Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   florida keys (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/florida-keys-364444/)

jenmegwaltk Oct 8th, 2003 06:00 AM

florida keys

This is our first trip to the keys.We are going in December for the holidays.We are traveling with four adults and three kids(8-12)any ideas were the best places to take the kids.We're staying in Long Key and plan on visiting all the keys.

RobertoB Oct 9th, 2003 02:45 PM

If everyone is comfortable with the water would suggest a kayak tour. Great way to experience the Keys up close. Snorkeling is another activity that should work.

turn_it_on Oct 9th, 2003 02:50 PM

You might try checking out the trip report I wrote in March on the Keys, just click on my screenname and scroll down until you find "Keys/Miami Beach: a long trip report". You're staying on Long Key, are you staying at the Lime Tree? That's where we stayed, we loved it. You can't go wrong with activities at Bahia Honda park, there's info in my report about that along with lots of other Keys info. Let me know if you have any questions.

love
roxy

clairelong Oct 9th, 2003 07:28 PM

I am in total agreement with Roxy.

keysmom Oct 11th, 2003 07:35 AM

Lime Tree Bay is at Mile Marker (MM) 68.5 and I'm guessing you are staying there or near there. Everything in the Keys will be a drive for you but here's my list of things to do that the kids (and kids at heart) will enjoy. I don't usually don't venture below Robbies so my list is focused on Islamorada. Buy Joy Williams The Florida Keys. It's a great guide to the area.
1. Feed the Wild Tarpon at Robbie's Marina (MM 77.5). If it's really windy, the tarpon don't come. But if they do, it's lots of fun. Maybe doesn't sound fun (buy buckets of dead fish to toss to big, live fish). But it is fun!
2. Robbie's has snorkel tours where groups of 3 or so go in little boats they get to drive. I haven't taken the trip but the boats look really fun. You can also rent Kayaks at Robbies and I encourage you to do so.
3. Consider renting a boat from Robbies or Bud 'n Mary's (MM 80) and explore the bay side. You might see wild dolphin. Take a picnic.
4. My kids love Chili Willie's for lunch (MM 86). They have good burgers and fish sandwiches. Great wings. It's a sports bar with an arcade attached.
5. For a nice dinner with kids, we like Morada Bay. The kids can roam the sandy beach while the adults enjoy a more leisurely dinner. Get there before sunset - it's a great spot to watch the sun go down.
6. If it's cold and/or rainy, there is a bowling alley between you and Islamorada (Fish Bowl). There is a 5 screen movie theatre at Tavernier (MM 91.5) There is an Italian restaurant in the same shopping center (Anthony's). It's good for a quick meal before or after a movie.
7. Check out the Dolphin Research Center (mm 59).
8. If there are budding golfers in the group, Cheeca Lodge (mm 82) has a very forgiving par 3 golf course. You can rent clubs.
9. I would not make the drive from Long Key back to Key Largo. It's a great place but there is nothing there that you can't get closer to your hotel.
10. Relax and have fun!

clairelong Oct 11th, 2003 08:31 AM

My suggestion is to snorkel at Bahia Honda Park-therefore you can do so right off the beach (clean nice shower), clean restrooms and spacious. Therefore if anyone gets tired they can relax on the sand...we loved this place...it is in long key or pine key i believe....beautiful waters...family operated...so nice. Also, before you walk inside they have a guide with coupons for dollars off. (That didn't hurt either). We ate in Islamorada at the Islamorada Fish Co., ...excellent food and outside and it was beautiful to sit outside on the waters. Have a great time and feel free to email me.