Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Florida Beach towns-Miami and Palm-What to wear in December?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be visiting Miami Beach and Palm Beach next week.
We're really wondering what colors we should be sporting, even what type of clothes. I gather that a light jacket or sweater will be enough for the night. We're at the age when we're conservative dressers. I have some flowered, cotton dresses but they may not be in style anymore. Thanks.
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 04:00 AM

daph,
Welcome to Florida! Unlike other parts of the U.S. where tradition dictates that white is not to be worn after Labor Day, there really is no "seasonal dress code". Wear whatever is comfortable and appeals to you. The weather should be quite pleasant http://tinyurl.com/yhgqw7v next week. You should be fine with light jackets & sweaters, although short sleeve shirts and shorts would not be out of the question either.
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 05:34 AM

Locals will wear heavy winter clothing anytime temperatures fall below 60. Visitors will wear spring-type clothing and look at locals like they are nuts. Locals will do same to visitors. Visitors will be at beach as long as temp is 70 or above - no local goes to beach in the winter.

So whatever you choose to wear, you will fit in. And be sure to admire the Christmas lights on palm trees - I have family in south Florida and this never ceases to seem odd to me.
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 06:39 AM

gail,
How true, how true! It is now 62° outside and I am bundling up to go outside with sweatshirt & jacket. No doubt, I'll see a few visitors in t-shirts and flip-flops.
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 07:36 AM

Gail, very true! And I'm putting the lights on the palm tree tonight.

daph, you'll be fine with a sweater or light jacket. Floridians tend to wear more colorful clothing than you'll find in many parts of the country. Sounds like what you're planning on wearing will be fine.
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 07:00 AM

Today is the coldest day of the week in Palm Beach and the high is suppose to be 75 degrees...it will be above 80 the entire rest of the week. Palm Beach is a little dressier than any other city in South Florida. Jackets are often recommended or even required on the Island of Palm Beach between December and April..but white pants and bright colors are always welcome!
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 08:30 AM

miami is super sexy and sophisticated, flowered dresses will not cut it. capris and flats for day work, although most gals there are rockin' their stilettos. main point: you don't want to feel like a country bumpkin.
palm beach is resort casual and sophisticated. you can still get away with a lily dress and sandals.
dec could be 55 or 85...check the forecast. always have a light sweater for night. sports jacket for him for a better restaurant (no ties) or sweater and polo/golf shirt will do fine. if you're staying at someplace like the breakers, and you go shopping on worth, you want to look pulled together, even if casual.
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 10:56 AM

I pulled out my sweats to walk the dog this morning, must have been a bone chlling 65. Nice capris work, dressier sandals, leave the tennies at home. Resort wear.
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 04:08 AM

You cant you wrong with great jeans on Miami Beach. They work whether the weather is 80 or 50. If its hot pair with a cute tshirt or tank, if its cold pair with a sweater. You also cant go wrong wearing black.