Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Fodor's 15 of the Best Italian Restaurants in the United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/fodors-15-of-the-best-italian-restaurants-in-the-united-states-1696749/)

phillyboy Apr 7th, 2021 06:11 AM

Fodor's 15 of the Best Italian Restaurants in the United States

I imagine this comment may irritate some, but ... how can any such list not include any restaurants from the Northeast, where the best Italian eating has been established for many years? Nothing from New York (Roberto's, Esca), Nothing from Philadelphia (Le Virtu, Vetri), nothing from Boston (Rino's, Giacomo's). But there are entries from Salt Lake City, Boulder, and Nashville, where it's hard to find anyone with a name ending in a vowel?

Disappointing list!

Macross Apr 7th, 2021 07:01 AM

You made me go to front page. Amber seems to be a LA/West Coast young lady. Maybe she has never ventured to the north end of Boston or to South Philly. NYC has so many to pick from. I looked at her Instagram account. Chicago did get a mention.

travelgourmet Apr 7th, 2021 07:10 AM

To be fair it is 15 OF the best, not the 15 best.

FWIW, I think the restaurants in Boston’s North End to be wildly overrated.

wtm003 Apr 7th, 2021 09:25 AM

I don't think your comment is irritating, but you really can't compare the restaurants on the list to a few you mentioned. I've been to a couple in North End of Boston and it's a totally different experience than going to Barolo Grill in Denver where you're not going to find a chicken parm or linguine with clams on the menu. My friend with a vowel at the end of his name would likely say Frasca in Boulder is one of the best Italian restaurants he's been to, but that doesn't mean he doesn't like a good lasagna.

curiousgeo Apr 7th, 2021 09:44 AM

Never been to any on the list. I like Dan Tana’s in LA and Original Joe’s in SF which should tell you my taste in Italian restaurants lol.

Pepper_von_snoot Apr 7th, 2021 12:19 PM

Who cares? Lists. Big deal. I am going to publish my grocery list.

Thin,aristocrat 🦌

maitaitom Apr 7th, 2021 12:41 PM

Ristorante Pesto in Philly ... il nostro ristorante italiano numero uno!

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/ris...iladelphia-pa/

ziggypop Apr 7th, 2021 12:47 PM

Mrs Z loves Olive Garden. Well, the one in St Cloud.

cathies Apr 7th, 2021 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Pepper_von_snoot (Post 17230049)
Who cares? Lists. Big deal. I am going to publish my grocery list.

Thin,aristocrat 🦌

+1.

I hope the mods move this out of the lounge and into the US forum.

tom42 Apr 7th, 2021 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by cathies (Post 17230055)
+1.

I hope the mods move this out of the lounge and into the US forum.

why?

tom42 Apr 7th, 2021 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by ziggypop (Post 17230054)

Her last name doesn't end in a vowel I am guessing. :p

kureiff Apr 7th, 2021 01:04 PM

One of my college roommates was from St. Cloud. I waitressed at the Olive Garden in college...the one in Fargo.

wtm003 Apr 7th, 2021 01:19 PM

When I was in my 20s, there was an Olive Garden near my office and I frequently went for the unlimited soup, salad and breadsticks.

kureiff Apr 7th, 2021 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by wtm003 (Post 17230068)
When I was in my 20s, there was an Olive Garden near my office and I frequently went for the unlimited soup, salad and breadsticks.

Let me tell you, as a server, I loathed unlimited soup, salad, and breadsticks, and the September promotion for the never-ending pasta bowl. ;)

wtm003 Apr 7th, 2021 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by kureiff (Post 17230069)
Let me tell you, as a server, I loathed unlimited soup, salad, and breadsticks, and the September promotion for the never-ending pasta bowl. ;)

I don't blame you lol, but now I want to try it again for the nostalgia. I promise I was never one of those awful people, maybe an extra breadstick, but I'm sure you have stories. I don't think I ever ordered anything else from the menu.

Birdie Apr 7th, 2021 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by wtm003 (Post 17230005)
I don't think your comment is irritating, but you really can't compare the restaurants on the list to a few you mentioned. I've been to a couple in North End of Boston and it's a totally different experience than going to Barolo Grill in Denver where you're not going to find a chicken parm or linguine with clams on the menu. My friend with a vowel at the end of his name would likely say Frasca in Boulder is one of the best Italian restaurants he's been to, but that doesn't mean he doesn't like a good lasagna.

I take it you have zero familiarity with Vetri.

kureiff Apr 7th, 2021 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by wtm003 (Post 17230085)
I don't blame you lol, but now I want to try it again for the nostalgia. I promise I was never one of those awful people, maybe an extra breadstick, but I'm sure you have stories. I don't think I ever ordered anything else from the menu.

My favorite after shift meal: breadsticks with alfredo sauce and a slice of frozen tiramisu. The good old days...when I had a college kid's metabolism.

wtm003 Apr 7th, 2021 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Birdie (Post 17230088)
I take it you have zero familiarity with Vetri.

No, I haven't been there and probably won't unless I go to their Las Vegas location. Notice I said "a few" of the restaurants that were mentioned by the OP, which you likely wouldn't find comparable to Vetri.

ET Apr 7th, 2021 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by ziggypop (Post 17230054)

How in the world does Olive Garden get on a thread about the best Italian restaurants in the United States?

travelgourmet Apr 7th, 2021 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by wtm003 (Post 17230104)
Notice I said "a few" of the restaurants that were mentioned by the OP, which you likely wouldn't find comparable to Vetri.

Exactly. I mean, Giacamo’s? Heck, when I think North End I think mediocre.