Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Foliage in the mid Hudson Valley isn't worth the trip!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We took a ride up the Hudson to Hudson (the city, that is), about 120-130 miles north of NYC. Normally, Columbus Day weekend is a great time for foliage viewing.....but not this year. There were no breathtaking panoramic views, not even close....a few isolated colorful groupings, and that was about it.
Still, the trip was worth it, as we stopped at Olana, the storied home of artist Frederic Church. This is truly one of the Hudson Valley's top attractions. Not only is the house magnificent, but the site offers perhaps the most spectacular views of the Hudson River.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 02:30 PM

All of the leaf peeper sights are saying that the leaves are turning somewhat late this year. Probably next weekend will be perfect.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 02:38 PM

Here in Boston, some experts keep saying that those traveling in a couple of weeks will be too late. But where I live the leaves are just turning. I have noticed that there is some significant leaf infestations that will take away from the peak ness. Every year is different, at least the past 40 years i've spent in New England. I would think that in a week and a half the colors would be much better. Hope to make it to the land of the headless horseman just a week before Hollow's Eve. It is often magnificant then.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 03:16 PM
yk

The meteorologists in Boston are saying that this year's foliage won't be anywhere as nice as years past. And the color change seems to be spotty too.

We were in southern NH/Mt Monadnock this weekend, and I'd say it's just about peak. In central MA, it looks like it'll be another few days to a week. Where I live, 10 miles W of Boston, leaves have just started to turn.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 03:38 PM
J62

The bad foliage isn't due to late change - just the opposite!

A dry September with cool nights forced the early, brilliant reds and oranges to change early. Many early yellows like birches were also stressed by the dry weather and dropped early. This was followed by strong wind and rain storms a week ago that stripped all the brilliant leaves that lead to the breathtaking panoramas HowardR is was looking for.

There is still a lot of green - all the late trees like Oaks have yet to turn, but they change to dark red/brown colors, not the brilliant reds and oranges. Those trees are already bare.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 05:26 PM

It has been a bizarre foliage season here in New Hampshire - some trees turned early and were cleaned off by the downpours and high winds last week, other trees are just turning. Not the best year, but there are still some nice colors to be seen.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 10:16 AM

It's gorgeous in our yard. Blue skies. But agree that trees have turned at different rates making things real spotty. Old sugar maple next to our driveway has already lost half its leaves. Another one by the stone wall is just a bit past peak. Just a couple of light frosts so far whereas last year there was a colder frost on Sept 18 (which was pretty early). Medium heavy southbound traffic on Rt 93 yesterday. Maybe today it will be heavy.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 10:21 AM

Where do you live dfrostnh?
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 10:30 AM

Last year wasn't nice either. We drove north from NYC for hours this time of year but the leaves were still really green. I have made arrangement for a car this midweek. Any suggestions where to go for a day trip?
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 11:12 AM

It's one thing to say that this year the foliage isn't as spectacular as other years, and telling people not to bother. To me it's always worth the trip.

https://www.hudsonvalley.org/index.p...pro&Itemid=182
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 12:48 PM

Oh too bad ! I used to love this weekend, we stayed in Rhinebeck, went apple picking and brought home too much food from the Farm stands ( Griegs Farms on #9 )
Has it been too warm ?
I always miss NY the most at this time of year ~
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 12:49 PM

Greig Farm http://www.greigfarm.com/
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Vast improvement along the Taconic Parkway this weekend. Pretty much hitting peak in the lower and mid-Hudson Valley.
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 12:44 PM

Heading out on a road trip tomorrow. Should we spend Tuesday exploring Tarrytown and environs, head to West Point for a stroll, Central Park or the Cloisters, Bronx Zoo or maybe Cape May? Hopefully the weather will hold out for just a bit of rain.
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 01:39 PM

WE did the Seven lake drive and the Bear mountain and it was greaaat. http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...enic-route.cfm
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Head to the West Point, Storm King, Vanderbilt Mansion area--i.e., mid-Hudson Valley, north of Tarrytown. The Seven Lakes Drive is also recommended.
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 12:01 PM

Just back and crossing the Tappanzee into Seven Lake Drive onto Bear Mountain, looping back to the other side and a stop in Tarrytown for my favorite casual greek Lefties, did not disappoint. What a spectacular park to drive thru!!! We will definately return. The whole peak debate is just that. I think some trees are still turning and have not reached peak, while a mile away the leaves have dropped past peak.

The whole area will still be filled with color this coming weekend. Hell my yard is at just hitting peak right now in MA while across town all the leaves are down. That's the season this year.

Again thank you thank you thank you for turning me on to Seven Lakes/ Bear area!!!
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 03:39 PM

Just wanted to repeat a thank you and Seven Lake Drive was wonderful. Also living 3 hours north of there, foliage changes every few miles. Where one side of town is past peak, the other side is just hitting peak. My backyard has barely a leaf fallen in the past 4 days, while the other side of town has mostly fallen leaves. I say, take a drive and see the peakness!