Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Flying to SF,Ca. aug. 3rd then driving to Portland...2 week trip total

May 7th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Ok so im super excited about the trip that we are gonna take....will def be my first time on the west coast.

The group that is going will be my boyfriend and i then another couple with a 3 year old daughter. We are all 25-30 as far as age range. The couple with the daughter make the trip to portland every year for a family reunion but have decided to include us this year....

anyway the question i have is what shall we do...we will be arriving then renting a car and driving to portland. there will hopefully be quite a few stops in between, we are going to try to camp in some areas during the trip and have talked about visiting the redwood forests but we def. want to make it worth while. I havent researched much as far as what there maybe to do or see. if there is anything that is out of the ordinary or interesting ideas that would be greatly appreciated, we like different.

hopefully thats enough info for some suggestions!!
May 7th, 2009, 05:15 PM

For camping you will need to make reservations, at least in California. We were looking at a state park in the redwoods near Crescent City and made reservations two weeks ago for August; most of the tent sites were already reserved, and this is for a Thursday night. Where you choose not to bake reservations you should plan on arriving before noon to get sites that may be kept off the reservation system.

Most people suggest a drive up the coast. I would suggest a drive up the coast up to Mendocino and from Crescent City cut inland to see Crater Lake. Lava Beds National Monument is also interesting but very hot.

Have you camped before? Has the 3 year old? If not, I am not sure that I would recommend it. If you have, make a list of the equipment you think you would need for camping, price it out in your nearest K-Mart or Target, and then make the purchase in SF to abandon it at the end of your trip. For two couples sharing the cooking equipment you should be able to get away with $500 which would be recouped very quickly assuming that you do your own cooking--a stay at a motel generally means the extra cost of breakfast and dinner.
May 7th, 2009, 05:16 PM

I forgot: click on my name and you will find a couple of reports on camping trips from SF to the Northwest.
May 7th, 2009, 05:56 PM

Are you driving back from Portland too or just going one way? How many days of the 2 weeks do you plan to be driving?

You also say the other couple makes this trip every year. Wouldn't it be best for them to make the plans?

Camping in both Northern California and Oregon can be wonderful but as Michael has said, you will probably need reservations for August. It really depends on how many nights you would be camping to make it worthwhile to purchase the necessary equipment unless you are bringing it with you.
May 7th, 2009, 08:30 PM

Gosh, it's a pretty long drive. Definitely be sure to have reservations. Both areas are wonderful and it is very exciting to see the West coast for the first time! But it is a long drive with a 3 year old. Welcome!