Floriday Keys for family of 5

Jul 7th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Floriday Keys for family of 5

We're starting to dig around for information about 3 to 4 night accommodations in the Keys for Winter 2009.

One hurdle is "family of 5" and the need for space for everyone. We've been looking at OP Suites and Cocoplum.

We want an outdoor pool, laundry access (even if it is easy to reach coin laundry), beach access, separate room for mom and dad. And, if we can talk the grandparents into coming - they would stay at same place, but their own room.

Places to consider? Thinking Islamorada or thereabouts so we can go north and south.
Jul 9th, 2008, 10:22 AM

Islamorada is nice but not sure of accommodation that would suit, however, Key West has a wonderful B & B with separate rooms surrounding a beautiful swimming pool, a smaller pool is also available, hot breakfast served in a gazebo next to the pool is wonderful. The name of the accommodation is Ambrosia, one block from Duval Street, but very quiet.
Jul 9th, 2008, 12:39 PM

Most family style vacationers to Islamorada consider renting a house for the week. It can end up being cheaper than multiple hotel rooms. There are a TON of such places available for rent.
Jul 9th, 2008, 02:25 PM

There would be lots of options available in Key West if you could stay a week. Truman Annex is filled with condos that would suit your needs perfectly.

Ambrosia and Ambrosia Too get very favorable reviews for family travel, as does Island City House. I think - but may be mistaken - that Island City House has a variety of accommodation options. The advantages to those two is that a weeks stay wouldn't be necessary.

On the less expensive side, the Key West Hibiscus, which is on the Atlantic side of the island gets excellent reviews and I believe the rooms have refrigerators.

On our first trip to Key West in the early 1990s, we spent a night at the Cheeca Lodge in Islamorada on the way down from Miami. That was the last time! It was very nice, but in my opinion, nowhere near as interesting as Key West. We normally fly straight in.
Jul 9th, 2008, 02:33 PM

I forgot THE most important thing. I notice you mention "beach access," which leads me to believe you're not familiar with keys beaches/ The keys are coral, so the beaches are man-made with sand that's been shipped in and most are very small. If you're looking for a true beach destination vacation, you should not consider the keys.
Jul 9th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

We prefer to stay north and not in Key West do we can daytrip north and south.

As for "beach access" - we're thinking a place to walk more than sunbathe. A place to dip your toes in the ocean and not really to swim.

Does anyone know of the Cocoplum or the OP Suites? We've also read about the Hampton Inn Suites which would certainly be big enough for a family of 5. So many places are for 4 or less people per room, esp. as we read about traditional lodging in the Keys.
Jul 10th, 2008, 09:09 AM

We stayed at the Cocoplum Tennis and Beach resort in Marathon..is this the place you are referring to?
Jul 11th, 2008, 03:39 AM
Original Poster

mrsd2fan: Yes, that is the place.
Jul 11th, 2008, 04:34 AM

Oops. My mistake - it's the Best Western Hibiscus, not the Key West Hibiscus.
Jul 11th, 2008, 05:59 AM

It was an "ok" place the kitchen was small and cramped and the place needed a good cleaning..not sure one villa is big enough for a family of five, could be I guess..there are 2 bedrooms, one with a queen size bed and the other had a twin bed and a full size bed. They do keep up the ground nicely and the convenience of each villa having their own laundry room was great! We stayed in Marathon becuase we wanted to be in the middle of the keys, so that it didn't take too long to get from one place or the other. I would like to make a restaurant recommendation (especially for breakfast) The Stuffed Pig...It's on the right on route 1 south going towards the 7 mile bridge.
Hope this helps
Jul 11th, 2008, 02:02 PM

Ocean Pointe Suites is a good choice. You may also want to look at the Mariners Club. It's in Key Largo but has a beautiful pool. Get pictures of the units as they are individually owned and decorated. Another choice is Dove Creek Lodge. That's in Tavernier (close to OP Suites). They have one and two bedroom units. No beach.