Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Flying into Billings, MT to visit Yellowstone, etc
Notices

Flying into Billings, MT to visit Yellowstone, etc

May 11th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Original Poster

Flying into Billings, MT to visit Yellowstone, etc

First time we went to GTNP and YNP, we flew into Salt Lake to spend a few days in Park City. This trip (2012) we plan to spend the whole two weeks in the parks and driving/hiking the Beartooth en route to Red Lodge perhaps Cody.

Thinking it would make sense to fly into Billings or Jackson. Any comments on flying into Billings? Would car rentals be much more expensive there?
May 12th, 2011, 01:15 AM

You can probably fly into Billings from either SLC or through MSP. Billings has plenty of car rental opportunities and you could easily check with a company such as Hertz and compare the difference in rental rates between Jackson and Billings.

I've done the rental out of Billings which was easy and convenient.
May 12th, 2011, 04:55 AM

Hello Clousie,

My hiking group flew into Billings a few years ago. We did find the van we had reserved through National was unavailable and the explanation was they did not have vans that size in their fleet. We ended up having to rent two cars. While we were going through the rental process we noticed that the same people were staffing several companies . I did not find the pricing out of line with other markets.

We stayed at Blue Sky Cabins about a half hour outside Red Lodge. Highly recommended, one of the best places I have ever stayed. I did a trip report on Fodors and a review of the lodging on T/A (same screenname).

It is a marvelous area. Enjoy your trip!

Search this Thread