Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Florida Car Rental in Feb. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/florida-car-rental-in-feb-670398/)

justjean2001 Jan 15th, 2007 04:55 AM

Florida Car Rental in Feb.

WHAT is with the price of FL car rentals? I realize it is school vacation for the northeast but I'm getting rates of $400.00
or so on every searh engine I try. We only paid $220.00 for airfare! Can I anticipate a drop as time gets nearer? We want to pickup in Ft. Myers ,drop in Orlando.

starrsville Jan 15th, 2007 05:05 AM

It's probably supply and demand.

Use kayak.com to search and compare rates.

NeoPatrick Jan 15th, 2007 05:32 AM

$400 for the whole month of February sounds like a pretty good deal to me.
Is that what you're looking at?

Meanwhile, with the new airport in Ft. Myers, comes something like a $40 facility and concession fee per week rental, as well as some other high add ons. It's funny that I am renting a car just one day in Feb. from Naples to Ft. Lauderdale for a TOTAL of $23. But then I'm not picking it up at the Ft. Myers airport, where the same car would cost me over twice that much.

j_999_9 Jan 15th, 2007 06:51 AM

I didn't see anywhere in the OP that showed the time period for the rental. I was assuming it was for a week.

bookhall Jan 15th, 2007 07:00 AM

Many times, car-rental companies move their fleet around to accommodate major events--such as the Super Bowl, in Miami, early in February....

Ackislander Jan 15th, 2007 07:00 AM

NeoPatrick, who KNOWS Florida has hit on an important point. It is VASTLY cheaper to get your car in town and return it in town than at the airport. I think he is not far off the mark in that a car that could cost $400 a week might very nearly cost that for the month if picked up in town. We typically took a limo from RSW to our condo in Pelican Bay, then rented at Hertz or Enterprise at Pine Ridge Road and 41, an easy walk from the condo. Last time a brand new Nissan Altima for about -$200 a week on a three month rental, IIRC. Dropping off at another airport will generate another host of fees.

mamajo Jan 15th, 2007 01:08 PM

In Ft. Myers on Daniels there is a Thrifty car rental that advertises 'rent here - NO airport fees', so I presume they have cheaper rates. I see their pick up busses there too. It's worth a try.

Gekko Jan 15th, 2007 01:20 PM

www.priceline.com

joesorce Jan 15th, 2007 01:24 PM

Prices will probably go up, not drop, since midFeb is hellweek in Fl.

There is an Avis near the Edison mall in Ft Myers and you can probably save $200 by renting there & returning to MCO. It's 15 miles from the airport, though, so I don't know how much a cab would cost. And if your plane is late, you run the risk that the non-airport Avis location closes around 6pm.

However, if you're spending the night at Ft Myers when you arrive, and can rent the next day or something....worth a shot.

NeoPatrick Jan 15th, 2007 01:40 PM

Gekko, mind explaining your suggestion of Priceline? Unless it's changed very recently they don't even DO one way rentals, so why are you suggesting the poster try Priceline?

Gekko Jan 15th, 2007 03:44 PM

book the car via priceline and change the terms at the vendor's counter ... I've done it several times ... easy enough.

rm_mn Jan 15th, 2007 04:23 PM

NeoPatrick, Check again. I just got a quote through Priceline to rent a car in Miami and drop it off in Key West.

Jr44 Jan 15th, 2007 04:28 PM

I suggest you book something that you can cancel in case the price goes up. Also, many companies charge a hefty fee or one way/drop off fees. Thrifty or National tend to be good in florida - try their websites directly or use costco.com

NeoPatrick Jan 15th, 2007 05:11 PM

Ah ha. You are right, there is now a way to do Priceline on one way car rentals. Too bad, they don't offer my town of Naples as a location, though.