Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Flying to MSY New Orleans - driving to Biloxi - safe travels? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/flying-to-msy-new-orleans-driving-to-biloxi-safe-travels-804623/)

steffiemax Sep 4th, 2009 06:32 PM

Flying to MSY New Orleans - driving to Biloxi - safe travels?

I will be flying into Armstrong Int'l airport and staying in the area one night and then driving to Biloxi the next day. Anyone reccomend a decent hotel for one night in New Orleans that isn't scarey yet not too expensive? I'm then driving from the airport to Biloxi the next day. How safe is that drive? What is the weather like in New Orleans / Mississippi in November? Do I need rain boots? These questions are coming from a girl in Brooklyn New York - I'm used to driving on roads full of people and cars and buildings... need to know what I'm getting into. Lonley roads scare me :)

Grcxx3 Sep 4th, 2009 07:30 PM

Do you want to stay near the airport that night or in town? There are a couple of decent hotels across from the airport on Airline Hwy. Not luxury, but okay and safe.

The drive from NO to Biloxi is easy. Probably 1.5 hours from the airport. I-10 most of the way. One somewhat isolated stretch from eastern New Orleans to Slidell, but it is well-traveled, so shouldn't be any problem.

Rain? Always a possibility, but decent shoes (not boots) are all you'll need. Lived in NO almost 30 years and I don't think I ever owned a pair or rain boots! :)

ccolor Sep 5th, 2009 04:39 AM

If you want to stay in the French Quarter in New Orleans, you might want to consider not renting a car until you're ready to go to Biloxi. Parking is normally an extra cost in the Quarter and since you're only going to be there overnight, you can pretty much walk anywhere you would want to see. Just grab a cab from the airport and, since most of the hotels have cab stands very close, you can take one to your car rental the next day. Shoot, if you're that close to the French Quarter, you really should see it - even if it's only one night!

steffiemax Sep 9th, 2009 11:29 AM

Great information. Thank you so much for taking the time out to reply to my inquiry. I'm actually flying down to meet a friend and then we're driving to Biloxi the next day to do a Habitat for Humanity Build. I've never been to "NO" or Mississippi - just like to make sure I know what to expect. Thank you again.

cheryllj Sep 9th, 2009 02:10 PM

It will be warmer in November than what you are used to (and probably rainier), and the avg. high in Nov. is around 70. Some years it's so warm that it still feels like summer, but if it dips below 70 the locals will think it's chilly. This generally amuses people from the North who wear shorts when the locals are bundled in sweaters and jackets.

Layers are your friend (it could be hot, you never know), and you can probably leave your big winter coat at home.

The drive from NO to Biloxi is quite quick and easy and I-10 almost the whole way, as everyone has said. The road is not going to be lonely, it's a major interstate traveling through a fairly well populated area, not the back roads.