Florida SunPass and Rental Cars

Old Feb 23rd, 2016, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Florida SunPass and Rental Cars

Can I use a Mini Transponder on a rental car by holding it tightly up to the windshield. The instructions say it needs to be attached because the windshield acts as an antenna. I assume I cannot buy one in advance via mail because the application requires the license number. Is that right? Has anyone done this and did it work? I will be in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area so I assume I need one. If I don't have one and go through a toll reader is there any possibility of paying the toll the next day before its reported to the rental agency?
Old Feb 23rd, 2016, 02:40 PM

You can buy a mini-transponder window sticker at a CVS or Walgreens. If you put the sticker on the windshield for hte duration of your trip, then you should be able to avoid being charged by your car-rental company. Some companies are more reasonable than others when it comes to toll charges, so you may want to shop around. There's a lot of information on the Sunpass web site about what various companies charge. There are some places in Miami where it's impossible to avoid toll readers.
Old Feb 23rd, 2016, 03:55 PM

FYI, we were in West Palm Beach, Miami Beach and Fort Lauderdale last week. We opted not to get a SunPass, either from the rental car company (Sixt) or from a store, and had no problems getting around and avoiding toll roads.
Old Feb 23rd, 2016, 08:00 PM

Doug, how about you ELABORATING on "some of those places in Miami" where it is "impossible" to avoid toll readers? I live down here and I have YET to find anywhere in Dade County where it is impossible to avoid a toll.

Oh, and the decision not to locate alternative routes does not make avoiding a reader "impossible."
Old Feb 23rd, 2016, 10:50 PM

We are going to the Keys next month, and I believe there is no way to avoid toll roads.
Old Feb 24th, 2016, 05:49 AM

I am by no means an expert on cashless tolls in south Florida, but here's a list:

Florida's Turnpike Extension (SR821) between Florida City and Miramar.
Don Shula Expressway (SR874) between the Palmetto (SR826) and Florida's Turnpike Extension (SR821).
Snapper Creek Expressway (SR878) between South Dixie Highway (US1) and the Don Shula Expressway (SR874).
Dolphin Expressway (SR836) East and Westbound

I think a local would have a lot more to say about this.

Cashless tolls aren't that unusual. They are really a constant problem in the Dallas area. It's virtually impossible to get out of DFW and drive north, for example, without paying a toll unless you drive on city streets the whole way, which will triple the travel time. I've been told it's similar if you are driving south out of Miami.
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 08:18 AM

Check this out. It may help you decide from whom to rent (I changed a reservation based on this):

https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar