Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Folly Beach for a group (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/folly-beach-for-a-group-811206/)

swalter518 Oct 21st, 2009 09:05 AM

Folly Beach for a group

We're headed to Charleston with our 1 yr old and 4 yr old, and my mid-20s brother and his girlfriend next May. We're considering Folly Beach because we're looking for a close to Charleston beach that's kid friendly and not to pretenious. Does anyone have any suggestions for lodging? We've looked preliminarily on VRBO but are looking for input on places others may have stayed.

swalter518 Oct 21st, 2009 03:35 PM

ttt

suewoo Oct 21st, 2009 03:48 PM

Wish I could help you but I'm on the Mt Pleasant side. What I can tell you is that the Spoleto Festival brings visitors from all over in May, and things book quickly. I'm not sure how Folly is affected but you might want to pick something soon. If you need restaurant recs let me know.

swalter518 Oct 22nd, 2009 07:44 AM

Suewoo, We're not opposed to Mt. Pleasant so feel free to make suggestions. My brother has visited Folly before so that's why we ended up there for our initial search.

suewoo Oct 22nd, 2009 10:33 AM

How long do you plan to stay? May starts the season, so most people only rent by the week. Folly is really fun and funky. I just don't know it. What I have learned re: VRBO is make sure you ask for current pics. You may want to look at Isle of Palms also. Mt P. is not on the ocean.

Dayenu Oct 22nd, 2009 11:03 AM

Oh, you have 2 children now! Congratulations!
Faina.

BetsyinKY Oct 22nd, 2009 12:01 PM

We've never stayed on Folly, but have stayed on Sullivan's Island and Isle of Palms many times. Sullivan's Island is our favorite, because it is so low key and not as touristy. We've used VRBO a couple of times, but mostly we use Island Realty. You can check their website for rentals, prices, availability, etc.

JJ5 Oct 22nd, 2009 12:12 PM

Didn't know about child #2. Yipee! Hope you are as wonderful as you sound.

There is a good Charleston trip report from GoTravel- not TOO old- just a couple of years, I think. That one might be helpful as I think she did a hotel/resort survey kind of thing when she was there.

I could be wrong. Regardless, have a good time! I'm off to MI tomorrow, even the wet doesn't stop me. LOL!

suewoo Oct 22nd, 2009 03:34 PM

Island Realty is pretty reliable. The houses on IOP and Sullivan's can be huge, and may be more than you need. Are you planning on spending a good bit of time in town? If not, you might want to check out Edisto-very quiet and a little remote, but not chi-chi at all.

swalter518 Oct 23rd, 2009 12:31 PM

Hi all and thanks for the good wishes! Yes, #2 my little boy arrived in April, thus my lengthy absence from Fodors (and travel for that matter) but we're ready to get back in! We plan on staying a whole week so a week rental isn't a problem. I'll check Island Realty. I was hoping to find a cottage type place (as opposed to being in a big condo building) but your'e right, most of the houses are huge and beyond our budget. We will likely spend alot of time in Charleston as my DH has never been.

JJ, have fun in MI! My bro bought a house across the lake from us so now we're there more than ever and my 3 yr old cries when we're not going to Paw Paw on weekends!

suewoo Oct 23rd, 2009 02:19 PM

There are some nice no-so-huge places on Beachside Drive, IOP. It's next to the county park, and it's a street that doesn't go through, so the only traffic is others staying there. If you can't get an oceanfront house you won't haveto cross major traffic to get to the beach. But do book soon-it will all fill up soon.

BetsyinKY Oct 23rd, 2009 03:08 PM

There are a couple of smaller properties on Sullivan's Island that we've stayed at before, through Island Realty. (Not that I'm trying to plug them for any reason, other than we've used them 7 or 8 times now and always been satisfied.) 3004 I'On is probably the least expensive. We've also stayed in the apartment at 2907 B Marshall, and we've rented 2908 Brownell twice. I just stayed at 404 Palm Blvd. on Isle of Palms last week. It was adorable and is very affordable.

We've also rented a condo from VRBO on Sullivan's Island. The lady who owns it actually owns two units, side by side. They were very reasonable. That might be an option, since there are two couples and two children. If you would like specific info on that, just let me know and I can email it.

suewoo Oct 23rd, 2009 03:58 PM

Betsy, I drove right by you last week. If I'd known I woulda honked! Are you going to do a trip report?

I like that area @ 3004 I'on. That end of Sullivan's is nice, but then again, it's all nice.

swalter518 Oct 24th, 2009 09:12 AM

Thanks everyone. Betsy, would you mind sending me the info on the VRBO property in Sullivan's Island? It's [email protected]. Dummy question-is Sullivan's Island the first town over the bridge? We've always stayed in Charleston proper (before kids) but have driven out and ate at a seafood restaurant not far over the big bridge. Was that Sullivan's Island? I'm trying to get my bearings of the area.

swalter518 Oct 24th, 2009 09:20 AM

Betsy, 2908 Brownell looks great. How far is it from the beach?

lantana Oct 24th, 2009 09:39 AM

swalter518 - the first town over the big bridge from downtown Chas. is Mt. Pleasant. Beyond that, you cross the Ben Sawyer Bridge ("swing bridge") onto Sullivan's Island. Isle of Palms would be next island over (north).

Folly Beach is very cool and very unpretentious but my vote would be for IOP or SI. Folly has a big beach litter problem and allows alcohol on the beach (as of now, unlike IOP and Sullivan's.

swalter518 Oct 24th, 2009 01:43 PM

Thanks lantana. Now that you say Mt. Pleasant, I knew that.

suewoo Oct 24th, 2009 02:02 PM

swalter, it's a block back. Looks like they start to rent Memorial Day.
http://sc.tenant.com/499167

swalter518 Oct 24th, 2009 03:57 PM

Thanks suewoo, we're going midMay so we'll miss out on this one.

suewoo Oct 24th, 2009 04:47 PM

It MIGHT be negotiable. Can't hurt to ask.