Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   flying from los angeles to see the south ?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/flying-from-los-angeles-to-see-the-south-1046230/)

barbschick May 24th, 2015 09:49 AM

flying from los angeles to see the south ??

my husband and I are planning to experience the south taking in the great smoky mtns , Asheville, Charleston and Savannah....iam wondering what the best flight path would be,,either to fly into Savannah and go from there or fly to Atlanta and then go to smoky mtns, Savannah, Charleston and back to Atlanta.. we have at least 11 days..thanks so much

J62 May 24th, 2015 09:53 AM

There are a lot more flight options LA to Atlanta then other cities.

Dukey1 May 24th, 2015 09:58 AM

I suspect you might want one of the non-stops LAX-ATL (which might be more expensive than a connecting route) and then you could fly to any of the main cities mentioned or rent a car in ATl and possibly fly back through ATL after dropping the car somewhere else.

barbschick May 24th, 2015 10:58 AM

yes and thanks for your reply ..we were thinking about flying non stop lax to atl and renting a car and go see smoky mtn area, Asheville, then down to Charleston and Savannah then back to Atllanta..don't know the area but does that seem plausible..

J62 May 24th, 2015 11:12 AM

Yes. Seems plausible to me.

jamie99 May 24th, 2015 12:22 PM

I've always had to fly Delta nonstop LAX-ATL when flying to Savannah then fly a hopper into Savannah. Asheville is also lovely, have a BIL in the outer suburbs there, lovely town. Have fun.

Gretchen May 25th, 2015 02:20 AM

You might do much better making a loop from Charlotte--and probably have as many choices of flights.
Charlotte-Asheville-Smokies-Charleston/Savannah-Charlotte.
It is 3.5 hours to Charleston from Charlotte--2 hours to Asheville. Closer than Atlanta.

starrs May 25th, 2015 08:20 AM

I think it's very doable. I would fly into Atlanta, see anything that's of interest in Atlanta, head north via 441 through North Georgia (and even stop for a night to sight-see the area). On to Asheville for a couple of nights. Down to Charleston, over to Savannah and then back to the Atlanta area for the night before your flight. There's lots to see and do along the way.

janisj May 25th, 2015 10:01 AM

I'd fly into Charlotte. AA/USA fly non-stop. No reason to hassle w/ Atlanta unless there is something in particular you want to see/do there.

starrs May 25th, 2015 10:29 AM

The flip side of that is: There's no reason to hassle w/ Charlotte unless there is something in particular you want to see/do there.

janisj May 25th, 2015 12:40 PM

For Ashville the Smokies and Charleston Charlotte makes more sense.

Open jaw into one and home from the other would be best but you'd have to be on different airlines if you want non-stops . . .

starrs May 25th, 2015 12:51 PM

"For Ashville the Smokies and Charleston Charlotte makes more sense."

I don't agree that it "makes more sense".

A loop out of Atlanta is about the same in time and distance than a loop out of Charlotte. IMO there's more to see in Atlanta than Charlotte. There's more cool stuff to see between Atlanta and Asheville & Savannah and Atlanta. IMO the Atlanta loop is more interesting that the Charlotte loop. I do have to admit I'm not much of a fan of Charlotte, and quit a job because the boss wanted me to relocate there (vs somewhere along the coast as I previously planned).

There is nothing better about using Charlotte as the start/end point of a loop - other than personal preference. It's one of two options, but doesn't "make more sense".

Gretchen May 25th, 2015 02:17 PM

Let Starrs have it--do what she says, always.

Gretchen May 25th, 2015 02:18 PM

Atlanta is SUCH a great place to land and take off.

starrs May 25th, 2015 04:49 PM

Wow.