Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Fodor-TarHeels: Where to go on 'Crystal Coast' or nearby for Oct.? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/fodor-tarheels-where-to-go-on-crystal-coast-or-nearby-for-oct-546925/)

Cassandra Jul 26th, 2005 06:24 AM

Fodor-TarHeels: Where to go on 'Crystal Coast' or nearby for Oct.?

Hi, y'all,

Have gone to Wrightsville Beach for an October long weekend for several years now (Surf Suites, Holiday Inn, Blockaderunner), thinking of trying elsewhere. What would be your recommendation in the Emerald Isle/Indian Beach area for a nice oceanfront hotel/motel/B&B in a relatively quiet area (although Oct. is quiet generally anyway)? What about other islands like Topsail or ....? (Don't really have time to get all the way out to Ocracoke or rest of OBX, unfortunately.)

Subway_Scoundrel Jul 26th, 2005 09:42 AM

Not many motels/hotels at Emeral Isle. You may want to try Summer Winds at Indian Beach which is a condo complex. There are not many hotels as there are private homes instead. A few cheaper Beach motels at Emeral but not sure I reccomend them, but they might not be that bad. Just down the beach is Atlantic Beach. There is a Sheraton and few others that look OK. I would do an Expedia serch on Atlantic Beach. We have a family home there so I do not know much on Hotels, but can answer specific questions on other items. If October, the prices on condos/homes would be cheaper and easier to book.

Cassandra Jul 26th, 2005 09:51 AM

Thanks, that was my impression the last time we drove through that area, but I was hoping.... don't have a full week so a rental doesn't make sense. Just hoping someone has a secret favorite or. ..

SAnParis Jul 26th, 2005 10:21 AM

I am partial to the Brunswick Islands just south of the area you are speaking of. You can likely rent an entie cottage for what you will pay for a hotel room where you are currently looking. Oak Island (the most inhabited), Holden Beach, Ocean Isle & Sunset Beach are all great alternatives & typcally in October you will have the Festival by the Sea 22/23 & the Oyster Festival 15/16 for example.

audreyh1 Jul 26th, 2005 12:10 PM

I like Atlantic Beach because it is close to Beaufort and that is a lovely area. Sunset Beach will always be my favorite though. You can find a house to rent for what you would pay for a hotel. Search beachrentaldirect.com and rent directly from the owners. Good Luck!

Subway_Scoundrel Jul 26th, 2005 12:19 PM

But check Summer Winds in Indian Beach. I bet they will do a weekend in October. Right at the Emerald Isle city line.

Toots Jul 26th, 2005 12:35 PM

I've always thought The Winds @ Ocean Isle looked interesting and is located ocean front in a nice area. It's a Clarion Inn and may be somewhat older. They have a website for pictures etc. I'd be interested to hear comments from anyone who has actually stayed there.

cmcfong Jul 26th, 2005 02:02 PM

The Windjammer on Atlantic Beach is a relatively small hotel, all rooms are oceanfront. Most rooms are equipped with a microwave and a fridge. I have stayed there many years although the convention group I am with is usually at the Sheraton, I really prefer the Windjammer. I love Beaufort which is a short ride away. Charming inn there is the Inlet Inn. Excellent restaurants:
Beaufort Grocery, Spouter, and Front Street Grill. Bistro by the Sea is good, requires reservations. Great area. Enjoy yourself.

beach_dweller Jul 27th, 2005 08:50 AM

Toots,

Caveat: we haven't stayed there in 5 or 6 years. However, I LOVE the Winds on Ocean Isle. It is older but funky; right on the ocean, fairly extensive deck. My better half didn't really like it though; she didn't think the bathrooms were up to snuff (not dirty or anything, but when we went they had seen better days; perhaps they've been remodeled now).

Cassandra,

nothing against the Crystal Coast (I have fond memories of Emerald Isle, which I used to frequent when I lived in Raleigh NC). But, I agree with SAnParis that you should not overlook the Brunswick County islands: Oak, Holden, Ocean Isle, and Sunset Beach. You can make a great day-trip to Wilmington or a half-day trip to Southport from any of them, and the beaches there are largely unspoiled and (in October) absolutely uncrowded.

SugarPlum Jul 27th, 2005 09:28 AM

Although I vacationed at Atlantic Beach & Emerald Isle as a child, we now go to Topsail Island -- specifically to North Topsail Beach. Topsail in October is beautiful, uncrowded, and you should be able to get a one-bedroom condo at a complex like the Villa Capriani for a long weekend. There are several hotels on the island, but they are further south on the island in Surf City, and I haven't stayed in any. North Topsail has several good restaurants, a golf course (North Shore), and miles of fairly wide beaches. We love it there.

GoTravel Jul 27th, 2005 10:32 AM

Cassandra, not Emerald Isle but have you considered Pawleys Island? Octobers are usually mid 80s and ocean water warm.

ncgrrl Jul 27th, 2005 10:52 AM

Beaufort might have more B&B quiet feel to it. It's not ocean front (sound front). I don't have any recommendations for a place to stay.

However, there are around 50 stoplights on highway 70 from Raleigh to the beach (and around Kinston you think the lights will never end. In Havelock you know you'll never get there.). If you go to Wrightsville, keep on I-40 and cruise down the highway.

Cassandra Jul 28th, 2005 05:18 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, people. Will look into the ones close enough to drive in less than 3 hrs., on the ocean.

Re: getting a rental for a long weekend instead of a full week -- would an agent be the one to contact for that (i.e., authorized to rent for less than full period)?

Gretchen Jul 28th, 2005 05:25 AM

With your reference to "October is a quiet time", I think you will find it quite busy. October on the SE coast is absolutely the BEST time of year!! Agree with GoTravel--look further down the coast at Pawley's (Litchfield by the Sea would be a good bet for a shorter rental), Garden City. Beautiful beaches, shopping. Check Litchfield Beach and Golf Resort. They have very good bargains for various seasons.

Cassandra Aug 19th, 2005 07:01 AM

Thanks, but Pawley's is just too far for us to drive for a weekend. May yet end up at Holiday Inn....

cmcfong Aug 19th, 2005 09:19 AM

If you are interested in a great inn in Beaufort, consider the Inlet Inn. First and second floor rooms have a porch with rockers and quite a lovely view of the islands. The beach is a short drive away. Once in Beaufort you can walk to excellent restaurants.