Flyiing from Oalhu to Maui: Kahului or Kapulai/West Maui Aiports

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be flying from Honolulu to Maui in July and going to the Kaanapali Beach area. Kapulai is much closer to Kaanapali than the larger Kahului, does anyone know of a reason not to fly there? Has anyone had experience flying into this smaller airport in Western Maui? I checked with Island Air, and they seem to have quite a few flights there daily, at $84.60 for the lowest one way flight. Thanks, Marcia in Maine
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 09:20 AM

No reason not to, if you don't mind the tiny planes, longer flight and the higher price!
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 09:28 AM

Have not flown with Island Air, but I believe you will be in a smaller turbo-prop aircraft instead of a jet (Hawaiian Airlines or Aloha Airlines), and I do not believe you can redeem or accumulate Frequent Flyer Miles with Island Air (you can redeem FF with Hawaiian and many major airlines FF programs). I believe that Kaanapali is well less than 1 hour drive from OGG airport and not sure you will save any time, since jets fly faster than turbo-props. May be an advantage with Island Air if you are doing a lot of island hopping though
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 09:38 AM

What about rental car agencies? Will you be able to rent a car at a competative rate?
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses. I will have to compare prices. We aren't that fond of small planes either so maybe we are better off on a jet to Kahului Airport. Alamo does have a rental desk a Kapulai however. I have tentatively booked a car there, not sure if price would be lower from Kahului, I asm sure there would be more choices. I would be interested in hearing about other experiences.
Marcia
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 04:26 PM

The drive from Kahului to Kaanapali is just no big deal!
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 11:23 PM

I think you'll enjoy the drive (65 miles or so) from Kahului through the valley and along the coast north to your accommodations. The views of Molokini and Kaho'olawe are expansive and dramatic as you ascend and in places perch along a drive cut from sheer rock. On a clear day you can see the Big Island between Molokini and the tip of southeastern Maui. Also, there are stiff breezes in the Kapalua area that might make your landing there more memorable than you'd like.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all of you for your advice. I just booked the flight to Kahului. I saved about $25 dollors on the flight and another $30 on the less expensive rental car. It makes sense to think of the drive as part of the vacation and from Hmmm's description it sounds lovely, whjich landing at Kapalua did not. Now, all of my hotels and flights have been decided and arranged. How will I occupy myself until we leave in July?
Marcia
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 09:50 AM

Kahului Airport to Kaanapali is 31 miles.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 10:27 AM

Marsha. Mea culpa. The drive time from Kahului to Ka'anapali is roughly 65 minutes. It's beautiful.