Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Flying into Midway/Out of O'Hare: Where to leave luggage while at Cubs game?

Jun 8th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

We are a family of four going on an insane baseball tour. Sadly, our schedule allows us only one long day in Chicago.

We're arriving at Midway at 9:30 AM, attending a 12:00 game (which we hope won't be rained out), then taking an 8:00 PM flight to NY from O'Hare (so we can get there in time for the Yankees the next day).

Would appreciate suggestions for where to leave our bags (carry-on) while at the game:
- a hotel close to Wrigley
- VIP area at Wrigley?
- or possibly a trusted car service that could pick us up at one airport and take us back to the
other.

Thanks, everyone. And please don't critique our itinerary. We know we're crazy, but there were games that certain members of our family just couldn't miss.
Jun 8th, 2008, 07:08 PM

For a hotel "close enough" to Wrigley, try the City Suites on Belmont and Sheffield. It's 0.7 miles from Wrigley, and is serviceable for a quickie one-night stay.

http://www.cityinns.com/citysuites/
Jun 8th, 2008, 07:11 PM

Never mind, I just realized that you just want a place to leave luggage. No idea if they will do that, but I guess it's worth calling to find out.
Jun 8th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, TwoFat. Is that the closest hotel to the field?
Jun 8th, 2008, 07:54 PM

Based on a hotels.com search, it appears to be the hotel closest to Wrigley. Wrigley is in a densely residential area, so there aren't a ton of hotels like there are downtown.
Jun 8th, 2008, 08:21 PM

The Best Western Hawthorne Terrace is also nearby. I'd give the hotel(s) a call before you go, just to make sure they'll do this. It's a nice walk from there to the game - my best friend lives very close to the hotel and we take that walk a lot.

Otherwise, you could always try one of the hotels in the loop if you're taking public transport, since you would switch trains in the loop anyways (from Orange to Red on the way in, and Red to Blue on the way out.) It might be nice to NOT have luggage on the Red Line on game day, since the train is always packed. You could try the Allegro, the Renaissance or the Palmer House Hilton.

Otherwise, I'd find a number and call customer service at Wrigley. I'm sure you're not the first family who has wanted to see a game and had luggage in tow

Good luck!
Jun 9th, 2008, 02:57 AM

Maybe even rent a car for the day? Do the 1 way rental from Midway to O'Hare. That may give you more time to enjoy Wrigley. Not the most cost-effective method but it would work.
Jun 9th, 2008, 03:02 AM

Out of curiosity, what other stadiums are you going to for your trip?
Jun 9th, 2008, 06:12 AM

Wrigley Field has a parcel check (as does Cellular Field). There isn't much info on their website, but you should be able to call and ask.

If you opt to leave them at a hotel, I'd do it at one of the larger hotels downtown. They have people who store bags all the time before check-in or after check-out so you'd be like just another guest.

If you left them at the Palmer House, you could take the Orange Line from MDW, drop the bags, then catch the Red Line to Wrigley. The total walk would be about one block. When you're ready to leave, catch the Red Line back to the Loop, pick up the bags and walk one block to the Blue Line.
Jun 9th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. These are great options. We are thinking about both the car and the Palmer House idea, but will also contact Wrigley. The Palmer House might be best because that way we'll get more of a sense of Chicago.

We're also going to:
Braves
Cubs (playing CWS)
Yankees
Mets
Cooperstown
Tigers?
Indians

It was VERY difficult planning this trip because of game schedules. And to complicate things, we're looking at colleges as well.

We live on the west coast. We'll be starting in Atlanta, flying to Chicago and NY, driving to upstate NY (and possibly Detroit) and then flying home from Cleveland. We managed to use Delta mileage (just ten days before the trip) for all legs except ORD-LGA, but whatever we saved in plane fare we will be giving to the ticket brokers.

And although my boys (both teens) are thrilled, I will be ready for a real vacation when we return.

Jun 9th, 2008, 07:47 AM

Wow, that sounds like an crazy trip, crosscheck. Good luck!
Jun 9th, 2008, 07:51 AM

I would also check with a car service like limolink.com. I haven't used them in Chicago, but they operate nationwide and I've used them several times in NYC and they are VERY accommodating. They may well keep your bags for the day. It might be cheaper than the car rental idea and might be a lot less hassle than getting to a hotel, checking bags, getting to and from the game, etc.
Jun 9th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Can anyone recommend a great ticket broker for Yankees and Cubs?
Jun 9th, 2008, 05:09 PM

crosscheck, you in a heap of hurt trying to get Cubbies/Sox tickets this late date. I'd try ebay tickets. But I'm bettin' you'll be looking at 500-600 for 4 seats. EEK! Bleacher seats may be a bit cheaper (and always more fun at Wrigley!).

Good luck! Have a great time in my favorite city!!!

Paula
Jun 9th, 2008, 06:10 PM

Try Stubhub or Ebay. Who are the Yankees playing when you are there? You are facing a lot of money for these games, especially if all of them are Interleague. Toughest time to get tickets. Good luck getting tickets. Its not going to be easy or cheap.
Jun 9th, 2008, 06:14 PM

Sorry for the doublepost.

http://www.stubhub.com/chicago-cubs-...1-2008-495079/

There are tickets there cheaper than I expected. You are going to have to be willing to split up potentially. Act now to get these tickets.
Jun 9th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. We easily got tickets for Atlanta. Lots of choices (surprisingly) for Cubs. Yankees much more of a challenge.
Jun 10th, 2008, 02:03 AM

http://www.stubhub.com/new-york-yank...2-2008-511504/

There are some tickets available at an ok price. 1 thing I would recommend is not getting bleacher seats as you cannot access the rest of the stadium with these tickets.
Jun 10th, 2008, 02:45 PM

If you're taking public transportation from Wrigley to O'Hare, you DO NOT go through the loop. You take a bus up Addison to the blue line -- it'll be much shorter. So the Palmer House or any other hotel in the loop is NOT a good idea.

"Thanks, everyone. These are great options. We are thinking about both the car and the Palmer House idea, but will also contact Wrigley. The Palmer House might be best because that way we'll get more of a sense of Chicago."
Jun 10th, 2008, 10:50 PM

The red line is running on the elevated (brown line) tracks) most weekends, so the Palmer House idea may not work if you are here during a weekend.

Lots of Cubs/Sox tickets available on Craigslist. And there are always tickets available from the brokers right near the el station on the day of the game.

Try priceline for car rentals. We've been able to get one day rentals from Midway for $12 pretty regularly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO