Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Flying Tips/Especially for long overseas trips. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/flying-tips-especially-for-long-overseas-trips-370497/)

VaMtnGirl Jun 1st, 2008 10:30 AM

Flying Tips/Especially for long overseas trips.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips to make the long hours of an overseas flight any more pleasant or at least more tolerable.

I have fibromyalsia, and will have to be sitting on a plane for about 12 hours. UGH!!! I'd rather not have to spend the first 36 hours after arrival in bed. Any ideas would be helpful...and no, I can't afford first class travel.

Thanks in advance.

SusanSDG Jun 1st, 2008 10:51 AM

Drugs.
Seriously, take your muscle relaxant and pain med of choice and sleep as much as possible. No matter what you do, you'll be stiff and sore when you arrive, but sleeping makes the time go faster and makes it easier to stay out of bed until the new bedtime where you're traveling. ALL of the jet lag tips are especialy important for you, meaning you stay up and out when you arrive, so you can get in some semblance of a routine.
Bon voyage!

LoveItaly Jun 1st, 2008 01:32 PM

Hello VaMtnGirl, try to get an aisle seat, that way you can stand up from time to time without disturbing your seatmates. And wear comfortable clothing, nothing binding. As long as you are clean and presentable don't worry about being fashionable, try to find an outfit that is rather like wearing PJ's..binding clothes would end up being miserable I would think. And as SusanSDG posted..take whatever meds you have been prescribed etc. Best wishes, I hope that the flight is on time and comfortable for you.

P.S. Personally I find a good book can sure help the hours pass by but I love to read so don't know if that would help you.

suze Jun 1st, 2008 02:41 PM

Aisle seat is THE most important to me. Comfortable clothes, something to read (or if you do puzzles, whatever) passes the time too.

On an overnight flight go to "sleep" when they put the lights down, even if you don't really. Put on an eye mask, cover up with a blanket, listen to headphones with soothing music, and rest (instead of figiting).

Pace the flight with the movies or meals offered.

Definitely certain medications help. Yours you need for the fibromyalsia of course, but also an anti-anxiety or sleep-aid (ask your doctor).

joebear Jun 1st, 2008 03:45 PM

Just took an overnight flight... I took the meds also...had an aisle seat, wore the jogging suit...all highly reccomended. I did enjoy the movie...didn't sleep but was able to relax....I suggest a pair of washable fuzzy socks ... and the travel pillow. Chocolate is always a good comfort any time any where for me.

abram Jun 1st, 2008 04:54 PM

I completely disagree about an aisle seat. I much prefer a window seat so I can lean against the wall and not be disturbed by other people getting up and down or by the flight attendants pushing carts. My goal is to sleep for as much of the flight as possible, and I find that Ambien helps me; I've had no side effects from it.

dmlove Jun 1st, 2008 04:59 PM

<i>I completely disagree about an aisle seat</i>

There are window seat people and there are aisle seat people. I for one feel completely claustrophobic in a window seat. I'd rather get up 10 times to let my row-mates up than have to ask them to get up to let me out even once. Only the poster knows which she'd prefer (I suspect due to her condition she might want to get up and get some exercise from time to time, so I'd guess an aisle seat would be better for her).

In addition to all the other suggestions, if the flight you're on won't have personal TV screens that you can control, you might think about bringing a personal DVD player and some of your own movies --- just another distraction from the tedium.

VaMtnGirl Jun 2nd, 2008 02:25 PM

Thanks for all the great information. It's much appreciated and I will certainly take it all into consideration.

LoveItaly Jun 2nd, 2008 02:30 PM

Good comment dmlove, and I like you am an aisle seat person. I think if I was sitting in the window seat I would want to get up every 30 minutes just because I would feel so &quot;trapped&quot;. Best wishes for a good flight VaMtnGirl.

321go Jun 2nd, 2008 02:35 PM

I'd also add this: stay hydrated and get up and move around from time to time. I think my muscles get stiff from sitting and feel much better even if I just walk up and down the aisle occasionally.

janisj Jun 2nd, 2008 04:15 PM

It is pretty important to get up and walk/stretch every now and then. Of course sleep is important too. But the main thing that relieves pain/stiffness is to get up and walk. And w/ all the 2-aisle jumbos - walking is easy except of course during meal/drink service.

So just another reason to take an aisle seat.