Search

Florida's Melbourne Beach Indialantic

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florida's Melbourne Beach Indialantic

Hello,
Looking for short term (3-4 nights) accomodations for the end of month- prefer as close to the beach as possible. Any small inn or B&B to recommend? I believe this was an area hit with a lot of hurricane damage? How are things? Merritt Island also looks interesting. Any information about this area and its current state is most appreciated.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 09:10 AM

Yes, the area received hurricane damage, most of which has been repaired. No problems with roads - beach erosion has been a problem up and down Florida's east coast, but most beach areas have had sand pumped back onto them by now. Sorry, can't think of small inns in MB. Cocoa Beach is better for that (try Beach Island).

Merritt Island is primarily residential.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 10:21 AM

There is one I know of. I think it's called the Windemere, and it's close to the beach.

Have no idea if the place is nice -- maybe you can do some kind of search to get reviews on it -- but it in the locale you want. I would think at this time of year there are plenty of vacancies.

As the previous poster said, most of the hurricane damage has been repaired.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 12:24 PM

I like to go to Melbourne to see the turtle's nest in the summer and usually stay at a place next to the Archie Carr Refuge and Beach. I can't remember the name and don't think they'd have a web site but I found this spot that looks nicer:
http://www.surfcastermotel.com/surfc...aster_home.htm

Be sure and determine whether they are on the beach or across the street from the beach. Honestly, it doesn't make that much difference there because the beach road is not so heavily traveled and the beach is not so deep that it's a trek. So you might consider something across the beach to save some money if that's a consideration.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info- Windemere looks pretty nice - right on the Beach. We've never been to the area, thought we'd invesigate after attending a wedding in Orlando and I hope to see the turtles.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 02:50 PM

Best turtle watching is generally south of Melbourne Beach proper, all the way down past Sebastian Inlet. Basically, the lower the population on the beach, the more likely the turtles will nest. They are frightened away by lights more than anything else.

I used to live in the south Melbourne Beach Area, and there was a family owned motel there, right on the beach, called the Sandy Shoes. I would bet they don't have a web site, perhaps not even an e-mail address, but they used to have very regular return customers. The location is about a mile and a half south of the southern city limits of Melbourne Beach.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 09:40 AM

I live in Melbourne and I'm a lifelong Florida resident. If you are open for suggestions, I would like to recommend that, instead of coming to Melbourne or Merritt Island for a vacation, go to Clearwater Beach - it is MUCH nicer and there is so much more do to there. In my opinion, the Gulf Coast has more beautiful water and white sand and a gorgeous sunset over the ocean. Plus, there is a LOT more to do there than here. Just my opinion - I've lived all over Florida and I went to Clearwater for my anniversary last year. Definitely consider it. If you aren't familiar with where it is, it is right next to Tampa. Good luck.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 10:42 AM

I think the original poster was going to be in Mlb. Bch. to begin with, so Clearwater seems impractical.

BTW, the Sandy Shoes has gone condo.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:38 PM

Stayed at the Radisson in Melbourne Beach at the end of March for 3 nights. It is right on the beach and worked out well for us!