Newport, RI now we're on our way to SC during Easter week with 11 and 15 year olds along. Which beach would be better suited to teens and will it be too cold to swim in the ocean? Should we rent a condo with or without a pool?

Which carriage tour is best? Any good local places to eat? (besides the main ones listed on the net). Any ideas on the weather forecast for 2nd week of April?

Thanks so much for your help!!

Great Lakes Travel

laura2004 Feb 19th, 2004 04:05 PM

Isle of Palms- contact Wild Dunes resort. We have stayed on the resort, first in condos, then in a big house, for the last five years and have enjoyed it every time. Just beware of the beach directly in front of the "Owner's Beach Club"- that beach has undergone signigicant beach erosion, and isn't as nice as the beaches further south on the island. Folly is kind of the old hippie beach, and the nice restaurants are just not as plentiful in that area. It will too cold to swim in the ocean (unless you are one of the Polar Bear Club). I'd do a heated pool if swimming is important to you. There are lots of good places to eat- just ask a couple of locals.

greatlakestravel Feb 19th, 2004 04:13 PM

Thanks for the info about beach erosion; we were looking at Sea Cabins since its not too pricey and it comes with a pool. We'd like to spend time and money being typical tourists in the Charleston area.

GoTravel Feb 19th, 2004 04:19 PM

Wild Dunes is great and your teens will love the resort.

I've gone swimming in the ocean in April but the air temps were high. Water temps should be around low seventies during that time.

The weather is a crapshoot. It could be 90 degrees or 60 degrees. Pack in anticipation of both.

laura2004 Feb 19th, 2004 04:19 PM

Our first time there we were in Sea Cabins. They are nice- I like ocean front, because ocean view got us a dime's worth of view!
The resort has lots of bicycle rentals, beach equipment rentals, golf, tennis, and pizza delivery. I really do think you'll enjoy it. We rented from Island Realty (I think it's www.islandrealty.com) I found they were just as good as renting straight from the Wild Dunes Resort company, and they have in resort and out of resort properties.

greatlakestravel Feb 19th, 2004 04:35 PM

Okay Laura, you've pretty much sold me on Isle of Palms Sea Cabins.

Now to start another thread about Bohicket boat rental.

I hope the ocean temps are in the seventies; here on Lake Huron the water temps get into the 79's by August.

:)

greatlakestravel Feb 19th, 2004 04:35 PM

Dah, I mean the 70's.

GoTravel Feb 19th, 2004 04:56 PM

greatlakes, is Bohicket boat rental at Bohicket Marina? If so, they are at least an hour from Wild Dunes. Bohicket Marina is off Seabrook/Kiawah Islands. You would have to drive south inland, through Charleston, then back out onto the islands.

Rent something like a whaler and explore! Make sure you get a good set of charts. Our tides very and the marshes are not well marked outside the waterway. If you run aground on an outgoing tide, it is very easy to end up on dry ground for hours until the tide starts coming back in.

You will find miles and miles and miles of pristine unspoiled beaches that are only accessable by boat.

Take binoculars. Watch for dolphin.

Pack a cooler and your fishing gear.

Litespeed_Chick Feb 20th, 2004 04:36 AM

I will generally agree that Isle of Palms is your best bet with the teenagers. I took two 17 year old Wisconsonites to IoP last year. I think kids like it better 'cause it's more crowded and has more beachwear shops, ice cream parlors, etc.

The only thing I would say is that if your kids are fascinated by surfing they might prefer Folly. That's where the cool surfer kids hang out. You could call McKelveys surf shop and ask if they give surfing lessons and rent wetsuits that time of year. I was dying to do it last year but my teenaged guests weren't interested. Go figure.

I have never liked Wild Dunes...seems scrubbed free of personallity. Don't waste your money unless your kids are big golfers :-) Sea Cabins is a good bet, although by no means luxurious.

All carriage tours are the same, as far as I can tell. Have lunch at Coconut Joes on the beach in IOP, but save your real dining for downtown Charleston. Have fun!

OH !!! Make your reservations NOW. Easter week will be a ZOO in Charleston.

DeborahB Feb 20th, 2004 05:11 AM

I agree with Litespeed, if your kids are at all interested in surfing then Folly might be better. There aren't many hotels in Folly. If you don't rent a house then most people stay at the Holiday Inn. There is a nice lighthouse in Folly as well if you like that kind of thing.

greatlakestravel Feb 20th, 2004 03:22 PM

I asked the "teens" what they thought of a surf lesson and both would love to give it a try. Thanks for the tip about McKevlins, yes they give lessons.

So maybe Folly Beach would be a good choice. Anyone every deal with Fred Holland Realty or Islands West Rental?

Thanks again.

Litespeed_Chick Mar 4th, 2004 01:06 PM

I've rented houses from Fred Holland Realty 3 times in the last 6 years. Never a problem. They have a nice brochure w/ color pictures of the houses.

If you can swing it, ocean-front is the way to go. I always get a not-so-new, not-so-big house so I can afford oceanfront. There's something spectacular about walking out of your house and coming face to face with the ocean. I usually spend one night with a mattress dragged out on the back porch. Love to hear the surf!