Old Dec 12th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florida Panhandle, Destin,Seaside etc..

We are planning a trip on May, 2007 to the
Florida panhandle, and we were wondering
about hotels, things to see., etc..
We are two couples, and we are leaving
from Miami, maybe we fly to Jacksonville?
we are figuring this out, and then we
can rent a car, so that its not too long
the driving.
Any suggestions?
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 12:46 PM

You can fly into Fort Walton Beach or Pensacola, both of which will be closer than Jacksonville.

Destin is very busy and very touristy. Just east of Destin is Grayton Beach, Seaside, and others. Definitely do not miss those areas.

May is a good month to go there as it's not too terribly hot yet. What are your interests?
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advise, Austin traveler,
I am going to check Pensacola.
My husband loves Golf, and I love the
Beach, and shopping, and art., etc...
we also heard that Panama city, is a
very good place right now for Investment, because they are going to
build an airport, pretty soon.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

I forgot to ask, what Hotels do you
recommend. We like the Resort type
or a Hotel, but preferable on the
beach or with a Golf course.
Thanks
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 07:30 AM

I'm sorry, I used to live in the area so I can't really recommend hotels. But for beach, golf, and shopping you need to check out Destin. Look into Sandestin. I believe they'll have everything you're looking for. The airport in FWB (called Okaloosa Regional I believe) will be closest to Destin, but Pensacola is just a little over an hour away.

Also, if you stay at Sandestin, you will be east of Destin and thus, closer to Seaside and the surrounding communities. That would be an excellent daytrip, especially for shopping and art.

I can't comment on Panama City being a good investment. I do know that unless it has undergone a dramatic transformation, it is not a place I would ever go on vacation.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 07:40 AM

I thought of another place you will probably love. Here is their website:

http://www.watercolorinn.com/

It's located east of Destin, sort of between Destin and Seaside. VERY nice!
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 09:25 AM

Do you mean Panama City or Panama City BEACH? There is a huge difference. Still, you have got to be kidding about the good investments here. Prices in the entire county still very much inflated, and although sales have slowed, there are no bargains to be had. Two, we have had an international airport for years. There is considerable controversy about building a NEW airport north of PC. St Joe Paper, the state's largest land owner in north Florida, donated money for the land. However, the airport will not be built for at least 7 -10 years. Even then, it will be very inconvenient for most residents, and prices of tickets are not expected to drop. It is usually cheaper to fly into Pensacola or Okaloosa Regional. Also, you won't find many golf courses open to the public in Pensacola. Better to try Destin.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again.
I will try Destin, and I tried the
flights to and Fort Walton Beach and Pensacola and there are no direct flights
from Miami, you have to go through
Dallas... so I think we will keep
looking for another option.
Thanks again.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

I checked the Water Color Inn, and its
Beautiful, and very Floridian, but the
prices are very High., at the time
we are going, the rooms are $495.00 per night.
Thanks anyway, because its an incredible
Resort.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Hi Gracie:
I meant Panama City Beach... and we
read the news of the airport, and that
its know a good place to invest on an investment magazine and newspaper.
They said that there are a lot of businesses and Restaurants hotels etc.. coming up. Nevertheless we will check
it out, just in case.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 01:11 PM

There are very few direct flights from anywhere to the Florida Panhandle. But you certainly don't need to go to Dallas! Check out AirTran. They have a layover in Atlanta. Or, fly from Ft. Lauderdale on Delta. That's nonstop to Pensacola.

Old Dec 13th, 2006, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I am checking FLL to Pensacola
in Delta.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 06:20 PM

If you are looking for investment properties, perhaps fly into Gainesville, get a rental car and drive along the coast from Apalachicola over to Pensacola. PCB has been called the Redneck Riveria. There has been a transformation of sorts lately, but a realtor I know of is moving from his beach investments to mountain properties. He expects slow sales in the area for the next 18 months or so.

SanDestin sounds like the closest to your description - resort, golf, airport, etc.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 07:19 PM

Since you are two couples, I thought of another idea for you if you find the resorts too expensive. How about renting a house or a condo? You can find some really nice ones on vrbo.com.

Old Dec 14th, 2006, 01:38 AM

Re: your trip to the panhandle

Somehow I landed on the Fedor's website as I was planning a trip to FL. I saw your post and I felt compelled to reply.

My husband and I love the Sandestin Resort. We've been there twice and we're planning to go again next spring. We're members of Club Intrawest, which has an interest in or owns (I don't know)the resort. There's a parent company involved. Anyway....... The resort is beautiful, comfortable and user friendly. There is a great transportation system and its a breeze to get to the beach, shops, restaurants..... The beach has to be seen to be believed! The sand looks like sugar! The image of that beach is my Happy Place.

A visit to Seaside is a must.

Also, you will be much happier flying into FWB or PNS I'm not sure, but I think we flew into FWB last May and it was an easy drive to Sandestin. We rented a car.

According to the husband, the golf courses in Sandestin look great but pricey so he hasn't tried them. Maybe someday....

We've stayed at Club Intrawest, which we love. The vacation homes are roomy, comfortable and very clean. The full kitchens are great. The staff is top notch. The other hotels look fantastic.

We live in the Seattle area and its a long way from Sandestin. Our entire family (adults and 3 college students) considers Sandestin the destination of choice within our "vacation home plan".
We like the beach and the Bay Town shops and eateries,the outdoor movies and concerts, the bike trails,...

Now, to be honest, I have to tell you about our experience last May (2006).
Everything was perfect until the weekend of the Senior pro golf tournament. It was the first year for this tournament in the resort and the transportation and parking systems were overloaded.

We actually left early because we could not stand the congestion of people and cars. A normal pleasant 5-10 minute (max) shuttle to the beach turned into an hour wait for the shuttle and another 30-45 minute wade through car and pedestrian traffic.

I've read that this tournament is to be scheduled every year on Mother's Day weekend. I don't know if this info is accurate. Our family has decided not to be in Sandestin on Mother's Day weekend as long as this tournament is held at that time. Other people may find this event more attractive.

There are probably ways to plan a vacation around the tournament but I'm not sure of the resources for that info. Many people would love that tournament environment. I say go for it and have a great time but I'll be at the beach with a good book and a drink --or is that a book and a good drink?

email me if you want a referral to Club Intrawest. You can probably get a good rate on a vacation home for your stay.
There would be a presentation involved at some time during the stay if you received the referral rate but the people you would encounter are really nice and friendly and the presentation isn't long or intense (at least the one my husband and I experienced).

Happy times!
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 11:40 AM

FYI - Fort Walton Airport code is VPS. Usually flights are cheaper into there than Panama City
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 12:23 PM

Try flying into Ft. Walton.