Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Fly Drive intinerary Las Vegas backt o La via San Diego?

Aug 14th, 2009, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

Need help in working out where and what to see! Flying into Las Vegas and out of LA. Picking up car in LF then have 10 days to get back to LA. Have done San Francsisco before so was thinking more of going south . Can I do day trips from Las Vegas to Death Valley and Grand Canyon/Hoover Dam or should I be looking to drive and stay. Seems Phoniex is the only town of any note before Palm Springs but there must be something to see? Thinking of heading to San Diego for 3 nights then up to LA for a couple before home?
Aug 14th, 2009, 06:15 AM

3 nights in San Diego is a great choice. There are SO many fun things to do there, that I can't list them all. Get a San Diego guidebook. Hoover Dam is a day trip from LV. Death Valley is a 2.5 hour drive from LV. There is not much to do or see in Phoenix------how about the Grand Canyon and Sedona? Or you could expand your time in San Diego. If you do all the major things to do there, you could easily stay 5-7 days.
Aug 14th, 2009, 07:10 AM

Stay overnight at the Grand Canyon. It's a long drive to get there and you have to stay somewhere. Go south through Sedona, lovely place, and worth an overnight, IMO, if you have time. On the way from Sedona to Phoenix, stop at Montezuma's Castle.

http://www.nps.gov/moca/

From there, I would go straight to San Diego. Do you want to go to Palm Springs? Once you get to Phoenix, that wouldn't be the most direct route to San Diego.
Aug 14th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

No Palm Springs was not a particular destination we wanted to go to but we were just trying to find places we had heard of!!. Is Death Valley where the real long roads are where they filmed Forest Gump running across America? I think San Diego looks like a popular choice so perhaps we will do trips form Las Vegas to Death Valley , spend a night around Grand Canyon then head off to Phoenex via Sedona. sorted!
Aug 14th, 2009, 08:07 AM

Bluebelle, your most recently posted plan sounds like a great trip!