Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Florida March 6-15... warmest place for 4 girlfriends (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/florida-march-6-15-warmest-place-for-4-girlfriends-765957/)

katiekate Feb 5th, 2009 08:32 PM

Florida March 6-15... warmest place for 4 girlfriends

We WERE trying to make a cruise work for us, but because of ship schedules/cost/itineraries, etc. we have decided to forget the cruise idea for now, and try to find a lovely, warm place in Florida. (last minute of course) We will fly from DFW so options are endless. Atmosphere (for 25-30 yr olds) is most important. Not looking for crazy, wild atmosphere, just relaxing time on a nice beach that would attract other young adults. We are open to any suggestions. (except the Destin area; think it would be too cold)

sarge56 Feb 5th, 2009 08:38 PM

kk- We stayed at the Marriott in Marco Island. Loved, loved, loved it. If you go, don't miss the Godiva chocolate martini. mmmmmmm...

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...-club-and-spa/

stumpworks73 Feb 6th, 2009 04:27 AM

Stay south to be sure about warmest. If you've been watching recent temps, you know that tropical weather is not a sure thing. March is a better bet, but temps can still be cool mid state and north.

tambennett Feb 6th, 2009 04:43 AM

katie-You will need to go down toward the Miami area to have warmer temps!

Happy Planning:)

tambennett Feb 6th, 2009 04:49 AM

Katie-Did you look at Carnival's website? They have a great 7 day cruise leaving Miami on March 7 for around $559 pp for an inside cabin and usually 3rd and 4th person in a room is a little less! It's the Liberty which I think is a newer ship! Just a thought?

GoTravel Feb 6th, 2009 05:09 AM

South Beach.

Check the Doubletree Surfcomber. Excellent location and excellent hotel.

JeanH Feb 6th, 2009 06:16 AM

Key West. Lots of hotel options. Great restaurants. And, as close to a Caribbean vibe as you'll find in the continental US.

katiekate Feb 6th, 2009 06:29 AM

We all love the idea of Key West. Any suggestions as where to stay?

tambennett-thanks for the Carnival suggestion, but a couple in our group can't be gone for 7 days. That's one of the reasons we gave up the cruise idea.

katiekate Feb 6th, 2009 06:57 AM

As I stated previously, we are thinking seriously about KW.
I've copied the AAVacations list of hotels. (AA seems to have the best schedules for us) If you would be so kind to comment on any of them, I'd appreciate it. None of us have ever been to the Keys, so we need all the help we can get in regard to location and keeping in mind our ages. (fortunately, budget is not a huge issue.... don't want to break the bank though...lol)
Thank you.
Marriott Key Largo Bay Beach Resort
Radisson Hotel Key West
Hyatt Key West Resort & Marina
Heron House
Sheraton Suites Key West
Casa Marina Resort & Beach Club
Sunset Key Guest Cottages
Ocean Key Resort
DoubleTree Grand Key Resort
The Westin Key West Resort & Marina
Hawk's Cay Resort And Marina
Ocean Pointe Suites At Key Largo

SAnParis2 Feb 6th, 2009 07:05 AM

Of the ones you have listed I'd pick the Heron House. Most of the better places to stay (in my opinion) in KW, are smaller B & B type places in lieu of bigger hotels & chains. In addition, I typically stay on Simonton, a block from Duval, not sure you want to stay ON Duval. Also, the closer you are to Souernmost Point the farther you are from most other things, so consider that unless you plan to do a lot of walking. For example, Sunset Key is actually a ferry ride away from Key West & although a top notch place to stay, probably not where you want to be...there a lots of Key West posts on here, do some searching on here as well.

GoTravel Feb 6th, 2009 07:14 AM

The Hyatt Galleon or Westin Key West would be my first choice closely followed by Heron House and The Marquesa.

Sunset Key Guest cottages are really cool because they are on a private island. Ferry runs 24/7 to ground zero of Duval.

Hawks Cay and Ocean Point are not in Key West.

The Casa Marina is really nice but it is at the opposite end of Duval from where you want to be.

katiekate Feb 6th, 2009 07:27 AM

What about Sheraton Suites? Someone is our group has points with them. Is it in a good location? Is it nice?

bkluvsNola Feb 6th, 2009 07:38 AM

I agree that Key West would be warmest that time of year. I think it would be a great place to go to escape Spring Break crowds.

Key West is charming, historic, and has great weather.

katiekate Feb 6th, 2009 07:42 AM

Never mind the Sheraton... don't think that's what we'd be interested in.

mp Feb 6th, 2009 08:10 AM

Check out the Santa Maria Suites - we're staying here the week after you - gets great reviews on tripadvisor
http://www.santamariasuites.com/

GoTravel Feb 6th, 2009 08:38 AM

The location of the Sheraton is horrible.

katiekate Feb 6th, 2009 02:10 PM

Ditto on the location and bad reviews on TA.

OceanBreeze1 Feb 6th, 2009 09:44 PM

If you are looking for "a lovely warm place" you may find it in South Florida March 6-15 but you may not. Just be prepared. If you are thinking "beach & warm" it's not guaranteed in South Florida @ that time of year. Last year I was in Palm Beach the first week in March & it was freezing. Really cold & rainy.
The year b/f I was there the last 2 weeks in March & it was very windy & chilly (temps in the 60's) most of the time. On the other hand, in previous years, I have been to Palm Beach & Ft Lauderdale in mid March & it was " a lovely warm place" ( temps in the 70's & low 80's)
Why don't you go to the Caribbean?

JeanH Feb 7th, 2009 02:22 PM

My current favorite B&B in Key West is Cypress House. The rooms are ok, the pool area is decent, the breakfast is good, and the Happy Hour and staff are awesome.

A block off Duval, and just a few short blocks to the Bight, where my favorite bars and restaurants are.

The rooms aren't the fanciest, but they're clean, and the place is just loads of fun. We've met awesome people there from all over the world.

katiekate Feb 8th, 2009 04:40 PM

Okay, thanks everyone for your input. We have decided on the Hyatt KW Resort. Looks like the best location for us and hotel looks beautiful. Newly renovated rooms!! Any one stayed there lately?