Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Fodor's 15 of the Best Italian Restaurants in the United States

Fodor's 15 of the Best Italian Restaurants in the United States

Old Apr 7th, 2021, 06:11 AM
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 534
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fodor's 15 of the Best Italian Restaurants in the United States

I imagine this comment may irritate some, but ... how can any such list not include any restaurants from the Northeast, where the best Italian eating has been established for many years? Nothing from New York (Roberto's, Esca), Nothing from Philadelphia (Le Virtu, Vetri), nothing from Boston (Rino's, Giacomo's). But there are entries from Salt Lake City, Boulder, and Nashville, where it's hard to find anyone with a name ending in a vowel?

Disappointing list!
phillyboy is offline  
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 07:01 AM
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 5,078
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You made me go to front page. Amber seems to be a LA/West Coast young lady. Maybe she has never ventured to the north end of Boston or to South Philly. NYC has so many to pick from. I looked at her Instagram account. Chicago did get a mention.
Macross is offline  
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 07:10 AM
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 26,312
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To be fair it is 15 OF the best, not the 15 best.

FWIW, I think the restaurants in Bostonís North End to be wildly overrated.
travelgourmet is online now  
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 09:25 AM
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,971
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think your comment is irritating, but you really can't compare the restaurants on the list to a few you mentioned. I've been to a couple in North End of Boston and it's a totally different experience than going to Barolo Grill in Denver where you're not going to find a chicken parm or linguine with clams on the menu. My friend with a vowel at the end of his name would likely say Frasca in Boulder is one of the best Italian restaurants he's been to, but that doesn't mean he doesn't like a good lasagna.
wtm003 is offline  
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 09:44 AM
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 2,796
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never been to any on the list. I like Dan Tana’s in LA and Original Joe’s in SF which should tell you my taste in Italian restaurants lol.
curiousgeo is offline  
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 12:19 PM
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 7,313
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who cares? Lists. Big deal. I am going to publish my grocery list.


Thin,aristocrat 🦌
Pepper_von_snoot is online now  
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 12:41 PM
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 9,432
Likes: 0
Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Ristorante Pesto in Philly ... il nostro ristorante italiano numero uno!

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/ris...iladelphia-pa/
maitaitom is offline  
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 12:47 PM
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 11,171
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mrs Z loves Olive Garden. Well, the one in St Cloud.
ziggypop is online now  
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 12:47 PM
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 11,986
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pepper_von_snoot View Post
Who cares? Lists. Big deal. I am going to publish my grocery list.


Thin,aristocrat 🦌
+1.

I hope the mods move this out of the lounge and into the US forum.
cathies is online now  
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 12:54 PM
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 32,411
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cathies View Post
+1.

I hope the mods move this out of the lounge and into the US forum.
why?
tom42 is online now  
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 12:55 PM
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 32,411
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ziggypop View Post
Mrs Z loves Olive Garden. Well, the one in St Cloud.
Her last name doesn't end in a vowel I am guessing.
tom42 is online now  
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 01:04 PM
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 19,330
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of my college roommates was from St. Cloud. I waitressed at the Olive Garden in college...the one in Fargo.
kureiff is offline  
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 01:19 PM
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,971
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I was in my 20s, there was an Olive Garden near my office and I frequently went for the unlimited soup, salad and breadsticks.
wtm003 is offline  
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 01:23 PM
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 19,330
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wtm003 View Post
When I was in my 20s, there was an Olive Garden near my office and I frequently went for the unlimited soup, salad and breadsticks.
Let me tell you, as a server, I loathed unlimited soup, salad, and breadsticks, and the September promotion for the never-ending pasta bowl.
kureiff is offline  
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 02:21 PM
  #15  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,971
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kureiff View Post
Let me tell you, as a server, I loathed unlimited soup, salad, and breadsticks, and the September promotion for the never-ending pasta bowl.
I don't blame you lol, but now I want to try it again for the nostalgia. I promise I was never one of those awful people, maybe an extra breadstick, but I'm sure you have stories. I don't think I ever ordered anything else from the menu.
wtm003 is offline  
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 02:26 PM
  #16  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 11,287
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wtm003 View Post
I don't think your comment is irritating, but you really can't compare the restaurants on the list to a few you mentioned. I've been to a couple in North End of Boston and it's a totally different experience than going to Barolo Grill in Denver where you're not going to find a chicken parm or linguine with clams on the menu. My friend with a vowel at the end of his name would likely say Frasca in Boulder is one of the best Italian restaurants he's been to, but that doesn't mean he doesn't like a good lasagna.

I take it you have zero familiarity with Vetri.
Birdie is offline  
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 02:41 PM
  #17  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 19,330
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wtm003 View Post
I don't blame you lol, but now I want to try it again for the nostalgia. I promise I was never one of those awful people, maybe an extra breadstick, but I'm sure you have stories. I don't think I ever ordered anything else from the menu.
My favorite after shift meal: breadsticks with alfredo sauce and a slice of frozen tiramisu. The good old days...when I had a college kid's metabolism.
kureiff is offline  
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 04:07 PM
  #18  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,971
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Birdie View Post
I take it you have zero familiarity with Vetri.
No, I haven't been there and probably won't unless I go to their Las Vegas location. Notice I said "a few" of the restaurants that were mentioned by the OP, which you likely wouldn't find comparable to Vetri.
wtm003 is offline  
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 04:26 PM
  #19  
ET
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 7,388
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ziggypop View Post
Mrs Z loves Olive Garden. Well, the one in St Cloud.
How in the world does Olive Garden get on a thread about the best Italian restaurants in the United States?
ET is offline  
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 04:31 PM
  #20  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 26,312
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wtm003 View Post
Notice I said "a few" of the restaurants that were mentioned by the OP, which you likely wouldn't find comparable to Vetri.
Exactly. I mean, Giacamoís? Heck, when I think North End I think mediocre.
travelgourmet is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:27 AM.