Reload this Page >

Fly into BWI or National?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 12:27 PM
Cathy

I'm tempted to save money (and add to my adventure) by flying into BWI and then taking Amtrak into DC. Is this a good idea?

Also, what can you tell me about Lincoln Suites?

Thanks!

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 12:35 PM
pete

How much money are you saving? Go to www.mtamaryland.com for information on the train to Washington. A cheaper option than Amtrak is the MARC (commuter) train, that also goes from the BWI rail station to Union Station in DC for $5 each way. You can then connect to Metro at Union Station. MARC trains do not run on weekends. Another option is the new bus service from the Greenbelt metro station (DC Green line) to BWI. Go to www.wmata.com for information on it. I think it runs about $2.50 and is a non-stop ride from the metro station to airport. These options are not very expensive, but are a hassle. It's up to you whether you're saving enough money on the plane fare to justify the additional transit time on the ground. National is right over the river from DC and connected to downtown via a metro station attached to the airport.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 12:38 PM
Jeff

Better than Amtrak, take the MARC (Maryland rapid transport) train. It's only 5 dollars each way and runs fairly often (every 20 -60 minutes, I think). They have a web site with schedules.

The only catch is that they don't run late at night, so if you have a late arrival or departure, its not really an option.

BWI is not as nice an airport as National. It used to be, but has recently become very popular and congested. However, they've got some great fares, and if you don't have to use their horrible parking lots, it shouldn't be too bad.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 12:58 PM
sue

I disagree with Jeffs opion of BWI. It is a great airport although under construction now. Even so it is very spead out so the lines are reasonable even now! The parking lots are off site and you need to shuttle in but that takes at most 30 minutes. I have never waited more that 15 minutes to get to the airport terminal. The rates out of BWI are the best in the Washington area, I book many flights and use BWI 90% of the time based on availablity and cost. But if you are planning to visit Wash DC and do not have a car fly into Reagan. Try to avoid rush hour travel, the traffic is very bad, and Friday nights at Reagan are bad all around. I agree the Marc train is your best bet out of Baltimore and easy to catch from the airport. Amtrak/Marc has a station minutes from the main terminal.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 04:44 PM
r-travels

Cathy-

I've flown into BWI several times, using the gr8 r8's offered by Southwest. Have taken the Amtrak and the MARC, which is even cheaper than $5 with roundtrip ticket. Amtrak is a little faster, with only 1 stop, but only by maybe 15 minutes.

I will be using the B30 bus tomorrow, and will let you know how that is. I think that bus is $2. I've purchased the 7 day Metro pass for $17.50, which is good for the first $1.75 of fare during "rush hours" and good for all trips during non-rush hours. You can purchase Metro tickets on line with no extra service/handling charges (www.wmata.com).

It's not much "adventure" using BWI, but can be a big savings. I like riding upstairs in the "double-decker" MARC trains. (no x in my e-ddress)

BTW, you can also just take MARC or Amtrak to New Carrollton station, and change to the Orange Line of the Metro there, but it will take about 1/2 from there to reach downtown, and continues on all the way to Vienna VA.

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 03:31 PM
sue

Todays Washington Post (April 7 2002) travel section is devoted to BWI. Lots of great suggestions that may be helpful. Check out their web site they post most stories free of charge.

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 03:48 PM
Nick

Cathy:

I use the following rule of thumb: If I save $100 or more per ticket...I fly into BWI. DCA is so easy to get to...just hop in the METRO and bang you are there. DCA has also been far less congested than BWI. Getting to BWI has always been a pain. It can at least an hour in travel time each way (during non-rush hour travel periods) and possible two or three depending on which days you travel. I live in DC...not in the suburbs...and I have taken both the MARC and Amtrak trains. Not a tough trip, just adds a lot of time. I really don't want to wake up at 4am for 9am train (i.e. up at 4, leave at 5, arrive Amtrak at 5:20, catch 5:40 train, arrive BWI Rail station at 6:15, wait 15 minutes for airport shuttle, arrive at BWI at 7am, catch 9am flight.) Check train and Metro schedules before you buy a BWI ticket.

Today's "Washington Post" article is handy, but they are far more rah-rah about BWI than I am.

I have never been in the Lincoln Suites. It is on a good downtown street (near Metro stations and book and record stores. ) L Street gets pretty quiet after business hours and the hotel looks kind of dingy on the outside. I would suggest the new Marriott Couryard hotel near the MCI arena. New is usually nicer.

Happy trails.

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 06:07 PM
Christina

I don't like BWI myself, either as an airport or for logistical reasons (too far away and time-consuming to get there, traffic can be bad), but it's basically just another airport so I think you have to figure out yourself whether the extra time and trouble to get into the city is worth whatever savings you are getting on a ticket because that's basically all it really boils down to -- time vs. money.

I have stayed at Lincoln Suites twice and I like that hotel very much. However, I stayed there when it was the Anothony HOuse. I think that's a fairly central location and a metro stop is only a couple blocks away. There are enough restaurants and stores around there. I never thought it was shabby before, but since the new owners refurbished it, I imagine it's in pretty good condition. I personally would much rather stay there, near Farrugut North metro stop, than near the MCI Center. I used to stay there on business, as did others in my company, and it was nice for that because of its central location and having kitchenettes.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 07:29 AM
r-travels

Cathy, and all:

Saw the BWI Survival article in Washington Post during my stay.

I took the B30 bus from BWI on Saturday around 5pm. It was not the "standard" MetroBus - had cloth upholstered seats and racks within the bus to hold luggage. The bus filled up exactly: no one had to stand. Fare was $2, but with a transfer would only have cost $1.15 on the return trip, however we took the MARC train back.

The bus pickup is a few hundred feet south of the Light Rail station - you'll see it from the exits from the International pickup area. Remember that bus drivers cannot give change, but paper currency is accepted.

We arrived back at the airport about 4:30, two hours before our flight as suggested. Both luggage checkin and getting thru security for the "B" terminal were effortless. They've set up a LOT more scanning stations than before; my previous 2 trips thru gate security had been awful.

In all, I guess I'll consider the B30 bus to go from BWI to DC, but will take the MARC for return trips, or Amtrak on weekends. Read the Post article and decide for yourself.