Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Foliage is gorgeous this year! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/foliage-is-gorgeous-this-year-441431/)

RetiredVermonter Sep 29th, 2008 12:53 AM

Foliage is gorgeous this year!

I just wanted to state that the fall foliage this year is GORGEOUS, with rich colors that still have not quite peaked.

We don't know if it's due to all the rain this summer, but we seem to be seeing a lot more striking reds and oranges this year.

This is the time of year when we Vermonters smile and feel especially lucky!

dfnh Sep 29th, 2008 02:33 AM

Over here in the Concord NH area, I think the colors are brighter this year. The trees in wet areas are brilliant. We have some trees we can see from the window that are turning yellow/orange from the outer branches first, like a halo of color. Sumac in some areas are brilliant red. It's fascinating to see some areas at 100% color yet the rest is still green. It must be all the water. I thought the last couple of years were kind of dull. Not this year.

bmw732002 Sep 29th, 2008 03:15 AM

Damn! I have to get it together and head on up!

Nonthing better than a beautiful Vermont Fall!....

Anonymous Sep 29th, 2008 03:27 AM

Even the Mass Pike looked pretty good this weekend, promising wonderful sights in just a week or two.

Mamaw Sep 29th, 2008 03:31 AM

Michigan is GORGEOUS as well. My Backyard is a picture. And it's dangerous too, the acorns in the yard are by the thousands and walking on them can be killer. I wish I could use them in a recipe.

dfnh Sep 29th, 2008 04:18 AM

Here's an interesting peak foliage map for New England that's on Yankee Magazine's website. Click on your date and watch the map change. Was surprised to see all of VT changes before central and southern NH does.
http://www.yankeefoliage.com/peakmap/

mysecretvermont Oct 5th, 2008 03:34 PM

The foliage is great - but you still have a bit of time to see some great color. You can check out my blog and podcast to see my progression of foliage pictures - and find out about some scenic drives. www.mysecretvermont.com

Cadgirl Oct 26th, 2008 08:12 AM

I just wanted to toss my two cents in and say that we visited Vermont a few weeks ago, and it was absolutely gorgeous with the fall colors. One the prettiest places (with the nicest people)I've ever been!

Anonymous Oct 26th, 2008 08:34 AM

And now, a month after the original post, it is finally gorgeous in the Boston area. Yes, a good year for color here, too.

LindaLa Oct 26th, 2008 01:58 PM

Here in Central NJ, the foilage doesn't seem to be as brilliant as usual. We took a ride in the country today (yes, we have beautiful country here in NJ - the garden state) and much of the trees were either green or brown - not too many reds, yellows and orange. It may have to do with the lack of rain.
We are undergoing a drought here. We are having a lot of trouble with our pines and have been advised that it has to do with the lack of water.

astein12 Oct 26th, 2008 06:44 PM

Yeah, NJ doesn't seem to have a lot of color yet but Vermont seems pretty good.

That said, we're just back from Nova Scotia and the colors in the Cape Breton Highlands are absolutely unbelievable. Having spent numerous falls in the mid-Atlantic and New England, the colors in Cape Breton were the best I have ever seen.

I'm guessing they're a bit past peak now, but a couple of weeks ago the best description I heard was 'Vermont on steroids'.

tcreath Oct 27th, 2008 07:01 AM

Here in North Carolina its gorgeous as well! We went hiking a few weeks ago and this weekend we drove up into southern Virginia...although rainy on Saturday it was gorgeous as well.

Tracy

beachbum Oct 27th, 2008 07:24 AM

Portland, Oregon too. Can't remember when colors have been so vibrant.

Fra_Diavolo Oct 27th, 2008 09:09 AM

Along the Connecticut and RI coats the leaves are still changing -- beautiful in spots.

Got to say that all this talk of the extreme beauty makes me think of Barbara Tuchman's accounts of the summer of 1914 -- supposedly the most beautiful summer in years. Hope it's not the end of an era!

Suzie Oct 27th, 2008 09:18 AM

There's a tree in my neighborhood in northern CA that is just so vibrant that I marvel every day I drive by. Some days I wonder if those colors could ever be duplicated by humans! Most of the trees have not yet turned since fall comes really late to CA. Between Halloween & Thanksgiving will be when the trees change.

lolfn Oct 27th, 2008 11:44 AM

Here in Bucks County, PA, I think the dry summer really hurt the foliage. The trees that still have leaves do have beautiful colors, but so many trees seem to have died or lost their leaves early.

ncounty Oct 27th, 2008 04:09 PM

Just saw this post.....this year was the most amazing I can recall for colorful foliage. We were in Park City, Utah at the very end of September and it was approaching peak. Stunning.

cobbie Oct 28th, 2008 03:25 PM

We were in mid coast Maine Oct 12-15 & the colors were gorgeous. We are from NoCal & don't get much good foliage so it was really special to see the colors in Maine. I brought some red Maple leaves home with me.

Judyrem Oct 28th, 2008 03:33 PM

Gorgeous but chilly day today here in N Ga...I loved it.

seafox Oct 28th, 2008 04:48 PM

a month from the original post and connecticut is still grand. makes me feel good when i drive to work.....despite the stock market