Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Florida Destination for Family of Three (with toddler) this Oct./Nov.

Aug 31st, 2000, 05:44 AM
l. fischer

Can anyone recommend a destination within Florida that will provide us with beach, things to do during the day and in general a clean safe area. If you can recommend a resort that would be great.

Aug 31st, 2000, 07:08 AM
topper

Aug 31st, 2000, 07:29 AM
Diane

I'd concentrate on the Gulf Coast -- the beaches are nice and the water less turbulent. When our kids were little, Grannie and Pops had a place on Siesta Key, which has one of the most beautiful beaches you'll ever see in America. The area is filled with restaurants in all price ranges (many kid-friendly). You might look for Florida tourism or Sarasota area websites for some links -- lots of the places are condo's and many are rented by month/week to vacationers. It's nice to have a kitchen with a toddler in the family. Another place to look would be Long Boat Key, but I think Siesta is more family-oriented.

Aug 31st, 2000, 07:36 AM
Janet Laden

We live in the Fort Myers area, and I agree that with children, the gulf coast is the best place to be. The water is relatively calm....shallow, and the beaches are very nice.
Fort Myers Beach, or Sanibel Island are my favorites.
Holiday Inn on Sanibel even has a restaurant similar to Rainforest cafe with animals and thunderstorms happening occasionally.

Aug 31st, 2000, 09:53 AM
Lily

I love Longboat Key for a nice relaxing vacation. I don't recall any "attractions" for little ones however. Another nice area IMO is the Dania Beach area (close to Ft Lauderdale), although I've never spent the night there, I've made it a habbit of spending the afternoon there before my flight out of Ft. Lauderdale airport in the evening.