Reload this Page >

Florida Keys or Snibel for Family at end of November

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2001, 12:59 PM
Cheri

Trying to decide between the Keys/Key West and Sanibel/Captiva at the end of November. We are a family with 2 boys ages 9 and 12. Husband is very active, I love to walk and sightsee, boys love great pools, waves and kids programs. Can anyone help me make my decision? Does anyone have suggestions for great places to stay and also If the water will be warm enough for swimming at that time? Thank you so much, I love this website!

Old May 16th, 2001, 02:08 PM
Ron

Cheri,

I'm very partial to Key West. But I'm not going to talk you out of it. Key West is very touristy & very commericalized. The kids can have a ball suba diving, snorkeling, kayaking , fishing, jet skiing, & glass bottom boat tours as well as other tours & sightseeing. Also, their is a lot of attractions, museums, restaurants & of course shopping. Their is a great golf course on Stock Island. The beaches in Key West are not real beaches. All of the keys beaches are very nice, not big like you are use to, but all are of coral rock. All the sand is imported. But remember I'm partial! The water will probably still be warm enough, but you can check on that as the months past. I have a lot of recommendations for restaurants, lodging, attractions & whatever if you are interesting in going to Key West. I don't know your buget for accommendations or how long your stay will be, but I will help you if like for me to do so. I'm afraid I don't know to much about Sanibel Island. I post on this site & on Concierge, Independent Traveler, Frommer's "AOL" Key West travel message board, Arthur Frommers, Vacation Critics & a couple more.

Old May 16th, 2001, 03:55 PM
rey

sanibel is wonderful with kids. I have been there 5 times. We're going again next winter. The island is flat and has a bike path throughout it. You can rent bikes. The beaches are gorgeous. Most accomodations are right on the beach and also have heated pools. I've never been to the keys. My two boys are 9 and 4. they love it there.

Old May 16th, 2001, 05:21 PM
Travelman

Cheri.Skip KW its for tourists .You will be bored in a day. Besides its along ride to mainland.Sanibel is very nice but Very mellow and quiet.Nice shelling.If you spending some time with your family do FT.Lauderdale its got everything you need an its easy reach to Miami,Palm Beach and its got spice .Travelman

Old May 16th, 2001, 08:44 PM
Sue

Both have their advantages and disadvantes, but I think after a day or so your kids WILL be bored in the Keys/Key West. I've been to both, but wen Sanibel with 3 kids ages 4 through 9 and they had a ball. We stayed at the Sundial Beach Resort, which was not cheap, but was TOTALLY geared for kids. They had turtle races, ice cream socials for the kids, a warm water lagoon, 2 pools, and THE best shelling anywhere in the United States. We rented a pontoon boat and took the kids fishing and shelling for a day. Plus Captiva is only over the bridge and you can go vist & shop there one day. Neither place has what you'd call a wild nightlife, but my vote goes to Sanibel/Captiva!

Old May 17th, 2001, 05:49 AM
cforza

Thanks Sue. I was actually looking at the Sundial, as well as the Sanibel Inn and South Seas Resort. So the kids programs were good? Was there an additional charge? Is there a little town and good restaurants that aren't expensive (good for kids). Thanks a lot for the info.

Old May 17th, 2001, 06:13 AM
MarySue

Just stayed at the Sanibel Inn and would definitely return. Regular rooms are spacious with fridge and microwave. The beach area was great (that's what I was there for) but I thought the pool was small compared to other resorts. There were lots of families there Don't know anything about the kids programs but it seemed like a great place for families. Sanibel is a great place and I can't wait to go back.