Monterey SPINDRIFT Warning!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2003, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, looking for Valet turn in, there isn't, only a loading zone, hard to spot in all the traffic. Cars are parked somewhere away from the hotel, so no access without valet. The lobby is old and tired and doesn't seem clean, approching the room, a long dustmop and a broom were in front of the door, the bellman stepped over, so I followed. Later when I came out, it was still there,in the way. The room is dingy, hard worn, hot, stuffy and smells. The window frames obstruct the wonderful view even when opened, and a knob was missing. The hardwood floors look worst than an abused old gym floor. Oriental rugs are old and over dirty tattered foam. The brass is old worn off cheap plate. I was unable to get the radio to work and the batterys were dead in the tv remote. The bay air and a fire helped exchange the foul odor. I liked the fresh rose bud, and the view is fabulous. The photos in the ad are accurate, if you realize many years of hard wear and tear, poor maintenance, even poorer housekeeping and oh yes, that odor. In my opinion, such prime locations should be required to maintain a standard of decency. The rates are outragious for the condition of the accomodations. Now, if I wasn't already upset enough, returning to my terrible room, the evevator door opened, I stepped forward and was hit by a metal barrier. The housekeeper was sweeping the dryclean carpet matter, at the far end of the hall, and the metal guard to keep the material from going down the elevator shaft was left leaning on the doors.
Thankfully, I had sterile wipes with me, to disinfect anything I had to touch. I might have died if I'd had my blacklight to see all that's really there.
In my opinion, the Spindrift should have new management to restore it to what maybe was a very nice hotel originally on a very unique property and location.
Old May 15th, 2003, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

http://community.webshots.com/script...bumID=70525378
Old May 15th, 2003, 10:19 AM

Bodi we can't get in using this link. We have to be the album owner. Got another way?
Old May 15th, 2003, 12:27 PM

I had considered getting reservations at the Spindrift in July. Any ideas about another hotel I could reserve? I like the idea of being within walking distance of restaurants and the water. And I'd like someplace nice.
Old May 15th, 2003, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, please try this. Page 2
http://community.webshots.com/user/mrskbg
Old May 15th, 2003, 03:40 PM

Bodi,
You seem very knowledgeable about the hotels/inns in that area. Do you have any Moterey/Pacific Grove/Carmel lodging you would reccomend? We love to go down there for weekend trips but still haven't found a place we've fallen in love with yet.
Old May 15th, 2003, 05:11 PM

Bodi: Great pictures! Love using the web for this kind of thing--wish more people did it! I use webshots as well, but haven't had any disasters such as you picture. Got several CA albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/bookhall .

Kikahead: Have you tried Asilomar in Pacific Grove? Not expensive, nice grounds, and they throw in breakfast...
Old May 16th, 2003, 05:45 AM

Bookhall, I haven't stayed at Asilomar. I will look into it for my next trip as I love the area it is in!! Thanks for the tip!
Old May 16th, 2003, 08:10 AM

Hotel Pacific is wonderful......nice rooms with fireplaces and kitchenette...within walking distance to waterfront
Old May 17th, 2003, 03:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I second Hotel Pacific. You can walk to the pier, the water, downtown, restaurants, it's an ideal location and the rooms are DEFINITELY kept up.
Old May 17th, 2003, 08:53 PM

Is Hotel Pacific in Pacific Grove or Monterey?
Old May 18th, 2003, 10:25 AM

Monterey