Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   foliage (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/foliage-260521/)

Laura Sep 24th, 2002 03:38 AM

foliage

We will be flying into Burlington October 3rd and doing the NE Kingdom through the first part of the week and traveling south to Manchester area for the long weekend. Since we are leaf peepers coming from Florida can anyone tell me how the colors are? Appreciate it.

xx Sep 24th, 2002 03:58 AM

The Bennington/Manchester area is barely starting to turn. Give it another couple weeks and there should be some great color. I'll be in the NE Kingdom this weekend visiting my parents. I'll try to remember to post a report. Historically, color peaks in the Kingdom the last few days of Sept/1st couple days of Oct.

Jo Sep 24th, 2002 05:04 AM

We will be in Lyndonville on 10/2 and 10/3, staying at the Wildflower Inn. We live in Ft. Lauderdale & can't wait to see all the beautiful colors. Ft. Lauderdale is a bustling city, so we are looking forward to the peacefulness and all the beautiful colors of fall! JO

Kayla Sep 25th, 2002 08:29 AM

The trees are just beginning to turn! We've had an unusually warm month so color slightly later than usual, so you should hit it just about right! They will be peak during 2nd week of October (my prediction, I've lived here 20 years). Oh and by the way, don't believe any reports that foliage won't be any good this year due to the drought. My husband is a forester and he says that's bunk.<BR>Have a good trip.

orgy7 Sep 25th, 2002 08:49 AM

unfortunaltly i'm from Connecticut.. but my question is what is NE kingdom?<BR>New England something rather.

xx Sep 25th, 2002 09:03 AM

The Northeast Kingdom is a "nickname" for the northeastern part of Vermont. The most beautiful part of the state IMO and few tourists visit there.

Jen Sep 25th, 2002 09:04 AM

The Northeast Kingdom is the northeastern corner of VT (on the border of NH and Canaada). The name came from its isolation and independence.<BR><BR>http://www.nekchamber.com/

Leslie Sep 25th, 2002 10:28 AM

I was in Dixville Notch NH this weekend, and the leaves are barely turning there; the drive home to southern New Hampshire was very very green for this time of year. Everyone is saying the drought has nothing to do with the late foliage this year--then what does? It's incredibly green, with color--and little of it--around the lakes and swamps only.

T.M. Sep 25th, 2002 10:38 AM

I don't know if this helps at all, but I just got back from coastal Maine. The leaves are just starting to turn and it's getting cooler. Just glimpses here and there.<BR><BR>According to their leaf forecast, the leaves are turning faster in western Maine. So maybe you'll have some beautiful sights to see by the time you get there!

Jen Sep 25th, 2002 11:56 AM

This year is a good illustration of how difficult it is to predict the foliage season. The summer was so dry, everyone thought that the drought would promote an early season (stress, and all that). Which would be true on average, BUT then September has been warmer and wetter than normal in many places, which has caused a delay in the expected turn dates. Ah, life in new England!

Weff Oct 5th, 2002 09:39 PM

Don't waste your time in VT. Go to the beautiful State of New Hampshire....mountains, seacost, no taxes!

Jennifer Oct 9th, 2002 06:44 AM

Will drive from Boston and thinking of Manchester for best foliage? Any other suggestions?

xx Oct 9th, 2002 07:03 AM

Manchester MA? NH? ME? VT?<BR>if it's Manchester VT and you're going this weekend, I hope you have lodging reservations. If not, you may be sleeping in your car!

John Oct 9th, 2002 07:13 AM

Just got back from several days in VT, ME, NH. The best color was in VT near Woodstock; only scattered bits and pieces (but still lovely against a green backdrop) in southern VT or NH. But it turned colder Mon. so I'd bet things are chugging right along by now.<BR><BR>This was our first time in VT and it's just as lovely as I thought, although frankly I thought Manchester was a fine example of when bad things happen to cute towns. I don't begrudge the jobs that come with outlet mania and at least Manchester has handled it better than Kittery ME (across the river from Portsmouth). But still, yow, what a way to make a peaceful place unattractive. To each his/her own.<BR><BR>We actually stayed at the Mt. Snow resort hotel, which was quite empty and reasonable, and (looking the right way) offered a good view of a red and gold hillside (not the ski runs, which were predictably ghastly without snow.) Mt. Snow is about 45 min. or so from Manchester, ditto Bennington, but pretty close to Grafton and other leaf peeper destinations. <BR><BR>I still like NH better, though. Maybe it's because we found some dead relatives and their houses there, going back to the 1600s. Way cool.

Jennifer Oct 9th, 2002 07:29 AM

Will drive from Boston and thinking of Manchester for best foliage? Any other suggestions?

bm Oct 9th, 2002 07:39 AM

Jennifer-Southern and Central Vermont should be at or near peak this weekend. Manchester, as noted above, is a busy destination, full of outlet shopping. Traffic through town is horrendous on fall weekends. Also, if you don't have lodging reservations, especially for this weekend, you're most likely out of luck. There are many nice drives around Vermont-take out an atlas and just take your pic of roads. But, be sure to secure your accomodations before you go.

Bette Oct 14th, 2002 07:32 AM

Just got back from Maine, NH & Vermont last Wednesday & leaves about 75% changed in Berlin, NH & in St. Johnsbury, VT. It was so beautiful! Wished it were cooler like last time I went ten years ago; but I plan to go back again but not wait ten years this time! Bette

Hyram Oct 19th, 2002 11:42 AM

Just got back from New Hampshire and Vermont. Beautiful in NH's White Mountains! Go to Franconia Notch and take the tram

sandra Oct 19th, 2002 05:53 PM

I have to admit I have lived in Connecticut for 40 years, my Mom lives in MAine and Have never inmy life heard anyone refer to anypart of Vermont as the NE KINGdom. I have to agree about Manchester I can remember when I was in college in the early 80's Manchester was lovely and now it should just have a Tnager outlet center sign at the each end.<BR> As far as Mt. Snow my husband I went there about 6 yeasr ago to see the leaves. They have one lift where you can ride and when yoiu hit the top you can see leaves in 4 states I think. It was beautiful and luckily for us that was the first weekend they blew snow for snow boarders so it wasn;t so bad to look at the slops.<BR> As far as nice foliage goes the Litchfield county area od ct, has great leaves, small inns and lovely antiquing. It resembles the vermont of 20 years ago

topper Oct 20th, 2002 04:29 PM

ttt