Reload this Page >

Florida Keys Weather in December

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 01:25 PM
Kristy

This is probably a really stupid question but I am getting conflicted information from friends and family.
What is the weather like in the keys at the end of December? My family is planning a trip and I really want warm weather to take advantage of the activities in the keys.Also is it possible to take a ferry or plane to Cancun Mexico from the keys and if not is Miami the closest airport?

Thanks!

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 01:35 PM
xxx

It can be very cool, like in the 50's or 60's during the day and much cooler in the evening. I don't think you can take a ferry to Mexico from any of the keys.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 01:36 PM
max

COLD and RAINY! Never again will I go there during that time.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 01:39 PM
x

http://weatherunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=33040

This is a good link for weather.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 02:31 PM
Strange

Why go to weatherunderground for hard, factual information when you can get bizarre, inaccurate and uninformed views right here?

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 02:58 PM
Kristy

Thanks for the info.

Has anyone been there when it has been warm during this time?

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 03:21 PM
susan

I agree with the folks who suggest you check weatherunderground.com It allows you to check weather in past years on the date(s) of your choice. My husband and I were in Key West several years ago in January and it was cold and rainy but that was the exception rather than the rule. Though you can't always predict weather, I think you'll be safe assuming it'll be nice. We were there last February and it was beautiful. There's an airport in Key West.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 04:55 PM
George

We were there for a week over New Years a few years back. Beautiful, shorts/short-sleeve weather the whole week.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 07:39 PM
nancy

As a floridian for 15 years I can tell you the weather,in general, in December is warm & dry. It can be anywhere from 72-82 degrees and in the 50-60s at night. It is also the dry season so normally we don't get a lot of rain. The last few years we have had exceptions to this. The water temp is at a cool 72-76 degrees (which is too cold for me!) Most hotels down here do have heated pools. In response to your question about getting to Cancun, it is quite far away and you would probably have to go all the way up to Miami to get there. There are some small airports in Key West & Marathon, doubt if they fly to Cancun. It is a 3 hour drive from Miami to Key West. Oh by the way...if you're looking for a "beach" in the keys you will be very disappointed. Watch the wording on the hotel amenities for "sunning" beach, etc. That's sand (they put) near the water, but does not necessarily mean you can go swimming. There's lots of coral and plant life. There really is not many "swimming beaches"except for a few designated areas.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 04:13 AM
SA

The only direct way to get from Key West to Cancun is on a cruise ship. Otherwise you have to go back to Miami. As for the weather misinformation we plan our trip to Key West every year for Dec. or Jan. That is considered high season, we try to sneak in before the prices go up (usually around Dec. 15th. I'm think xxx & Max don't even know where the Keys are. Nancy providesgood info & I agree w/her totally. The water temp is fine for me but most places have pools, sundecks, etc. For those who don't know, move on.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 06:02 AM
xxx

Use weather underground. It is very informative and you will see the lows and hihgs and averages for that period of time. Of course I know where the Keys are!!! Maybe you don't. There is no cruise ship that goes from Key West to Cancun without starting at another destination. Get your facts correct. Water temp is much too cold for Floridians in the winter and even some tourist usually.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 06:07 AM
xxx

Not only can it get chilly it can also be very windy. This is one reason for the cool days and nights.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 06:07 AM
susan

Okay, I took my own advice and checked weatherunderground. I picked an arbitrary date - December 20th - and checked temperature ranges every year from 1994 to 2001. There was ONE year when it was chilly, and that was 1996, when the temperatures ranged from a low of 53 to a high of 62. All other years the lows were in the 60s and 70s and the highs were in the 70s and 80s. In other words, you'll be fine!

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 06:15 AM
xxx

The first 2 weeks of Dec are usually fine but its the last 2 weeks that seem the most unpredicatable.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 06:46 AM
Carl

We went two years ago at Christmas through New Years and I don't think we saw a day above 70. If I remember correctly New Years Eve day it didn't reach 60. Most people I talked to said it was a little cooler than normal but it was not unusual to get "cold spells" from time to time.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 08:53 AM
SA

Never said there was a cruise ship that went DIRECTLY (departing) from EYW to Cancun. Everyone knows that cruises don't originate in EYW. But those 2 stops are on many itineraries. I now notice you are back-peddling on the weather as well. We're not here to tear apart others e-mails but to provide helpful, ACCURATE travel info. Since you can apparently do neither, go elsewhere. Being from the Midwest, to me it is rarely if ever 'cold' in the Keys. It is all in what you are used to.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 08:59 AM
x

SA get a life!

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 09:31 AM
SA

Nice response. Did it take all day to think that up or do you have a writer.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 09:53 AM
xx

The bottom line here is just be ready for cool weather in December. Being a Florida Keys native I have seen temps drop into the 40's at night with the wind. If you experience anything during the day over the mid 80's you will be lucky. Plan on 70's during the day and 10-15 degrees cooler at night. Double check about the heated pool thing. Most hotel pools do not have a heated pool in the Keys because it is not usually needed. SA doesn't have to be so nasty but it is not unusual to meet some nasty people on the Keys questions.

You cannot get to Mexico directly from anywhere in the Keys - airports or ships. Miami would be the closest airport to do that sort of thing.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 10:05 AM
Native

Another thing to consider that time of year is the wind. It can be a factor if you want to do a lot of fishing, diving or snorkeling. The water can be very rough and cloudy. Sometimes the boats won't even go out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -