Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Fly into SF, Oakland, or Sacramento to go to Wine Country? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/fly-into-sf-oakland-or-sacramento-to-go-to-wine-country-542373/)

ladynole35 Jul 7th, 2005 10:43 AM

Fly into SF, Oakland, or Sacramento to go to Wine Country?

Could someone give me advice on which airport to fly into since we are going to be driving to Sonoma right when we arrive in Ca.? We are driving the coast in October and the first day we are going to be staying in the wine country. We don't have our reservations yet but I don't know which airport is the best location. Thanks so much.

Suzie Jul 7th, 2005 11:25 AM

Sacto is a great airport. When I picked up my sis and headed out to Sonoma I was surprised to find that it took only 1 hour to get there. Picked her up mid morning like between 10-11. We were in Sonoma before lunch.

Personally my last choice would be SFO because they are notoriously behind schedule there. Almost any flight I have to meet there is delayed.

Marilyn Jul 7th, 2005 11:40 AM

I think it would take you about the same amount of time from Oakland or Sacramento, and maybe 30 minutes longer from SFO.

crefloors Jul 7th, 2005 01:06 PM

I think Oakland would take a bit more time until you get out of the East Bay traffic. I always go into Oakland...get the best fare but you can check the prices..either SACTO..the MOST convenient or Oakland is best. SFO is NO unless you absolutely have to.

ssm Jul 7th, 2005 04:09 PM

I agree with the call on Oakland. However, from my personal viewpoint, I have arrived there because that airport tends to have the best airfares associated with it.

Marilyn Jul 7th, 2005 04:14 PM

crefloors and ssm are right, depending on what time of day you arrive. If it's anywhere near either morning or evening rush hours, Oakland will take considerably longer because of traffic.

ladynole35 Jul 7th, 2005 04:21 PM

Southwest has a special right now for $99 oneway at all three of those locations. I just really want the best location as far as traffic and travel times. Thanks.

ladynole35 Jul 7th, 2005 04:36 PM

Another question I have is about the wine country and the coast from Jenner or Stewarts Point down. We are driving down the coast and flying out of LA. Since we are going to Big Sur and Santa Barbara, could we skip the area north of SF and get the same taste of the coastline through Big Sur and the wine country in Santa Ynez? Thanks for your help.

Marilyn Jul 7th, 2005 04:51 PM

Yes, absolutely. I live quite near the Pt. Reyes coast and love the scenery of Rt. 1 north of there, but if you are pressed for time, it is not as spectacular as Big Sur.

weimer Jul 7th, 2005 05:18 PM

I love the drive from SFO to Sonoma. It is much more scenic than the other two. If the prices are all the same, I would recomend the drive through San Fran along the bay and over the Golden Gate. It's a great start to a wine country stay. My choice in Sonoma is the Rennisance or anywhere in Hledsburg.

Have a great trip!

crefloors Jul 7th, 2005 05:31 PM

Well, if the price is all the same and the times suit you, then I would take SACTO for the convenience. The drive from SFO is a long one and frankly I don't see what's so scenic about it...it's fun to cross the Golden Gate Bridge if you never have and if it's not foggy you'll have a great view in your rear view mirror until you get into the Waldo Tunnel. I don't know, maybe from having lived down there for 20 years, I'm jaded. Maybe it's like someone who's lived in Paris all their life waiting in line so they can get the view from the top of the Eiffle Tower. In October the days will be getting shorter so if you don't know where you are going you might prefer getting to your destination before dark so SACTO would be a shorter drive.

Marilyn Jul 7th, 2005 05:42 PM

There's no need for them to drive from SFO to Sonoma because they are going to drive that same route the other direction. They are heading down to Big Sur and points south, right? So they will cross the GG Bridge and drive through SF.

LoveItaly Jul 7th, 2005 06:34 PM

Hi ladynole, just a correction. Southwest could not have a special fare to fly into SFO as Southwest no longer flys into SFO. They left SFO some time ago. They do use Oakland and Sacramento airports. Best wishes.

Marilyn Jul 7th, 2005 06:45 PM

Good catch, LoveItaly! (I knew that, but never noticed.)

crefloors Jul 7th, 2005 07:07 PM

Well duh!!!!! LoveItaly you are one smart woman!!! And now I say "I knew that" and I did but it just didn't "hit" me. I"m packing, finishing up work stuff for my Significant Other...getting ready to take off tomorrow...flying into Oakland by the way...so MUST be over tired. I just will NOT say senior moment..I'm not ready to admit that yet. LOL

cobbie Jul 7th, 2005 08:34 PM

I vote for Sacramento. Great little airport. Easy to get to Sonoma from there. Most folks who live in Napa fly from there whenever they can.

ladynole35 Jul 8th, 2005 05:39 AM

Thanks for all the advice. On the Southwest website, they still show Jax. to SF. I think I will fly into Sacramento and then drive down. I love all the help that you all give. Thanks.

LoveItaly Jul 8th, 2005 10:24 AM

Hi everone, once in awhile my brain works, LOL. Ladynole, I agree with others here. Sacramento is a very user friendly airport (I use it anytime I can) so I think you have made a good decisions. Have a beautiful time in California!

razzledazzle Jul 8th, 2005 05:48 PM

Just a little FYI about JAX to SFO
on Southwest-it's actually an ATA flight.
R5

LoveItaly Jul 8th, 2005 05:54 PM

Ah razzledazzle, the mystery is solved!! Thanks! I have been wondering on and off all day why S/W would show a flight to SFO. Thanks for the info.