Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Florida in July/August with a terrific broad who can't get around much anymore...

Search

Florida in July/August with a terrific broad who can't get around much anymore...

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2003, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh boy. Help! My dad and I are trying to find a vacation to enjoy with his mother this summer. She lives in Florida, and while they usually fly to cooler weather together, this year she said she is no longer up for that. We would still like to be together in July/August, though.
Now, I KNOW it will be boiling, but isn't there SOMEPLACE in Fla. that stays a little cooler? Near the water? Any kind of elevation? (Insert your derisive snort here.)
I know this sounds like a lot to ask for, but I was hoping someone very familiar with Florida would know something/someplace I don't, and possibly point me in the right direction.
Although she has very limited mobility, she is still quite sharp. (Dad thinks Elderhostel would just be too much activity for her, though.) I was thinking some kind of "gentleman farmer"/winery/inn kind of thing, or a retreat, or a not-too-pricey resort? I need an affordable place we can feel comfortable/entertained for up to two weeks...with a realistic blend of mostly just relaxing and some activity. I am very open to suggestions!
(Groan!) Thanks in advance...
Old May 16th, 2003, 04:49 PM

What about a cruise? They leave from Fla. All you have to do is get her to the boat. I know it's hurricane season in the carribean but 2 of the islands (can't remember which 2) are outside the hurricane area. Maybe try looking on the cruise board here.
Old May 16th, 2003, 06:30 PM

I read in a guidebook, though I don't know it to be true, that the temperature in the Keys is more moderate in the summer, sticking out into the ocean as they do. The guidebook was referring specifically to Grassy Key, which I infer has shade trees. I'm sure it's still hot and humid but maybe a LITTLE cooler.

However, depending where in FL you're starting from, the Keys is a very long drive. Have you considering driving north to an inland elevated spot such as the Smokies in No. GA / So. TN / W. NC? It would be cooler there as well.
Old May 16th, 2003, 06:43 PM
Lola

I have absolutely no idea but I just wanted to say that I really got a kick out of this title..I hope to be a terrific old broad one day myself gt;)

Old May 17th, 2003, 10:32 AM

A cruise sounds like a good idea. They have handicapped rooms, if she needs it. Everything is air conditioned and she may like some of the activities and the shows.
Old May 18th, 2003, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Oh yeah, and did I mention my pops gets queasy at the MENTION of boats?
(Now, if only I had MORE limitations...)!
Thanks for the help, though...I thought a cruise was a super idea.
Any more specific advice regarding the Smokies out there? How far in the car from Ft. Lauderdale?
How many hours to the Keys? That idea intrigues me. Anyone with success stories visa vis a "long-term" (ten days to two weeks) stay at either a reasonable resort or other type of accessible lodging there? IS there such a thing?

PS Lola...Sounds like you're well on your way to "terrific broad"-dom already! My G'ma would approve.
Old May 18th, 2003, 02:28 PM

If you are going for that long, I would check into renting a condo. Check vrbo.com for condos in the Keys. I would suggest Islamorada or even Key West.

Old May 18th, 2003, 02:38 PM

I belive the trip from Fort Lauderdale to W North Carolina is about 19 hours. (MY mother is famous for stopping repeatedly though--so maybe 16) Prepare for some windy roads, but amazing beauty!
Old May 18th, 2003, 03:59 PM

The drive from Ft.Lauderdale to Islamorada is 2 1/2 hours with traffic. The keys are busy in the summer and when lobster season starts finding a place to stay is hard. July would be an earier month to find a place. A few Islamorada suggestions are Breezy Palms and La Siesta. There is alot to do or you can do nothing but relax. And the restaurants are great!!Cruising in the July/August months are great. The ocean is very calm. I get sea sick but have never been queezy on a cruise ship. Another spot to check is naples and ft. myers as the summer is off season and rates are cheap. Good Luck.
Old May 19th, 2003, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

You people are terrific...

