Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Fodor's Editors: Check out the Petition on the Europe board

Sep 24th, 2000, 01:03 PM
Regular Goy

Just in case the Fodor's editors are out there, there are a number of folks who would like to register their opinion of the new site over on the Europe board. You might have a look.

Thanks.

Sep 24th, 2000, 01:21 PM
Lisa

Dear Fodors editors: I really feel sorry for you at this point, because you thought you were responding to a general desire to split out separate threads -- and thank you for making the effort to respond to what Fodorites want.

However, I think most of us were surprised that you created so many sub-threads -- I was only expecting a separate forum for Hawaii, not Cal. and Florida too because people who go to Cal. or Fla. are often going to some other state along the way. And I don't really understand splitting up Europe at all, since travellers often cover several different countries.

We appreciate the service these forums provide. Sorry if it wasn't clear what the majority had in mind when a few suggested splitting out one or another area.

Sep 24th, 2000, 01:57 PM
Danny Mangin

Hi there --

We've read all the messages. Thanks for not being shy about stating your feelings! I'll be calling a meeting on Monday to address all the comments and suggestions expressed in the forums or by e-mail.

More later...

Danny Mangin
Editorial Director
Fodors.com

Sep 25th, 2000, 04:20 AM
Cal

I think that are too many forums now. I really like it better the way ot was before. There are many times when a question will involve more than one forum. For example, I just replied to one posting about driving from Las Vegas to Los Angeles. I would like to see California and Florida put back in the United States forum

Sep 25th, 2000, 09:56 AM
Parrot Mom

Not me...it makes it easier to find things with sections broken down...I don't need to scroll through a dozen items on Disney, etc.. Perhaps this is the way to go...all Disney in one category.. I like it...but what do I know, I've only been on this forum for four years.....

Sep 25th, 2000, 12:06 PM
Gary

I agree with Parrot Mom. Sorting past the Disney and Hawaii questions drives me crazy. Plus, when they were on the general U.S. forum, a lot of other questions were quickly shoved unanswered into the dreaded "Next 50" list. I also like the "Topics" section. Yes, there are some pretty obscure questions, and the input is infrequent, but there is the possibility of getting or providing valuable information at those (Budget Travel, Airlines, etc.).

It's too new..let's give it a while before junking the idea.

Sep 25th, 2000, 12:22 PM
Dave

Fodors -

PLEASE get the general questions out of the US and Europe forums. The one "Help with compass please" on this US forum is a good example.

It could be solved by putting "General topics" on the top.

Sep 25th, 2000, 12:26 PM
lisa

To the people who don't like scrolling past posts about compasses or Hawaii or whatever: Don't you have a scroll bar? I don't see what is complicated or difficult about it. It only takes a second (literally). Either point the up or down arrow or drag the scroll button -- why is this a big deal or too hard or time-consuming to do?

Sep 25th, 2000, 12:39 PM
Diane

It IS very time consuming to scroll past ten questions about Disneyland and 20 about Hawaii looking for new and interesting discussions. I LIKE the way the boards are now divided. I went to England in May and would have liked a separate England thread at that time (and since too, as I have tried to answer questions for others). Now I'm more interested in Las Vegas and Oregon, but never Florida. I'm sure if someone asks about the best route from wherever to San Francisco, the thread can be posted on the U.S. board. It's not too much trouble to look at the U.S. board AND the California board.

Fodors--thank you so much for this board! Leave it as is now for a decent period of time to see if everybody can adjust.

Sep 25th, 2000, 01:18 PM
Gary

lisa:

It's not a question of scrolling. My point was that the sheer volume of the Disney/Hawaii posts tended to inundate the site to a point where, unless one is constantly logged on, many new and unanswered posts are quickly shoved onto the "next 50" pile without many people getting to see them.

Besides, using your logic: what's so hard about clicking twice to get to the Hawaii section?

Sep 25th, 2000, 01:27 PM
lisa

Gary: There's nothing hard about clicking twice to get to the Hawaii section, at least not to me. But what has happened is that there are lots of Fodorites out there with lots of travel wisdom, who may know the answer to a question lurking out there on the Hawaii, or Florida, or California, or Italy, or Great Britain, or France forum, but for whatever reason are staying only in the "main" U.S. and Europe forums and not checking the individual ones. So in order to get an answer now, you really have to post your question in both the individual forum and the main forum, whereas before you only had to post it once in the main forum.

Sep 25th, 2000, 01:28 PM
lisa

Also, when posts are supposedly "pushed down" into the next 50, why is that such an inconvenience? It's just like turning the page of a book, to see the next page -- it's all still right there and not difficult to access.