Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Florida Safaris -- Animal Kingdom Lodge, Busch Gardens or Animal Kingdom Park?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2005, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the process of planning a trip to Orlando/Tampa and would like to spend some time doing one or more safaris offered by the Animal Kingdom Lodge (where we are planning to stay), at the actual Disney Animal Kingdom park, or at Busch Gardens in Tampa. Which safaris offer the best opportunity to interact with the animals (especially giraffes -- feeding, petting, etc.)? Which are the longest? Any imput would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 07:30 AM

I am not familiar with Busch Gardens but at Disney there is no interaction with the animals in a physical sense-no petting or feeding of animals, it is all observing from the Jeep like vehicle. The animals can get very close to the vehicle but you are not permitted to touch them. The safari ride itself is about 20 minutes. There is an interaction area that you take a train to (separate from the ride) that has goats and other petting zoo type animals. The AK Lodge has the savannah area with many types of animals grazing about but I don't believe you interact with them unless I am unaware of some special program that allows you to.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 08:14 AM

You can pay extra to get close to the animals at Busch Gardens. I forget what it's called, but you go in jeeps I think to get close to the animals. Their web site should have the info.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 10:39 AM

I think you may be operating under a misaprehension.

These animals are not domesticated. They are wild animals - and even those that seem "cute' like a giraffe - are perfectly capable of killing someone if something untoward occurs. Any of the cats can obviously maul someone and even the monkeys can do serious damage if irritated. There are programs that allow you to get closer - but ther is no petting/feeding - as with a cow or horse.

The only places I know where you can actually touch/pet/feed the animals is a petting zoo - because the animals are infants - too small to hurt anyone.

If you go to Sea World you can get closer interaction with the small rays and some of the dolphins - feeding and touching - if the animals feel like allowing it.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 10:45 AM

The safari at Animal Kingdom is neat and the giraffes at one of the first you see....go get a fast pass for that ride as soon as you get there otherwise you will waste hours waiting...it is popular...they do have a petting zoo also and a you get a background look at the safari...also-the bird show in Asia is wonderful. Stay til the end to see the rare Spectacle Owl...he is spectacular. enjoy
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 09:01 AM

Check the Busch Gardens website; they have offered an opportunity to feed their giraffes in the past. Otherwise, there are two great zoos (Lowry Park in Tampa and Brevard Zoo in Melbourne - one west of Orlando, one east) where you can feed giraffes from the safety of a platform area. Both are great! If you choose either of the zoo options, go EARLY in the morning if you'll be there in the summer - giraffes seek the shade during the hot afternoon.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 09:09 AM

If you stay in the concierge section of the Animal Kingdom Lodge you have an opportunity to participate in a morning "safari" tour of the animals at Animal Kingdom Park, which is followed by a breakfast. This tour lasts about an hour and costs, I believe, about $50/person. Again, as somebody else mentioned, you will not be able to touch/feed the animals - just observe them.

You must tell the concierge people asap that you want to do this "safari" because it books fast, plus remember it's only available if you're staying in the concierge section of the AKL.

Cheers,
Tracey
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 10:13 AM

And if you go to any of these safaris, try your best to be there as early as possible, when the animals are most active - their activity level coincides with their feeding times.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 12:52 PM

The ability to stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge is what differentiates the animal experience. During your stay you will have many opportunities to get up close to the animals and to observe them (and be sure to get a room overlooking the feeding area). Busch Gardens had talked for awhile about building a hotel on site but they have yet to do it. I'd say that the AKL experience is more of a wilderness experience but there is a greater variety of species at Busch Gardens, IMO.