Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Looking for hotel advice for areas close/around LAX

Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm heading to Los Angeles for a conference at the Westin LAX and am looking for a place to stay near the Westin but not in the LAX area. (I am a younger woman staying by myself- heard the area can be a bit seedy at night and that's when conference wraps up.) I don't know how bad the traffic is in the morning (around 7-8 am is when I'd be leaving) so I'd like to stay somewhere pretty close by, maybe 15-30 minutes away if possible. I do get great discounts at Choice Hotels, but I've been looking on the website and just can't tell which hotels would be good, safe, and close by. Thank you so much in advance for the help!!
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 07:29 AM

I would recommend staying in Manhattan Beach area. Very walkable and some good restaurants.
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 07:38 AM

Yes, the area around LAX can be rough. Stay west of "The 405" freeway. Not much to do around LAX but beach cities are nearby. You might consider a small hotel in nearby Manhattan Beach. There is a trolley service from there to The Westin and LAX area hotels. I think it is free and runs hourly. Manhattan and Redondo Beach are nice areas to visit with good beaches and restaurants. There is also good bus service to the area from LAX along Sepulveda Blvd.

A major bus terminal is located behind the Westin less than a 10 minute walk than can provide easy affordable access to any place within 30 minutes of LAX.

For car rentals, checkout Midway Car Rental at LAX. They have always provided me the best rates. Have fun in LA!

www.dmbtraveler.blogspot.com
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 08:07 AM
lvk

The only Choice Hotels that I would consider in the beach cities are the Quality Inn on Aviation in Hermosa Beach (about 10-15 minutes to the Westin LAX, or the Comfort Inn on Sepulveda in Manhattan Beach (about 5-10 minutes).

I can't attest to the actual quality of the hotels, but the areas are safe and close to shopping, restaurants and the beach. From either hotel, you are a 2-minute drive to the downtown areas of either Manhattan Beach or Hermosa Beach.

www.downtownmanhattanbeach.com
http://www.hbchamber.net/
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:07 AM

Traffic is bad

I'm assuming you'll have a car, the Comfort Inn at 850 N. Sepulveda (Manhattan Beach) should be okay. I would say more like 30 minutes during rush hour, not 5! Five will barely get you through the intersection at Sepulveda/Rosecrans.

If it isn't mandatory that you stay at a Comfort Inn you might scan the hotels in El Segundo north of El Segundo Blvd, which would save you maybe 15 to 20 minutes travel time in the morning. You may catch a good price. Eg Embassy Suites, Homestead Studio, Marriott Courtyard, Doubletree, Hilton Garden Inn. They are not near anything interesting, but then neither is the Comfort Inn. You can though drive to the beaches and the Manhattan Village Mall in a few minutes.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 02:31 PM

mlgb's recommendations were good:
Embassy Suites, Homestead Studio, Marriott Courtyard, Doubletree, Hilton Garden Inn. They are not near anything interesting, but then neither is the Comfort Inn.

LAX runs along the north side of El Segundo, so it's just a few minutes down Sepulveda. Also look at The Hacienda <http://www.haciendahotel.com/> which has great rates (be sure and ask for a south tower room - newer rooms). They also have a free shuttle and will take you to the mall, beach, etc. - things close by. Nothing to walk to except a Rubios and Ralph's grocery store across the street.