Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Flying-bring carseat or not? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/flying-bring-carseat-or-not-274311/)

Pickles Nov 19th, 2002 04:54 AM

Flying-bring carseat or not?

I have a simple question. I don't want this to be a discussion about how I shouldn't travel with my baby.<BR>When we fly our baby will be 11 months old. We did not buy a seat for him because there will be 5 of us traveling and so he can move from lap to lap. However, some people have told me this is very unsafe. So my question is should we haul his big carseat with us and buy him a seat? Or would a child safety belt(that is strapped to the adult and the baby) be sufficiant? Any tips from someone who's traveled with a baby would be appriciated. And yes, I will check out the site that someone else posted today.<BR><BR>Thnaks<BR><BR>Thanks

Julie Nov 19th, 2002 07:04 AM

Hi,<BR>I find that the flight goes smoother when I have my kids in carseats. I have an 8mo. old and a 22 mo. old and they are much easier to manage when buckled in. When my oldest was about a year, my husband I flew NY-LA and didn't have a carseat--it was the longest flight of my life!!! The baby was wiggly and we had to walk up and down the aisle for over half the flight. By the end, everyone around us probably wanted to kill us. <BR><BR>If you can afford to buy a seat, do so. Remember to put the carseat in a middle, not window or aisle and try to request a bulkhead when you get to the airport! Bring plenty of quiet toys and books and if you get lucky, they'll even sleep. (I've given my little one a decongestant to prevent earaches and so far so good!)<BR><BR>Good luck!<BR>Julie<BR><BR>

Monica Nov 19th, 2002 02:44 PM

Are you going to need to drive anywhere once you get where you are going? If so, you will need to bring the carseat anyhow. The carseat is much safer in case of turbulence, plus your child will be used to the carseat and more comfortable there.

ilisa Nov 19th, 2002 04:26 PM

Yes, you should bring the carseat. It is simply not safe to carry a child on your lap. Heaven forbid you hit strong turbulence, your child would make a very nice projectile. Also, it will be more comfortable for everyone. How do you think your child will feel being passed around for five hours? Child safety vests that strap to the adult are not approved for takeoff and landing, by the way. You will need your carseat at your destination if you are planning to drive anywhere. I am interested in the fact that Julie straps the carseat in the middle, since regulations require carseats

ilisa Nov 19th, 2002 04:27 PM

Yes, you should bring the carseat. It is simply not safe to carry a child on your lap. Heaven forbid you hit strong turbulence, your child would make a very nice projectile. Also, it will be more comfortable for everyone. How do you think your child will feel being passed around for five hours? Child safety vests that strap to the adult are not approved for takeoff and landing, by the way. You will need your carseat at your destination if you are planning to drive anywhere. If you are concerned about the cost, most airlines offer 1/2 price fares for children under 2 if you ask. I am interested in the fact that Julie straps the carseat in the middle, since it is my understanding that regulations require carseats to be installed by the window.

Kate Nov 19th, 2002 04:33 PM

Can you rent a car seat from the airline? I would call and see if there is anything available, this would save you from hauling yours around. Also, I recently flew an international carrier and they had a &quot;baby basket&quot; that attached to the &quot;wall&quot; in the middle of the plane (this is confusing I know but I don't know what else to call it) the baby basket was attached to the wall, in front of the parents in the middle aisle. I think you need to call the airline directly.

Rose Nov 19th, 2002 05:39 PM

Well, you might think the baby is too big, but personally I think the bassinette would be a great way to contain the kid and keep the snacks, toys, etc. all in one place and off the floor and seats of the aircraft.

Done that Nov 19th, 2002 06:04 PM

I would just hold the child. My kid would never tolerate being in a seat of his own and for us purchasing a seat is just a waste of space and money.

TravelingMom Nov 20th, 2002 06:32 AM

Gee Done what do you do with your little darlings in the car? Hold them on your lap? It really is ridiculous that airlines do not require car seats for kids under 2. You have to have them in cars. Airplanes fly through unstable air and turbulence. This is a no brainer.

Jennifer Nov 20th, 2002 06:37 AM

Both the NTSB and the Association of Flight Attendants strongly recommend parents bring an approved car seat and use it on a plane for safety reason. Remember that United Crash in Sioux City, Iowa? A baby died because it was not properly restrained while many people walked away. Clear air turbulence can and does happen and an unsecured child can be ripped out of their parents arms. IMO safety should be your first priority. If you can not afford to buy the extra seat either drive to your destination or leave your child with Grandma.

x Nov 20th, 2002 06:42 AM

Kate why would you rent a seat from the airline or rental car company for that matter that probably hasn't been sanitized and contains drool etc. from someone else's kid. Guess what Pickles, Kate and Done, kids are a HUGE responsibility, expensive and need our protection. You should have thought of all this before you got pregnant. People like you Pickles and Done should never have been allowed to reproduce because you are selfish, self-serving, irresponsible parents. <BR>

Stacie Nov 20th, 2002 07:40 AM

We always bring our carseat for our son. We've gone California to Florida (9 mos), to Hawaii (18 mos) &amp; shorter trips up to Oregon (many times). He's done well most of the time (of course, not always) but it's definitely safer &amp; I think he must think of it as another car ride. That being said, we did let him walk around quite a bit coming back from Hawaii since he was getting cranky.

stacie Nov 20th, 2002 07:48 AM

I forgot to add the rest. We were told that the &quot;child safety belts&quot; you mentioned were not allowed during takeoff/landing--that we'd have to just hold him; I never understood why. As far as recommendations go for flying--lots of food, new toys, favorite toys/books etc worked well. I found if I got a toy that was appropriate for someone slightly younger he still had a great time with it &amp; didn't get too frustrated which sometimes happens when he can't figure a toy out.