(Florida Panhandle)Help..I don't have a clue

Old Feb 14th, 2004, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(Florida Panhandle)Help..I don't have a clue

This will be out first trip to Florida. We want to stay in the Panhandle, probably Destin, or Ft Walton area.
We need a great hotel(don't care for a condo), exceptionably clean, fairly reasonable rates, (about 190 or so), with a heated pool and on the beach.
We also need to know the best time to come down. When does the water get a nice temp? We already know to avoid spring break
Can anyone give me some tips, of where to go and stay?
No kids to worry about as ours are grown.
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 12:39 PM

We stayed at the Ramada Inn in 2001 in Fort Walton. Very nice hotel, beautiful pool, on the beach and reasonable. IMHO, I liked staying in Fort Walton better than Destin due to the density of highrises in Destin. Can't help with the temp. as we were there in mid August, which turned out to be a big mistake due to hurricane season. Keep in mind their in season is June/July as they are farther north than most areas in Florida. Hope this helps.
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 01:15 PM

If you have visions of going to warm and sunny Florida in the winter, that isn't going to happen in the Panhandle. It's an entire different climate that South Florida. The panhandle is essentially a summer resort area. You'd be smart to wait until May.
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 01:22 PM

I lived in Ft Walton beach once upon a time and we went to the beach everyday by March. One thing that you should find out about is the "green water". The gulf turned green from algae in June and stayed that way until August. Locals told us that it happens every year.
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses so far.
Wasn't considering coming until at least May/June. Green water? UGH! I was thinking more on the lines of turquoise like the Caribbean? No? Is the sand hot?
Also we like somewhat of a nightlife. Going out for a few drinks. Is this a possibility of some being close enough not to have to drink and drive?
Are the palmetto bugs a huge problem there?
We were also considering Pensacola.
I know I am asking a lot of questions, but we only take one vacation a year, and don't want to screw it up.
Went to Myrtle Beach last year and really like it.
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 05:35 PM

I think the green water LilyLace is talking about is June Grass. Every June this seaweed appears in the gulf, and dies by July. It never really bothered me, and it sure doesn't keep people away. The beaches are still beautiful -- this area is known as the Emerald Coast because of the turquoise water. The sand on the beaches is not hot, becuase it is white and reflects the sun.

Destin and Sandestin are my favorite places along the Florida Panhandle. Some people complain that Destin is crowded, but it definitely is the most upscale area, with the best restaurants and shopping. There is some nightlife in Destin. I recommend AJ's. They have a rooftop deck that overlooks the harbor, and usually have a good band...very laid back. You will probably have to drive or take a cab, though, because the condos are not near the bars.

A couple of good websites to look at are:

www.destin-fwb.com -- for general info on the area.

www.abbottresorts.com -- for info on condos/rentals.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 04:17 AM

Yes, Carte005 that sounds like what we experienced. You are right that as far as the USA is concerned the beaches on the FL panhandle are the most beautiful! I loved living there and would have stayed forever. The "June Grass" was a little yucky though.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 11:22 AM

ttt
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 08:00 AM

Carte005 - Any other suggestions for dining? We will be staying in Sandestin 3rd week of March. Stayed in Destin last year and didn't have any particularly great meals. The best was an Italian Rest. that served family style near Fuddruckers. Where is AJ's? Do you know anything about restaurants in Sandestin? We also ate at the Red Fish in Grayton Beach and that was good too.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 06:32 PM

AJ's is right on the Destin Harbor about a mile east of the Destin Bridge. Although AJ's has a restaurant on the ground level, I think the roof top bar is the reason to go. It is outside with a great view and typically a good band. Very laid back.

For restaurants, Back Porch and Fudpuckers (there is no Fuddruckers in Destin) are good as far as touristy seafood restaurants go. Two less touristy places that I recommend are:

1. Callahan's on Holiday Isle in Destin. This restaurant has a huge menu with good prices. This is not a seafood restaurant and is a good choice if you get tired of fried fish. I love their ribeye sandwich and prime rib. You can also select a steak from the butchers case for them to cook.

2. The Summer House in Fort Walton on the Sound is also excellent. This is a white table cloth restaurant with reasonable prices. I find it consistently good.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 01:24 PM

OK - so it might not be 75 or 80 in mid-March, but can anyone provide info as to what the weather MIGHT be like then? Given that I'm up to my kneecaps in snow right now and the wind is howling, it isn't going to take a whole lot to feel like anything is better than right here!
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 03:38 PM

The Destin/Sandestin area is great...Im from the South and we used to go every year during Spring Break.March weather is iffy...I have seen it be 80's as well as 50's..it could be either or both. I think I would try and wait till at least April .This area is full of beautiful condos ...not a lot of hotels .The Sundestin is a condo/hotel type place in Destin that is good..its centrally located and u can get a 1 bedroom there for about the same as a hotel and they have a great bar/restaurant on site..great grilled amberjack sandwiches.The Sandestin/grayton beach area is FAR more upscale than Myrtle Beach ever dreamed...have fun!
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 10:51 AM

Destin should be highs in the 70's in March and upper 50's to lower 60's at night.
go to destinparadise.com and click on weather - they will give you the average highs and lows for every month.