As I shake off the horror of the image of traveling in a car for 19 hours with members of my immediate family, I glow with the warmth of humanity because strangers should try to help me with my meager problems.
I'll look into Islamorada, et al...
freespirit61, care to name names when it comes to your aforementioned "terrific restaurants"? This is a family that values food.
PS The cruise thing just isn't gonna happen, no matter how perfect a fit it is to my conundrum. Even more that seasickness, Dad fears being trapped afloat an inescapable island with his mother. Can any of us not relate?
Gratefully yours....
Old May 19th, 2003, 08:20 AM

Wouldn't your Dad's mother by extension make her your grandmother and not "a terrific broad"? We usually don't hear that slang outside of Turner Movie Classics. Straigthen up, son.

Old May 19th, 2003, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Hey, Brooklyn Bomber...

Sheesh. Just as I was having my "faith in humanity" moment, I get mocked over a mild term of endearment by one of my own. (Yep, our origins are in Brooklyn!) Just trying to liven things up and hopefully catch the eyes of some helpful folks. (Looks like I overshot.)
BTW, since I referred to her as "my G'ma" in a prior post, this clever shocking geneological discovery of yours has already been proven true.
Also, it's tough for this "son" to "straigthen (sic) up" when I'm actually a daughter...all right, a GRAND-daughter!

PS My witty and wise grandmother would be the first one to label herself a "broad." I learned the term from her, not from cable television, you know.
Old May 19th, 2003, 10:02 AM

Sorry, girl. I didn't recognize you as one of those precocious broads who comes along every once in awhile and turns the place upside down. Good luck on your Florida Caper--sounds like a lead pipe cinch!
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 05:54 PM

Islamorada Restaurants;
*The Islamorada Fish Co.-great fried shrimp and grilled catch of the day.
*Morada Bay-awesome sunset,drinks and upscale cuisine.
*Pierre's- very classy,pricey but worth it.
*Lazy Days-oceanfront-great caesar salad and cracked conch and 2 for 1 happy hour.
*Uncles-variety-very good.
*Mangrove Mikes-breakfast and lunch-very reasonable prices.
*Ganims-breakfast-sticky buns are awesome.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 06:35 PM

Okay, here's another person chiming in. About 18 months ago we took my Mom from Ft. Lauderdale to Key West, and she's confined to a wheelchair. The best advice I can give you is DON'T take her to Key West. After our visit there, I sent the Mayor and City Engineer a scathing e-mail about how unprepared they are for people in wheelchairs. One evening we had to literally take her out into the street an entire block just to find a location (which was a driveway and NOT a sidewalk ramp) to get her back on the sidewalk.

On the trip back we stayed at the Islamorada Hampton Inn, and they had a nice 1 bedroom suite overlooking the water. They have a very nice help-yourself breakfast area off the lobby (free with the room). We didn't have a handicap accessible room, but it was only for one night, so she roughed it (cool broads can do that, ya know) LOL.

Did you consider maybe Fort Lauderdale? They are very HC accessible, and the walkways along the beach were updated several years ago (nice and wide). Downtown is a nice Riverwalk and across from that there is a Museum of Discovery and Science/IMAX theater. You might be able to check out the afternoon "Carrie B" cruise to see if they can accommodate wheelchairs. It has an air conditioned room on the deck you enter. The tour is also guided and shows you all the fancy homes on the inland waterway.

Also, I wonder how St. Augustine is for people in wheelchairs?

Good luck on your adventure with Dad and the cool broad.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 07:08 PM

valkyrie,
I am happy to see this thread again
I have no advice for you but would like to hear about the trip when it is over, because I too, hope to be a terrific (older) broad one day~
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 07:46 PM

Just chiming in cuz the title was so intriguing! I can't imagine that the Keys would be cooler than St. Augustine. The Keys still have the humidity, and I don't think the trade winds like the Caribbean. The problem with St. A is the uneven stone walkways, though. Even if your G'ma is not in a wheelchair, the walking might be hazardous. Maybe the West Coast (of Fla)? Or is that warmer too? Please let us know what you decide and how it goes, Valkyrie!